Thread: Displayport will hitch a ride on USB Type-C standard !!!

Xtreme Member

Displayport will hitch a ride on USB Type-C standard !!!

"THE VIDEO ELECTRONICS Standards Association (VESA) has announced that Displayport AV, a surprisingly common also-ran cabling standard, will be fully compatible with the upcoming USB 3.1 standard."
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ype-c-standard
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

One day we'll have a couple of cable standards that do everything.
    And the cable draw of doom will be resigned to the history books.
    We can dream...
    Bring on the motorbikes!

I am Xtreme
    That's great news. Would be great if it cannibalized HDMI and Thunderbolt as well.
    One cable to rule them all!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Now all they need is to get it compatible with the apple II...

Joking aside, it's pretty cool news.
    I wonder if it'll end up replacing dvi, imagine our vga cards coming with 2 dozen usb connectors on the back .
    Eh something like that anyways, I'm just thinking completely pimped out usb i/o panel on the back of the mobo, every one of them capable of putting out video.

Then again..., you go and buy a cheap monitor and get hacked lol..., not really..

Xtreme Addict
    in terms of ergonomics USB is almost the size of a DP connector, DVI and HDMI are so bulky.... WE NEED THIS!!!!!

here is a decent tech writeup of the benefits.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...fit-every-hole
    Last edited by kuroikenshi; 09-24-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I hope it doesnt suffer from the DP cable woes. I bought two DP cables, disassembled them, found out that it's not following spec. Only a single GND cable is connected, and pin 20 was passed through. Pin 20 isnt supposed to be connected, and there's 8 GND pins that have to be connected to mitigate the noise from the high frequency of DP.

The head of the connectors for the cables that I bought were also flimsy. Never again, DP. I like the tech, but I don't like crappy cable manufacturers ruining the whole experience. It's gonna take years to flush the crap cables out of the market.
    Last edited by blindbox; 09-25-2014 at 10:27 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    I hope it doesnt suffer from the DP cable woes. I bought two DP cables, disassembled them, found out that it's not following spec. Only a single GND cable is connected, and pin 20 was passed through. Pin 20 isnt supposed to be connected, and there's 8 GND pins that have to be connected to mitigate the noise from the high frequency of DP.

The head of the connectors for the cables that I bought were also flimsy. Never again, DP. I like the tech, but I don't like crappy cable manufacturers ruining the whole experience. It's gonna take years to flush the crap cables out of the market.
    Just buy DP-certified cables. Crappy cables do not pass certification.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    This. If a cable isn't HDMI or DP certified then it probably isn't worth much.

Certified cables only cost what maybe a buck or two more than a crap one anyway.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    I always go for the shielded cables myself, but it's kinda hard to sort through the crap to find the ones that really are shielded.
    A ferrite bead on both ends is good too, though to be honest if it's shielded the ferrite bead probably can't get through it...
    But still.

I got a nippon labs shielded d-dvi cable for my setup.
    It's a bit stiff, not a big deal, but as always the screw things are kinda wack, always ends up unscrewing the things off the back of my vga card :\.
    Decent cable though.
    I also got a seemly nice cable with my monitor, it's black and white, real sharp looking and looked high quality, I assume it is since my monitor is rated for 144hz so the cable has to be decent.

For example:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812816165

I looked and the 6ft and 10ft ver's are crap, alu connecters, the gold 16ft will get a better connection.
    Though that's a bit long to be honest..
    There could be better quality cables out there but I would say this is an slightly above avg cable, not great, but good.
    Well maybe it is great.., I don't know, the dp cables are probably not as thick and clumsy as the dvi ones.

I do the same for psu ac power cables, well until I got this 14awg one with my latest psu...
    I really want to step up to medical grade, I keep eye balling the ones at my doctors lol...
    It's funny how they mix medical grade cables with standard ones around the office's and hospitals...(and no just because I eye ball them doesn't mean I swapped them out lol).
    Anyways I have 2-3 shielded 18awg cables lying around, one of them I use on my monitor, the others are spare.

Quality cables are one of those little things, add up enough little improvements and you end up getting past limits...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Here's the problem. http://www.displayport.org/products-..._manufacturer=

There's very few of them. And a lot of manufacturers claim certification but provided no proof. Amazon reviews said they're not following spec, and apparently nobody dismantled the cables like I did (or at least did a continuity test). I have no idea why the hell is it so hard to follow a bloody diagram (and make it twisted-pair/shielded) on the standard when you've been making HDMI and DVI cables for a decade.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    Here's the problem. http://www.displayport.org/products-..._manufacturer=

There's very few of them. And a lot of manufacturers claim certification but provided no proof. Amazon reviews said they're not following spec, and apparently nobody dismantled the cables like I did (or at least did a continuity test). I have no idea why the hell is it so hard to follow a bloody diagram (and make it twisted-pair/shielded) on the standard when you've been making HDMI and DVI cables for a decade.
    Probably a cost-cutting measure as usually.
    Last edited by zalbard; 09-30-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Addict

It is getting to that point...
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    ^^rofl!!!!!!
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな