Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New team Capt for XS WCG team

V3 Xeons coming soon!

New team Capt for XS WCG team

Guys, it's been maybe 1-2 years since Sierra_Bound retired and moved to Chile.
    It is time to elect a new team Capt.
    Three names have come up for consideration:
    Stoneageman
    Old_Chap
    OJ101
    All three are excellent choices IMHO
    Are there other names that should be included?
    What do you guys think?
    Toss all three names in a hat and choose one?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

HWiNFO Author
    I dunno, some pretty old dinosaur (=lots of experience) maybe?
    Last edited by Mumak; 09-22-2014 at 09:54 AM.

NooB MOD
    I don't know if calling Dave a dinosaur is going to go down too well

Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
    I dunno, some pretty old dinosaur (=lots of experience) maybe?
    Sometimes even us old dinosaurs realize that we are getting old, with much reduced energy.
    My time was with the Rosetta team and the end of that took more out of me than I can explain.
    It is time to "pass the torch to a younger generation" as JFK so eloquently put it over 50 years ago.
    Any of the three gentlemen mentioned would be a great choice IMHO.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

NooB MOD
    Whoever gets elected HAS to do something about another Supercomputer Week please
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Cruncher
    I say we have the contenders mud wrestle to determine the winner! In PINK TUTUS! Well there might be some problems with that. Logistics is one. Gettin' OC in a pink tutu probably like giving a cat a bath is another.

NooB MOD
    Thanks for the mental image of a dinosaur in a pink tutu
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Timely Suggestion & nominees MM. Have you checked with your nominees to confirm that they where truly interested in becoming our new XS WCG Team Captain?

We indeed need to rejuvinate our leadership to find a new XS Team Captain that can guide us in increasing our active XS WCG membership to boost the XS WCG Team productivity and its appeal to Worldwide crunchers. This will require much time and dedication from whoever takes over the XS team captaincy fron Sierra_Bound.

Can we possibly formalize the nomination process and have the candidates post their future vision and plans for our XS Team so that members can make an informed choice. We could also name one scrutener to whom XS members could PM their vote selection for the XS Captaincy. He would tabulate the votes and declare the winner.

It is imperative for our XS WCG Team long term survival that we boost our corporate image to enlist new members. Judiciously electing our new XS Team Captain is an very important first step.

Linux those diseases
    For the sake of transparency, I am currently the XS team captain at GPUgrid

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hello PG your response was enjoyable but predictable. I am a relatively new member of the XS WCG Team, Oct 2012, that would like to see it grow and expand so has to maximize our contribution to WCG research.

Our new XS WCG captain should be carefully choosen not only on past achievements but also on his vision and plans for our team's future. Our new captain needs to have time to dedicate to the captaincy task and a willingness to ruffle feathers to change our corporate image to make it acceptable to all people, regardless of nationality, religion or sexual preference. The young boy pushing the cart, shown in the second picture you posted above, should be able to visit our forum without any fear of encountering inappropriate postings.

Right now our XS WCG Team is an old boys team that has a wealth of knowledge but unfortunately tolerates inappropriate postings to some of its threads. If we wish to remain as such we can maintain a status quo. If we want the XS WCG Team to expand and prosper we need to carefully elect our new team captain and plot our future course.

Xtreme Legend
    I have a couple of comments:

I am perfectly willing to give it my best but I am entering (starting tomorrow) a period of uncertainty on the work front. I may not be clear on the outcome for some months.

I therefore wonder if, with this distraction, I can be the person that some might wish for in a Captain.

I am less than convinced that me and a pink tutu is a good thing for the team too

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    The post was removed by me because my vision is weak these days and I did not notice that it went too far. I changed glasses and doubled the size of the pic.

Anyway, yes this team is home to a bunch of friends. Good old boys I guess. Something MM has rightly always stressed is being friends and having fun. Yes sometimes things go a little further than they should. But I do not know of too many instances where MMs mom or one of the few girls here who posted here a time or two ever were made to feel uncomfortable. But that someone might have been offended by something posted at some time or another is a given. I do not like some of the political postings in the funny thread. But I am a big boy and allow for others freedom to post. While MM has called me out once or twice for getting carried away with my jokes, and rightly so, no one else has ever complained.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 09-23-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Linux those diseases
    As captain my motto would be: "Ask not what your captain can do for the team, ask what the team can do for your captain"
    Last edited by stoneageman; 09-22-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Some time back I PMed MM about needing a new team captain. Three days ago Otis11 and exchanged PMs about the team and the lack of activity and the slide in participation. That is when Otis11 started a few threads to get people posting. I had tried and failed. Otis suggested I post Milestones and welcomed new members. I have started monitoring the stats page and will post events.

The reason, I think, that things have slacked off are several. One we are coming off the summer season. Most of us cannot do as much in the summer due to heat. Second many went to Ripple Labs and may not have come back. We have not had a giveaway, challenge or Supercomputer Week for some time. There is also the inevitable attrition of peoples lives and priorities changing.

My concerns are that the relationships that have been built here over the years, sharing laughs, life problems, illness and good events and happenings continues. XS-WCG was at the top of the game, I would like to see us get there again. And as many know I am big on WCG projects and want to always get new people interested.

My vision of who would join us is mostly PC people, geeks, nerds, tech enthusiasts and those who are looking for a way to do something good for the sake of mankind. Maybe I am wrong but I do not see soccer moms, young kids or your grandmother getting involved in a distributed computing project team. They may run Boinc on their PC at the behest of others but not big on team activity.

The only complaints I have ever received for my postings were public, so no need to list them. Twice IIRC. I have never received a PM saying anything negative about my jokes. If I had I would have apologized and removed what was found offensive out of respect to that individual. But I'll tell you something. There is something on the internet to offend EVERYONE. If you are going to be offended I would suggest staying off the internet or only visit corporate web sites. Getting a sense of humor and allowing others the same freedom of opinion and expression that you want also go a long way in not being so bothered when you are offended.

Whatever you guys want for a team is fine with me. Personally I say f**k corporate. I worked in corporate america for years and know it well. You can have it.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 09-22-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneageman View Post
    As captain my motto would be: "Ask not what your captain can do for the team, ask what the team can do for your captain"
    May I get you a cold beverage? Perhaps a sandwich?

This is going to be tough. We have some excellent candidates. I was at first thinking a vote but really a draw from the hat might be best. Either way the team will not loose whoever it is.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 09-22-2014 at 01:23 PM.

HWiNFO Author
    I too think that one of the reasons of a decreased score is the summer. I for example am utilizing (since ~May) only ~6 cores out of ~50 I have. But temps are going down recently, so I hope to resume soon.

The other factor I believe was HCC1 on GPUs in the past, where people earned lots of points and this has brought more folks to the team. Remember our scores and position then? With the end of HCC1, lots of folks were hoping for another such run, but they lost illusions after months passing and still no other WCG GPU project in sight. After experiencing the power of GPU computing and WCG still relying on CPUs, I believe this has eventually caused a shift to other projects.
    I too said said to myself a few times why to bother with CPU computing if there's so much more that can be done with a single GPU... And still waiting for a new WCG GPU project...

NooB MOD
    I'm with PG on this one, I'm not keen on the idea of corporate. I want a fun team here with my friends and family - yes, I consider most of you to be extended family even if you have a thing for pink tutus I feel that at any time I can turn to any of you for help and that any of you can turn to me for help. I've experienced both here, you guys know who you are. I'd like to keep the close-knit vibe. I have nothing against having new members join, au contaire I would love it! I was once new here and was made to feel welcome from the get go. What I would like to see is new members joining the family and not just being another number in the corporate world so to speak.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    I'm with PG on this one, I'm not keen on the idea of corporate. I want a fun team here with my friends and family - yes, I consider most of you to be extended family even if you have a thing for pink tutus I feel that at any time I can turn to any of you for help and that any of you can turn to me for help. I've experienced both here, you guys know who you are. I'd like to keep the close-knit vibe. I have nothing against having new members join, au contaire I would love it! I was once new here and was made to feel welcome from the get go. What I would like to see is new members joining the family and not just being another number in the corporate world so to speak.
    I have always felt acceptance here. A 63 year old disabled UNIX geek with a rowdy sense of humor. Trust me I have not felt that acceptance too many other times in my life. I cannot think of a time anyone was rejected by the people here.

FYI- I was not the first one to use the pink tutu thing. But I have gotten some good mileage out it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I too think that one of the reasons of a decreased score is the summer. I for example am utilizing (since ~May) only ~6 cores out of ~50 I have. But temps are going down recently, so I hope to resume soon.

The other factor I believe was HCC1 on GPUs in the past, where people earned lots of points and this has brought more folks to the team. Remember our scores and position then? With the end of HCC1, lots of folks were hoping for another such run, but they lost illusions after months passing and still no other WCG GPU project in sight. After experiencing the power of GPU computing and WCG still relying on CPUs, I believe this has eventually caused a shift to other projects.
    I too said said to myself a few times why to bother with CPU computing if there's so much more that can be done with a single GPU... And still waiting for a new WCG GPU project...
    I did not think about that. Good point.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Many XS WCG members have commented regarding our Team's reduced ranking and the decrease in active membership and/or their participation. We need to worh together with our new captain to ID the root causes for these reductions to devise correctives actions. Posting etiquette may or may not be a player. Losing major contributors like Sam & HyperNova certainly is...

Simply hoping for or even getting a new GPU project to raise our XS WCG team daily production will not insure our XS WCG Team's long term viability. As Sam stated above
    "Ask not what your captain can do for the team, ask what the team can do for your captain"
    We do however need a versatile and knowledable XS WCG team captain who will be a catalyst and a guide to our internal review process.
    Last edited by jeanguy2; 09-22-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    A big reason XS-WCG became the powerhouse team it was was mainly due to MM. He made the team what it was. What the team is now are the people who found a home here. We need a captain that has the time and energy to drive the team back to where it was without changing the formula that kept so many of us here.

Xtreme Legend
    That there should some kind of strategy is surely no bad thing but some balance between "corporate" and "hare krishna" is more likely to be seen as the acceptable way here even though pg still has the saffron robes

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Being old and semi-senile I reread my posts in the hope they might make sense. In looking over this thread I could see where someone might get the impression I am campaigning for the position. I am not. Like MM I do not have the energy most days to do what needs to be done. My goal is simply to keep this team alive and growing doing what I can when I can.

I think the three candidates MM listed are three good choices. I cannot think of anyone else to add to the list. All three have what I consider the most important qualifications. Dedication to team and WCG, consistently participate in forums, helping others as they are able and their conduct is MM approved. The same question gets asked over and over. We answer each time. Many personalities and temperaments require some tolerance. All three have been Friendly, tolerant and patient.

I do look good in saffron.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'd like to address this quickly - as a programmer who has worked coding both CPU, Mutli-core CPU and GPUs (Both OpenCL and CUDA) - While the GPUs may have more brute force power, CPUs and GPUs are not in the same league. It's like comparing water falls (CPU - limited number but incredible amount of force) and a summer shower (GPU - Overall more water, but lots of little drops. Take a lot of effort to get useful work out of it). Your CPU can do calculations that may not be feasible on GPUs any time in the near future, but the work that can be done on GPUs can be done incredibly fast...

So while I understand the sentiment... there's no reason to get discouraged by this. The work we're doing very well might not ever be able to be done on a GPU! And it's useful work that, IMHO, should be done!

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Oj101 View Post
    That's my line of thinking - Many of y'all here are family. Heck, I'm more comfortable speaking with some of y'all than some parts of my extended family! (And I'm sure I'm not the only one with that case!)

But while I'm not keen on corporate, I think JG has a point - maybe corporate isn't the right word, but we do need someone willing to bring up points that aren't always popular and ruffle-some-feathers, so to speak. And we've gotten away from our family friendly attitude a bit, I know I've made a few questionable posts in that regard. To be honest, I was only a kid when I signed up here, so that's something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    A big reason XS-WCG became the powerhouse team it was was mainly due to MM. He made the team what it was. What the team is now are the people who found a home here. We need a captain that has the time and energy to drive the team back to where it was without changing the formula that kept so many of us here.
    We all owe MM our sincerest gratitude...

And yes - I think the Team captain should be willing to commit regular time, daily, everyday, with a rare exceptions when they find someone else to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    That there should some kind of strategy is surely no bad thing but some balance between "corporate" and "hare krishna" is more likely to be seen as the acceptable way here even though pg still has the saffron robes
    I vote we go back to our roots of family - rib each other fairly regularly, sometimes getting a little out of hand (but we do need someone to scold us when we do!), but definitely a jolly, friendly atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Being and semi-senile I reread my posts in the hope they might make sense. In looking over this thread I could see where someone might get the impression I am campaigning for the position. I am not. Like MM I do not have the energy most days to do what needs to be done. My goal is simply to keep this team alive and growing doing what I can when I can.

I think the three candidates MM listed are three good choices. I cannot think of anyone else to add to the list. All three have what I consider the most important qualifications. Dedication to team and WCG, consistently participate in forums, helping others as they are able and their conduct is MM approved. The same question gets asked over and over. We answer each time. Many personalities and temperaments require some tolerance. All three have been Friendly, tolerant and patient.

I do look good in saffron.
    Old? Semi??? ... under selling it a bit aren't ya?

Ok, back on topic... I sincerely agree that all 3 would do a great job. But here's what I would ask. The Team Captain should:

• Watch the form on free-dc (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...bwcg&team=8674) and any time someone joins, make a new thread just for them - then poked normal users who don't respond welcoming the new person through PM, just to say they're being missed and we noticed their absence. Keep posting in the thread every few days until the new member says hello. This makes them feel part of the community and they were more likely to stick around. (No matter how trivial we may think it is, it gives them somewhere they're comfortable posting too, which for a newbie, is a big deal).
    • Then any time they have a milestone that was recognized on free DC, post it in a milestone thread
    • For some big ones for them (try to do it 2-3 times/year for each user) make their own thread to get recognition.
    • Daily Numbers
    • Daily Pie

The welcome thread needs to be started by someone who's seen as a regular/important to newcomers (Preferably the Team Captain) - either through having lots of points, lots of posts, or both. Makes them feel recognized by someone important. The Daily Numbers/Pie can easily be delegated to helpers.

This will take a lot of time, but this was my recipe for GPUGrid way back when, and within 6 months or so we doubled the size of our team. Most people don't need the encouragement and recognition, but getting it is likely to help them stick around through the harder times, make them feel more at home/make more friends here, and even push a little harder to give it more as "I gotta catch Sparky!" Or "PG is gaining on me!" (The first was my motto for a good year and a half, the second, sadly never happened as I never caught PG either... but that's OT)

Sadly I don't think I personally have the time to do it, but I'd be happy to help out and cover the person doing it a few days/month if needed

I would also suggest that we revisit this at regular intervals (say every year?) That way someone can step up for now without feeling obligated to do it for eternity. That said, if the team captain is fulfilling their role and wants to continue, I say let'um! Also wouldn't be opposed to having a captain, with a "second in command" to help make sure things don't fall through the cracks.

That said - I'd ask who's interested in being considered? Are all 3 of you up for it? Is there anyone else we missed? I'm going to PM people before I start spouting any names or suggesting things. Feel free to PM me too!

And do we want to do names in Hats, Votes, what? I'm happy to do the tallying if you want an unbiased 3rd party...

It's late - I'm going to stop talking now. Let me know how I can best help!

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

HWiNFO Author
    I just arrived into my small office and noticed it's really cold here.. Oh, why? Well, yes - Milkyway's feeder is not running, so some of my GPUs were idle the whole night
    But what now, the heating is not working yet... Ah, yes! Let's load all CPU cores with WCG to warm up !
    Now, isn't this good marketing?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast