Thread: Getting rid of the DUST problem.

Xtreme Legend

Getting rid of the DUST problem.

We all have an issue with dust I am sure, so it occurred to me that maybe it would be worth looking at creating a cleaner, if not a clean room environment in which computers could happily crunch away.

My investigations led me to a short video on youtube that seems to be health related but might work for us all..... what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5APw_SLUU

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have been doing the same thing for a few months now. Using a 3M Filtrete furnace filter and Wal Mart box fan. After 2 months the filter has turned black, so it is filtering something. My sinuses are not a whole better and it is still kinda dusty, still need to blow out PCs every 3 months or so. But I live in the finished basement and my daughter, her husband, 2 grandkids, a large dog and 2 cats live upstairs. Central heat pump with also a furnace filter. With kids, cats and dog daughter runs the vacuum almost daily, so lots of hair and dust.

I will upload a pic here in a few. I am not real satisfied that it has accomplished alot but I may need another one to cover my area. 1 may not be enough. And it may be helping more than I think as I no longer have much of a concept of time and it might be longer between dustings than I think.

Last edited by PoppaGeek; 09-21-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Xtreme Member
    One of the Minnesota crunchers used AC filters to cover the open sides of their rigs and the fans on graphics cards on any naked rigs. I went out and bought some filters and never did try it. I should try it, especially since my T7500 has problems collecting dust and cat fur. Though I am ordering a vacuum soon with the pre-nuptial presents/loot we are getting, so that should take care of the cat fur.....
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Used dryer sheets make good PC filters. I have used them with good success.

Xtreme Legend
    Yeah Poppa that is the idea, not attached to the rig but cleaning dust from the whole room with a view to there being less going through the rigs

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Yeah Poppa that is the idea, not attached to the rig but cleaning dust from the whole room with a view to there being less going through the rigs
    Well my friend I wish I could say it was a great success. The pic was to show that it does work, it is filtering something. But I do not feel it does a great job. But it is also cheap. So all-in-all might be worth it, just don't expect not to see some dust.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Well my friend I wish I could say it was a great success. The pic was to show that it does work, it is filtering something. But I do not feel it does a great job. But it is also cheap. So all-in-all might be worth it, just don't expect not to see some dust.
    Hey PG - Is that in an area with regular traffic? I have to question how effective it would be in other circumstances. I would think in a closed room where the door is rarely opened it could help quite a bit... I mean it's still vented so not going to make it perfect, but should improve things dramatically... right?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Having been sick most of my childhood due to allergies, once I had my own place and money I have gone to great lengths to rid myself of as much dust and other allergens in the house as I could afford. I blow out my PC every 18 months now, only thing in there is super ultra-fine dust now. But for your cost your moving in the right direction scrub the air and move it around, clean your flat surfaces often and if you vacuum use one that filters the outbound air. Most people only run the central air when they heat or cool which means you only use the filter on it then. I have found changing your fan setting to on and always circulating the air works much better in keeping dust at bay as well as the house a more even temperature. If your having sinus issues you may want to invest in a UV light for the central air system I found that to be almost as affective for me as the upgraded filters in mine, and less costly then retro fitting for a larger filter system. I can provide links and more info if needed.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I run the fan in my bedroom. The door is open except when I slumber. There is also a vent for the house AC/heat. I have been thinking and I think it is probably more than I let on above and I think if I ran another in the rest of my space I would see more noticeable results.

@MaxCFM You have my sympathies on the allergies. I never had them until I got Fibro, now it can be so bad I cannot see well enough to type on a PC. Doc says eyes are fine for my age. Headaches that are unbelievable. To have suffered as a child and to continue to really sucks. Hopefully something will come along that really helps someday.

xtreme energy
    Does anyone know about cases and paint they use that does not attract dust? Is there even such paint with such properties? The reason I ask is because I currently own an Enermax case and to my surprise it does not attract dust at all or to be more precise it attracts very little dust. I've had numerous cases over the years in the same room conditions and they all required regular cleaning (at least wiping the top and) at least once in 1-3 months. However, this Enermax case is amazing and I haven't cleaned it for more than a year because it sits there pretty much without dust. I do not think they have it as a feature in their case description but this for sure is a nice thing to have I do not know how else to explain it.
    Last edited by kiwi; 09-22-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxCFM View Post
    Having been sick most of my childhood due to allergies, once I had my own place and money I have gone to great lengths to rid myself of as much dust and other allergens in the house as I could afford. I blow out my PC every 18 months now, only thing in there is super ultra-fine dust now. But for your cost your moving in the right direction scrub the air and move it around, clean your flat surfaces often and if you vacuum use one that filters the outbound air. Most people only run the central air when they heat or cool which means you only use the filter on it then. I have found changing your fan setting to on and always circulating the air works much better in keeping dust at bay as well as the house a more even temperature. If your having sinus issues you may want to invest in a UV light for the central air system I found that to be almost as affective for me as the upgraded filters in mine, and less costly then retro fitting for a larger filter system. I can provide links and more info if needed.
    As a fellow allergy sufferer who's allergic to life... please share...

I run the fan in my bedroom. The door is open except when I slumber. There is also a vent for the house AC/heat. I have been thinking and I think it is probably more than I let on above and I think if I ran another in the rest of my space I would see more noticeable results.

@MaxCFM You have my sympathies on the allergies. I never had them until I got Fibro, now it can be so bad I cannot see well enough to type on a PC. Doc says eyes are fine for my age. Headaches that are unbelievable. To have suffered as a child and to continue to really sucks. Hopefully something will come along that really helps someday.
    I think you have too much airflow and dust for the limited amount of filtration... Maybe try putting the filter on the fan intake and pointing fan towards the computers to make sure the air in their area is the cleanest?

Also, a better vacuum helps immensely! Seriously. It's incredible. That and wiping down hard surfaces regularly helps a bunch.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Does anyone know about cases and paint they use that does not attract dust? Is there even such paint with such properties? The reason I ask is because I currently own an Enermax case and to my surprise it does not attract dust at all or to be more precise it attracts very little dust. I've had numerous cases over the years in the same room conditions and they all required regular cleaning (at least wiping the top and) at least once in 1-3 months. However, this Enermax case is amazing and I haven't cleaned it for more than a year because it sits there pretty much without dust. I do not think they have it as a feature in their case description but this for sure is a nice thing to have I do not know how else to explain it.
    Interesting. What is the case model number? I'll do a bit of research.

xtreme energy
    It is Hoplite ST white.
    Last edited by kiwi; 09-23-2014 at 07:17 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    It is Hoplite ST white.
    Seems to be nothing more than Steel, Electro-galvanized, Cold rolled, Coil Steel with some sort of painted or powder coated finish. In small print "Options vary by countries or regions. Product specifications are subject to change without notice." So no telling what the coating might be without contacting them and finding someone with a clue. It's been my experience in the past that a well grounded case seems to collect less dust as there is very little static build up on any of its surfaces which typically attract dust to start with.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    As a fellow allergy sufferer who's allergic to life... please share...
    Some of it is simple, understand MERV and that the standard requires the test to be conducted at 1200 CFM. Not all manufacturers test at 1200 CFM. Also MERV also uses test dust that contains carbon. As a result no Electronic Air Cleaner can be tested under MERV. The carbon negates the electronic section of the air cleaner. Also number of air changes per hour in a given Sq Ft. True HEPA systems are very expensive I went down the road of Electronic/Large Filter (MERV11) with a UV light downstream.

What I chose I have linked below, I have nothing to gain if you buy it. Figured I could save someone the year or so of digging and calling I went though to get it down to those products. The exact model of UV system I have is no longer made (but they still make the bulbs!) Once a year is a filter change and every 2 years is a bulb change for me. I have been MUCH happier/healthier since installing them. Also I had all the ducts cleaned in the house to start out on a mostly clean slate and they have stayed that way.

Filter System

UV System

I had my doubts about the Air Oasis products so I got one of there table top units for my home office, it worked so well I got the whole house version and gave mine to friend who suffers as I do and you couldn't pry that thing away from them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    I think you have too much airflow and dust for the limited amount of filtration... Maybe try putting the filter on the fan intake and pointing fan towards the computers to make sure the air in their area is the cleanest?

Also, a better vacuum helps immensely! Seriously. It's incredible. That and wiping down hard surfaces regularly helps a bunch.
    I will 2nd the vacuum, if you don't filter the outbound air on a vacuum you are just collecting the big stuff and sending all fine stuff back into the air. Try finding a MERV 13 filter 20x20x1 and sticking it on the front of the fan, the cheap box fans don't like things on the intake side I've burned up a far share leaning that. Try to seal it against the fan as best you can any air getting around it doesn't get filtered.

If you need something to prove how bad the air is try one of these Laser Particle Counter and or a Air quality test kit.

Hope this was helpfull
    Last edited by MaxCFM; 09-23-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    It is Hoplite ST white.
    I found out about the same as MaxCFM. I could find no specific info except the SECC material used. There are anti-dust paints and static will draw dust so it is probably well grounded and they used a anti-dust type paint.

Xtreme Cruncher
    MaxCFM - Thanks for the info. Looks like a great system. Once I settle down in one spot I'll look into those more. For now, My Blueair 503 will have to suffice as it's the best portable solution I've found (and I move pretty close to every year, if not a little more often...)