Thread: Dengue News Article

Xtreme X.I.P.

Dengue News Article

Hello folks,

I just finished reading an interesting news article on the use of GM mosquitos to fight Dengue. I found it very interesting an unbiased.

You can read the report by Renee Alexander here: http://preview.msn.com/en-us/news/ma...lth/ar-BB3yLlO

FYI...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Very good read! One thing they overlooked: GM mosquitos that produce 95% male offspring (Decimating the population in a self sustaining manner) - http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...male-offspring

The thought here is that you eradicate a single species of mosquitoes, wait for the malaria which that species carries to die out, then reintroduce it and move on to the next species of mosquitos. pretty soon you've gone through all of the species and eliminated malaria in all of them. (It's my understanding that each strain of malaria is dependant on a certain species or just a few species of mosquitos) You don't want to permanently remove the mosquitoes because lots of mosquito larvae are food for other bugs and fish...

And there is a promising vaccine by Sanofi Pasteur!: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

To my understanding, passed phase III clinical trials, so should be out on the market soon...
    Last edited by Otis11; 09-20-2014 at 01:08 PM.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    A bit off track but do a Google search about using viruses to fight cancer. Some promising results and an interesting development, especially since we can't even fight the virus that causes the common cold.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    A bit off track but do a Google search about using viruses to fight cancer. Some promising results and an interesting development, especially since we can't even fight the virus that causes the common cold.
    Haha, well that's cuz the common cold isn't actually stable... or that common for that matter. It's caused by a bunch of different mutations of what a very long time ago may have been only a small family of viruses, but currently, it's an incredible number. You vaccinate against any handful and there's little reason to believe you're going to get one of those strains...

lots of interesting articles there though PG - I'll have to get back to you.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???