Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Role Call!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    You still remember what you're all up and Irish about?

If so, how about I buy the next round?

Yeah that's about right. Ask a guy a question then wave a few mugs of beer around. What was the question?

If the question was beer why are you asking?

I don't need teeth or a walker for a beer ya know. Kids these days.

Last edited by PoppaGeek; 09-30-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I'm still here, 5 machines on line.

SAM: "Wondering if the team would be better off having it's own site as several others do?"
    But then it wouldn't be Team XS would it?
    And us going somewhere else would hardly boost activity on the rest of the XS site, which might occasionally attract new members.

XS is/was mostly about desktop computers, plus the construction & tweaking thereof. I think computing newbies are being seduced by touch-screen mobile devices, and those are not even tweakable let alone extreme. And Intel hasn't come up with anything in the CPU arena that is a big enough advance to warrant an upgrade cycle since the advent of the 2600K.
    Result: stagnation

Heard on radio today that MS now have permission to sell their Xbox into China, but it remains to be seen whether it will be a commercial success. Western consoles were already available on the black market (and what self-respecting Chinese gamer after such a device would go anywhere else), local consoles have a different pricing system (free basic games + charged add-ons), and most of the zillions of Chinese gamers are doing it on their phones anyway.

Keep on crunchin ...

I hear you on the CPU front. I'm still running my 2600k because, well, it running at 4.5GHz doesn't really push me to want to spend the money on something new that might get me a couple percent more.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Yeah that's about right. Ask a guy a question then wave a few mugs of beer around. What was the question?

If the question was beer why are you asking?

I don't need teeth or a walker for a beer ya know. Kids these days.

Who needs to drink to drink anymore?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nice to see ya BlindFreddie!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I hear you on the CPU front. I'm still running my 2600k because, well, it running at 4.5GHz doesn't really push me to want to spend the money on something new that might get me a couple percent more.
    And yeah - that's why my rigs are sitting at 2700k's or 3770k's just depending on when I built them and what deals there were... No reason to upgrade since as far as I can tell...

Now once these 6 cores trickle down to the masses...

6 core? Psh, I want 12.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    6 core? Psh, I want 12.
    I was/am kind of waiting for 24c/socket.

The electric bill is giving me second thoughts already though lol

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Maw View Post
    I was/am kind of waiting for 24c/socket.

The electric bill is giving me second thoughts already though lol
    They won't go much beyond 145W/socket even for server parts... If they get 24 cores per socket, it's going to be because they got the power/core down...
    (So I'll still be wanting to run 4...)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Eh, I log into this forum when I'm *very* bored. For example, right now I'm restoring my Windows install to my new SSD in my laptop, and that's going to take another 20-30 minutes.

I might start doing more crunching now that it's cold out. I don't have A/C in my house so I always stop crunching in the summer. It just depends on how I feel about it.

You guys probably won't see me again until November or something as there's nobody really here anymore, the info is outdated, and I've moved on to better pastures after getting banned from the news section a number of years ago with no warning, no explanation, nothing.

Can't treat me like crap and expect me to be a hardcore participator. From the few that have discussed this in the past, that seems to be a common theme on why some people left...

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    Eh, I log into this forum when I'm *very* bored. For example, right now I'm restoring my Windows install to my new SSD in my laptop, and that's going to take another 20-30 minutes.

I might start doing more crunching now that it's cold out. I don't have A/C in my house so I always stop crunching in the summer. It just depends on how I feel about it.

You guys probably won't see me again until November or something as there's nobody really here anymore, the info is outdated, and I've moved on to better pastures after getting banned from the news section a number of years ago with no warning, no explanation, nothing.

Can't treat me like crap and expect me to be a hardcore participator. From the few that have discussed this in the past, that seems to be a common theme on why some people left...
    I'm still here!
    I can understand your frustration as I had it myself.
    I sat back and watched two people ban and ban and ban until my Irish temper kicked in and opened my mouth.
    That admin is gone.
    I was not aware that you personally had been banned from that section.
    Not that it will change your mind but just from principle I am going to fix that right now.
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Josh: I just checked and you were not banned from that section..Access for all sections for you was set at defaults
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, I was restored a while back but thanks for checking Movieman. If I remember correctly the PM telling me that I was restored to "full access" sat in my box for like 5 months before I read it because I just never logged in anymore. I asked him if he could tell me why I was banned and I don't think I ever got a 100% straight answer. But I know there was some discussion about Fukushima at the time and I was trying to explain things since (at that time) I had worked in the nuclear industry for more than 10 years. And I know that thread got hot and heavy with people both pro-nuke and anti-nuke and I may have ended up in the crossfire somewhere.

Ultimately it was one of those things where after getting burned despite being so active and then to not even get a straight answer as to what was going on I felt it was time to move on. What was particularly frustrating was that my account was banned and you can't even email the administrator when you are banned. So it's very much a "STFU and don't ask a question until your ban is done". Not exactly friendly to be banned and not even be able to email someone to ask why you were banned, let alone defend yourself if you are wrongly banned. So it was a "thanks but no thanks" situation. Even a forum user messaged me with a "LOL you got banned bro" message. To make matters worse I did manage to get an email for an admin and asked why I was banned and I got a reply along the lines of "not sure, you'd have to ask the person that banned you.... when your ban is up." What kind of answer is that!? Yeah, because everything will be very clear weeks later when you are unbanned.

Back when I was first unbanned I remember someone else was asking the same question. He had donated and had gotten the same treatment. I don't know about you guys, but if I had been someone that had donated and then to be given such a slap in the face with a ban, no email to contact, no way to even know why you were banned, and then to be told to "wait until you are unbanned and ask that individual" it was just a disgusting experience. Whether a donator or not, whether I had 5000 posts or 5, that's just not a good way to run a forum if you want people to be here.

Just felt like amateur-hour and I wasn't too thrilled about it, so I left. And from what I've read and seen I wasn't alone with that behavior.

I still have fond memories from "before the ban", but it's one of those things that I think has sailed and won't be back. At least not without serious incentive or motivation. I'm not saying someone should roll out a red carpet for me, but the motivation and incentives just aren't there for me right now to make me want to log in here alot. The magic that this place had is... gone.

Also answering the PM..

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    Yeah, I was restored a while back but thanks for checking Movieman. If I remember correctly the PM telling me that I was restored to "full access" sat in my box for like 5 months before I read it because I just never logged in anymore. I asked him if he could tell me why I was banned and I don't think I ever got a 100% straight answer. But I know there was some discussion about Fukushima at the time and I was trying to explain things since (at that time) I had worked in the nuclear industry for more than 10 years. And I know that thread got hot and heavy with people both pro-nuke and anti-nuke and I may have ended up in the crossfire somewhere.

Ultimately it was one of those things where after getting burned despite being so active and then to not even get a straight answer as to what was going on I felt it was time to move on. What was particularly frustrating was that my account was banned and you can't even email the administrator when you are banned. So it's very much a "STFU and don't ask a question until your ban is done". Not exactly friendly to be banned and not even be able to email someone to ask why you were banned, let alone defend yourself if you are wrongly banned. So it was a "thanks but no thanks" situation. Even a forum user messaged me with a "LOL you got banned bro" message. To make matters worse I did manage to get an email for an admin and asked why I was banned and I got a reply along the lines of "not sure, you'd have to ask the person that banned you.... when your ban is up." What kind of answer is that!? Yeah, because everything will be very clear weeks later when you are unbanned.

Back when I was first unbanned I remember someone else was asking the same question. He had donated and had gotten the same treatment. I don't know about you guys, but if I had been someone that had donated and then to be given such a slap in the face with a ban, no email to contact, no way to even know why you were banned, and then to be told to "wait until you are unbanned and ask that individual" it was just a disgusting experience. Whether a donator or not, whether I had 5000 posts or 5, that's just not a good way to run a forum if you want people to be here.

Just felt like amateur-hour and I wasn't too thrilled about it, so I left. And from what I've read and seen I wasn't alone with that behavior.

I still have fond memories from "before the ban", but it's one of those things that I think has sailed and won't be back. At least not without serious incentive or motivation. I'm not saying someone should roll out a red carpet for me, but the motivation and incentives just aren't there for me right now to make me want to log in here alot. The magic that this place had is... gone.

Also answering the PM..
    I can't disagree with anything you just said. All I can say is that as an admin I watched what was going on, my temper got hotter and hotter until I finally said Enough of this sh_it! and spoke my mind.
    I should have done so much sooner. That was my error.
    All I can say is that from July 2013 and 2 years before that I was suffering heart issues that had me as weak as a kitten but didn't know why until the heart attack on July 17,2013.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Josh I do not blame you one bit and I think you did a very good job explaining it in the last post. I remember you mentioning it before.

While we would love to have you crunching again your presence in the forums would be a greater value to the team. We had some fun in the GPUGrid forums, IIRC. I always thought well of you and I think others in the DC team forums did as well. But I think you are only punishing yourself to continue with this past event. Sh1t happens in life to all of us. People clash, screw up, do bad things to each other. Daily. It's the past. Let's move on. It seems to me the only people you are punishing are the people who would like you back and yourself.

Just a little friendly advice from an old man who has had a hard time himself learning how to let go and move on. But has learned it makes his life a little easier when he does.

Cheers!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I was going to post something, then I realized I had nothing clever to say.

Sad thing is, my post count is highest at this forum.

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspace View Post
    I was going to post something, then I realized I had nothing clever to say.

Sad thing is, my post count is highest at this forum.
    Well you could say I'm kicking Movieman's butt in the dailies!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Well you could say I'm kicking Movieman's butt in the dailies!
    That's your fault for selling those Xeons to me. Single highest producer I have

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspace View Post
    That's your fault for selling those Xeons to me. Single highest producer I have
    Sell chips? Moi? You must have confused me with someone else...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Still above ground, I drop by occasionally and look around dont have anything running waiting on cooler weather

Xtreme Cruncher
    road-runner

was looking through the XS Folding@home stats today and was wondering what happened to some of the names listed. Glad to see at least one is still around.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    Still above ground, I drop by occasionally and look around dont have anything running waiting on cooler weather
    Nice to see your ugly puss around here!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Nice to see your ugly puss around here!
    Good to see some of us still around, yea I was browsing around saw you had a heartache dave, glad you still with is take car of yourself man. I finally quit smoking started vaping...

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    i too am still here, had to take a break from computers to afford another hobby but i still have like 26cores running 24/7

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    i too am still here, had to take a break from computers to afford another hobby but i still have like 26cores running 24/7
    Only 26? What a slacker...
    (That's pretty close to what I'm at too... life, huh?)

Xtreme Member
    Still around too. Not to much on the forums as there hasn't been posted much lately.

But checking here and looking at the stats every now and then.

And crunching 24/7 for the team. I had to make a few changes because of power usage and noise. Down to 3 rigs. All i7's (2600k, 3370 and 4770k) Every thing else I have is updated or not efficient enough.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123