Thread: New PSU for X99 5960X ?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Question New PSU for X99 5960X ?

Looking to buy a new PSU for Asus Rampage V Extreme, 16 GB DDR4 build, will be using a GTX 780 SC 3GB with an upgrade to a GTX 980 8GB when they come out, no intention of going SLI. also 3 HD's and 3 SSD's and 1 Optical drive, one PCIE soundcard using a molex power plug.

Was looking at the SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1000W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply - Black

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...23&subcat=2465

Good, Bad, alternative suggestions welcome ?

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    In terms of wattage? Sure, you'll be plenty fine. Superflower don't have the best reputation, though, although this particular unit reviewed very well at jG (who are one of the more definitive reviewers for PSUs). My personal preference, if you have to use OCUK and want a 1kW unit, I'd go for the Corsair RM1000 and save a few pounds.

Honestly, if you never have any intention of using a second graphics card then there's really no need to be looking in the 1kW range. 750W+ should do you just fine, even at full load.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Enthusiast

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    In terms of wattage? Sure, you'll be plenty fine. Superflower don't have the best reputation, though, although this particular unit reviewed very well at jG (who are one of the more definitive reviewers for PSUs). My personal preference, if you have to use OCUK and want a 1kW unit, I'd go for the Corsair RM1000 and save a few pounds.

Honestly, if you never have any intention of using a second graphics card then there's really no need to be looking in the 1kW range. 750W+ should do you just fine, even at full load.
    Thanks, will bear that in mind, I have a Corsair HX1000 already for my current 3960X Rampage IV Extreme but its about 5 years old now and warranty will be running out, heard the latest Corsair are badged generic PSU's? the older one were badged high quality Seasonic i think ones?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Im putting together a cheap(ish) 2011 machine on 5820K with two 290X or 980`s (depends onm pricing and litecoin perf of the 980) and im going with corsair HX850i ,it should be ok with room to spare (no hardcore oc tho).
    First, superflower is a OEM for some other manufacturers like kingwin
    Second they make very good gold and platinum units ,i have superflower 550W platinum unit and it was flawless.
    As for newer platinum HX corsair line, read jG reviews, he gave both 750W and 1KW unit excellent notes.Oh, and you should be fine even with 600W unit, 1kW is overkill and even will be costing you extra in power draw because it probably wont run in the best efficiency wattage.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks.

I've actually ordered the Superflower 1000 Platinum after looking up the JG review on it SoulsCollective mentioned, although I don't need the extra power right now I might in the projected 5 year future I intend the PSU to last and with my new 5960X 8 core overclocked figure its best to err on the side of having plenty of overhead too

Thanks again.