Thread: Choices, Choices. GTX 780ti vs GTX 880

Choices, Choices. GTX 780ti vs GTX 880

I currently have a worklog posted in that forum on the computer I'm putting together which was planned to have 2 GTX780ti's in SLI using EK's waterblocks and EK bridge.

With the rumors that the 880's are just around the corner, and the unavailability of the exact ASUS stock card I was going to overclock I'm left with some choices that I'd like some input from the community on.

Choice 1 - Get two ASUS 780ti Direct CU II cards (which are available and cheaper than the stock card was), or spend a significant amount more to get the ROG versions and just move forward. This could entail a potential disappointment that when the 880's come out they may be cheaper and significantly better in what was currently a dream build coming to fruition.

Choice 2 - Wait out the rumors and put the last build purchase of video cards and installation on hold until 880's come out and EK makes waterblocks and bridges for it. This could be a significant wait.

Choice 3 - Finish the build with hardlines that are a CPU only loop. This makes replacing video cards super easy, allows me to use a cheap card for moment and better cards in the future which I could then include the video cards in - the price being the pain of draining, and a waste of materials having to do the loop twice.

Choice 4. - As #3 above wait it out with a cheap card not in the loop and add the cards later in a second loop. This would save me draining and wasting materials but force the purchase of a second (and probably drive bay style for space considerations) Pump, Reservoir and Radiator.

What's your thoughts? Other choices? Anyone have experience with this in the past, such that they can confirm a realistic amount of time after card release that EK would have blocks and bridges for it?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I want to stick with ASUS for whatever consequences that might entail.

Xtreme Guru
    I'd wait for reviews of 880 to find out one thing - if they support HDMI 2.0 or not. Might be handy for normal SST output to UHD TVs without DP. After all UHD/4K might be where extra gpu power is needed, not normal monitors of today, where good enough framerate can be got even with less powerful and expensive cards.

Xtreme Addict
    880 or 980?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

EK wrote me back no immediate plans for a GTX 980 water block and bridge (but that could be something they just have to say until announced), so that was the straw that broke the camel of indecisions back. Ordered and received the 2 GTX 780ti OC's!

I am Xtreme
    The Ti's should in theory be faster. But quite a bit more expensive at the moment.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sybrsean View Post
    EK wrote me back no immediate plans for a GTX 980 water block and bridge (but that could be something they just have to say until announced), so that was the straw that broke the camel of indecisions back. Ordered and received the 2 GTX 780ti OC's!
    Haha EK make blocks for almost any non reference GPU, they sure as hell will make one for a ref 980.