Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell`s 5K Monitor Incoming!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    Based on nothing but history and common sense, next generation usually brings in ~20% improvement over current, or? I don't assume to speak true true... merely my best guess.

Two Titan Blacks is an insane configuration, one is expensive enough. And according to you it struggles with keeping a stable 60fps in most games, I do assume that this is on "Very High Quality" so I guess you can improve the framerate quite a bit, to make it somewhat acceptable across the board.
    This is far from reasonable or even attainable for no more than a tiny part of the community, even on this Forum. Not that it matters on case of the argument.

So no, I don't agree that current gen cut's it, nor do I think next will improve enough for it to become reasonably attainable. Which was the basis of my initial itch.
    2 780s 6GB will do fine as well...

Also, next gen gpu launches? You clearly have not been around for.. gtx 8800x, gtx 280x...

GTX 780 Ti cant play all games at 60fps 1080P... Let alone gtx 770...

Xtremeish
    Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty View Post
    2 780s 6GB will do fine as well...

Also, next gen gpu launches? You clearly have not been around for.. gtx 8800x, gtx 280x...

GTX 780 Ti cant play all games at 60fps 1080P... Let alone gtx 770...
    I would agree, at low settings a pair of 780's will probably do just fine. Very similar to the titans, at a more reasonable price.

You are absolutely right about some GPU launches being incredibly successful, I remember the 8800GTX, I had one =)
    And that just might happen again, but it's less likely than a ~20% improvement.

Yep, and that is skirting my point. Thanks for acknowledging that.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    I would agree, at low settings a pair of 780's will probably do just fine. Very similar to the titans, at a more reasonable price.

You are absolutely right about some GPU launches being incredibly successful, I remember the 8800GTX, I had one =)
    And that just might happen again, but it's less likely than a ~20% improvement.

Yep, and that is skirting my point. Thanks for acknowledging that.
    Exactly, how can you play at 60 fps on A 2005 1080p w/o lowering down the settings to low...

That is why 1080P is no longer standard, which is replaced by 4K followed by according gpus. Which is exactly my point.

Xtremeish
    Exactly, how can you play at 60 fps on A 2005 1080p w/o lowering down the settings to low...

That is why 1080P is no longer standard, which is replaced by 4K followed by according gpus. Which is exactly my point.
    Not sure what these years you refer to are, but my monitor seems to be from 2010, and it's 1200p. Ancient CCFL glory.
    (HP ZR24w if you wanna check)

This is where I wonder if you are serious or not, while it's true my rig certainly can't run all new games at 60fps constant at max settings. It seems capable at medium to high at the given resolution, with rare drops below 60fps.

1080p still is the "standard", and the most popular resolution in the world, on most platforms.
    According to Steam statistics, it's the most abundant amongst gamers as well.

What does according gpu's mean?

Time will tell how fast 4k catches on, Steam statistics will keep an eye on that. But I am sure you can consider it popular/normal within two years time.
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    Not sure what these years you refer to are, but my monitor seems to be from 2010, and it's 1200p. Ancient CCFL glory.
    (HP ZR24w if you wanna check)

This is where I wonder if you are serious or not, while it's true my rig certainly can't run all new games at 60fps constant at max settings. It seems capable at medium to high at the given resolution, with rare drops below 60fps.

1080p still is the "standard", and the most popular resolution in the world, on most platforms.
    According to Steam statistics, it's the most abundant amongst gamers as well.

What does according gpu's mean?

Time will tell how fast 4k catches on, Steam statistics will keep an eye on that. But I am sure you can consider it popular/normal within two years time.
    1080P was introduced in 2005...

To your point, if you don't need max settings, then 2 780s will get ya 60 fps in 4K with seldom drops on medium settings.

Xtremeish
    1080P was introduced in 2005...

To your point, if you don't need max settings, then 2 780s will get ya 60 fps in 4K with seldom drops on medium settings.
    Uncertain about any singular date regarding 1080p, but similar pixel densities have been around with CRT for a long time.
    An old and a bit interesting example:
    http://www.geek.com/games/john-carma...-1995-1422971/

Well, it's not that I don't need max settings, it's simply happens to be a decent trade with frame rate and graphic quality, without having to spend an arm and a leg. And to be fair, two 780Sli@4k while mostly achieving 60fps< would probably put you very close to "low" in the graphics settings, and while the aliasing properties would be excellent @4k, it's not going to "look as good"; figuratively speaking of course.

Xtreme Member
    Uncertain about any singular date regarding 1080p, but similar pixel densities have been around with CRT for a long time.
    An old and a bit interesting example:
    http://www.geek.com/games/john-carma...-1995-1422971/

Well, it's not that I don't need max settings, it's simply happens to be a decent trade with frame rate and graphic quality, without having to spend an arm and a leg. And to be fair, two 780Sli@4k while mostly achieving 60fps< would probably put you very close to "low" in the graphics settings, and while the aliasing properties would be excellent @4k, it's not going to "look as good"; figuratively speaking of course.
    Most games will be at medium @60fps. For that you might need to OC 780, which have np doing ~1220 mhz.

Yea, AA is not needed at 4K, GK110 wont run it. In some games AA looks decent, unlike a lot of console ports.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Talk about upcoming video cards all you want, smooth gaming at high settings on 4k or 5k is still a pipedream for the majority of enthusiasts never mind gamers in general. The video card performance is just not really there yet unless you spend a ludicrous amount of money and are willing to spend that amount every GPU refresh to keep up with more demanding, newer titles. And there's not that many people willing to throw that sort of money at gaming.

In a few years when 4k displays are cheaper and you maybe don't need 2+ highest end cards to get a playable experience then maybe 4k will catch on with enough gamers then. Until then 4k gaming is going to be a very niche thing.

Xtreme Member
    Yep, 4 year old gk 110 gpus no longer...

Xtreme Member
    According to Nvidia Game 24 Gaming moment webpage, the final date of updates is 17 September. Followed by an announcement I am expecting the announcement on 17-18th September.

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    Talk about upcoming video cards all you want, smooth gaming at high settings on 4k or 5k is still a pipedream for the majority of enthusiasts never mind gamers in general. The video card performance is just not really there yet unless you spend a ludicrous amount of money and are willing to spend that amount every GPU refresh to keep up with more demanding, newer titles. And there's not that many people willing to throw that sort of money at gaming.

In a few years when 4k displays are cheaper and you maybe don't need 2+ highest end cards to get a playable experience then maybe 4k will catch on with enough gamers then. Until then 4k gaming is going to be a very niche thing.
    Is not only gaming, with a 5K display you can use that quality for productivity and do pixel perfect gaming at 1440p without reescaling, and 1440P is a res that can be handled with some gpus.

If the panel is great like the 2713H, 60 hz at 5k, 120hz at 1440p I'll take a 5k display once they cost about 1500
    Last edited by Kersh; 09-13-2014 at 02:01 AM.

after having my ty experiences with my AOC 4K display, i don't think i will upgrade any monitors before i can get 30" borderless 4K+ OLEDs ... or maybe go with some insane 3-5 projector setup

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Mentor
    Does the 4K resolution is more standard ? or not ?.
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    after having my ty experiences with my AOC 4K display, i don't think i will upgrade any monitors before i can get 30" borderless 4K+ OLEDs ... or maybe go with some insane 3-5 projector setup
    I think you're referring to this little puppy....

Red Ray
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    I think you're referring to this little puppy....

Red Ray
    Unlikely.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatRaceTin View Post
    I think it is more of a standard than 5k in media production and in cinema, yes.

Having said that more media producers are finding a value (considering the cost) in shooting in higher resolutions than the final one since you have more options in post-production. You can shoot 4k even if your target is 1080p, because you then get options to zoom in or reframe shots in post-production which would have been a "problem" with a 1080 shot frame. So I'm sure that as prices come down we'll see more content acquired or created at way above 4k, but the distribution standard is likely going to be lower than that (I'm betting 4k).
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

Xtreme Member
    Hopefully they?ll get their flagship monitors working right this time. Still trying to get a good replacement for my 3014.
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 // Intel Core i7 920
    SuperTalent PC3-12800 3x2gb
    ATI 4870X2 2gb
    Samsung 1TBx6
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w
    Coolermaster Cosmos
    Dell u3014

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    Unlikely.
    tell me of any other Laser projector you know that runs at 4k res out there on the market for under $10k.... if it ever sees the light of day.
    Last edited by kuroikenshi; 09-19-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    tell me of any other Laser projector you know that runs at 4k res out there on the market for under $10k.... if it ever sees the light of day.
    http://saveatheater.com/wordpress/wp...-projector.jpg
    Red Ray is a 4k media player, that is a picture of Red Laser... which isn't on the market.

in case someone still thinks the 4K AOC is a good deal

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtremeish
    Laser projectors look really promising for several reasons, why the negative attitude? It's just too early to pass such judgment on it until we see this market mature out of it's infancy, but the LG Hecto laser does not seem too bad.
    Could not find any proper reviews unfortunately, but this guy has some experience with it:
    http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/t...-screen/page-2

Decent projectors are really expensive btw, although they do drop look a stone in value... luckily. But you really need a "batcave" to grasp the experience and not to mention the "worry" with the lamp.
    You can get hold of some nackered second-hand ones, but you better be able to use a soldering iron:

Kuroikenshi, you initiated this very strangely with Eventaur and Iconyu... what are you really trying to get across?
    Last edited by Kallenator; 09-20-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    lol first post in almost a year, just making small talk.

my cinematographer told me about red ray when it was initially going to be a laser projector.

now its a player and the 4k projector is nowhere to be seen.

anything else anyone might have inferred about what I said are just out of character and intent.
    talk was 5k monitors and so I thought....4k projectors.

done

Xtreme Member
    So the new iMac has a better display than this, 5k SST display and a full PC for $2499. This is just the display, worse than the one in the iMac (MST) and costs the same at $2499...nice

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by astrallite View Post
    So the new iMac has a better display than this, 5k SST display and a full PC for $2499. This is just the display, worse than the one in the iMac (MST) and costs the same at $2499...nice

I tend to believe that this is the same display of the Dell.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatRaceTin View Post
    Yes 4k has 2 standards thanks to consumer electronics and the 16:9 TV craze.

UHD 4k 3840 x 2160 - Ultra High Defintion for TVs
    DCI 4K 4096 x 2160 (native 4k) - Digital Cinema Initiatve's 4k standard

5k has not been standardized yet. Just individual companies interpretation of what it will be. (doesn't mean its wrong)
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast