Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell`s 5K Monitor Incoming!

Xtreme Member

Dell`s 5K Monitor Incoming!

UHD is dead. Not really, but it would seem that displays bigger than UHD/4K will soon be coming to market. The ability of being able to stitch two regular sized outputs into the same panel is now being exploited even more as Dell has announced during its Modern Workforce livestream about the new ?5K? Ultrasharp 27-inch display.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/d...itor-5120x2880

Happy I skipped 4K

Xtreme Guru
    Well, there's only one rational responses...

Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Ib4 6K next year

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Glad I stuck with 1440p surround.

I can't imagine double the vertical lines & being able to read them on the same screen (or squinting hard & trying harder). Save for photo & possibly video editing, driving this thing in games is beyond the reach of quad Titan Blacks, huh?

$2500 isn't terrible, at least. Should have been 32" or 36", imho.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post

I can't imagine double the vertical lines & being able to read them on the same screen (or squinting hard & trying harder). Save for photo & possibly video editing, driving this thing in games is beyond the reach of quad Titan Blacks, huh?

I think 4K would look nice on a 50" tv, but I agree for a monitor 1440p is enough for me. I actually keep one 1080p monitor around just for email purposes because I don't like having to squint at my text.

I personally would stick to 1440p and upgrade my sound system instead, but even if you're not an audiophile, that money could still go somewhere useful (like video card or dedicated beer fridge).

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post

As people say, Titans are on a 4 years old GK110.

Maxwell cards will drop on 18th of this months....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty View Post
    As people say, Titans are on a 4 years old GK110.

Maxwell cards will drop on 18th of this months....
    I'm pretty sure the first Kepler release was in 2012.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    I'm pretty sure the first Kepler release was in 2012.

Was not Titan powering Titan Super Computer back in 2011?

Anyway, It is close to 2015, Kepler has been in development for ~1 year. It puts it at ~.3.6 years(almost 4).

Xtreme Enthusiast

Anyway, It is close to 2015, Kepler has been in development for ~1 year. It puts it at ~.3.6 years(almost 4).
    Nope, they built it using Fermi and upgraded it with Kepler.

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I think 4K would look nice on a 50" tv, but I agree for a monitor 1440p is enough for me. I actually keep one 1080p monitor around just for email purposes because I don't like having to squint at my text.

I personally would stick to 1440p and upgrade my sound system instead, but even if you're not an audiophile, that money could still go somewhere useful (like video card or dedicated beer fridge).
    I think the beer fridge is the way to go

Xtreme Member
    Cool, my 7970 OC has a tough time keeping Dark Souls 2 at 5k @ 60fps ...guess I will be needing that 290x with a water block to utilize this .
    Custom case laser cut from a 3/16" thick sheet of brushed Aluminum 8"x80" & cold formed into a box then anodized black with 1/2" Poly-carbonate side panels..[.fully modular, all aluminum mounting brackets, HD bays, and mobo tray are removable...down to the bare box
    --Asus Maximus V Gene--
    --Intel 3770k @4.2 GHz De-lided and I soldered an Arctic Twin Turbo to the Intel.
    --MSI R7970 3GB @1150, 1500 cooled with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme--
    --G.SKILL Ripjaws @2400 MHz --
    --SeaSonic X-1050 Gold--
    --128 GB Sandisk UltraPlus is was only $59 new! Seagate 1TB HD--
    --Samsung S23A750D 120Hz monitor--
    --Razer Tarantula-- keyboard, yes it is like 8 years old!
    --Corsair M60 mouse--
    --Klipsh Promedia 2.1-- I rock stereo speakers the way they were meant to be rocked
    -- 100% Fun ...

Does it ever shock anyone else when your hear someone use Darwin's "survival of the fittest" to justify genocide?

5K is just to small on a 27", let alone 4K.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme 3D Team

Just because a GPU model was named "Titan" after they named a Super Computer "Titan" doesn't mean they are the same thing...

Like how "Tesla" is the name of NVIDIA's GPGPU cards, and also started with the Tesla (G80-G92) microarchitecture, that doesn't mean it is still based on Tesla/G80.
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Like how "Tesla" is the name of NVIDIA's GPGPU cards
    Wait, I thought those cards came with a car
    AMD 1090T 6-core @ 3.5 GHz, PNY GTX 460, 16 GB RAM, 120 GB Mushkin SSD, 1TB samsung F3 - main desktop - part-time WCG crunching
    C2D e8400 @ 3.25 GHz Saphire 5830 @880 Mhz core/800 Mhz memory, 2 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD WCG dedicated cruncher
    Arima #2 quad socket MB w/ 4x opteron 8350HE 2.0 GHz quad-core, 16 GB RAM WCG dedicated cruncher

Xtreme Member
    I wish it didnt look like it was designed to sit on the desk of some 3 year old and look more grown up like their designs a few years ago.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoat Eater View Post
    I think the beer fridge is the way to go

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Enthusiast

Does she come with the beer fridge? If so, SOLD!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    Does she come with the beer fridge? If so, SOLD!
    Yes, she's the installation tech - but beer sold separately

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtremeish
    What the hell is wrong with the (marketing)people who decide which resolutions to start manufacture and sell?

4k is a bit*h on current technology, all the way from scaling issues to performance limitations. And they decide: "4k? How about 5k? We gonna sell shi**y TN to every useful idiot out there, at a premium!"

I don't have any first hand experience with 4k, but I adore the idea of leaving "FullHD" for something more crisp, but ffs guys, display manufacturers needs to get their priories straight. Now that we have a "new" and very nice resolution on our horizon we need DECENT PANELS, sort that out, THEN increase resolution. Not the other way around...
    Last edited by Kallenator; 09-09-2014 at 01:55 AM.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    What the hell is wrong with the (marketing)people who decide which resolutions to start manufacture and sell?

4k is a bit*h on current technology, all the way from scaling issues to performance limitations. And they decide: "4k? How about 5k? We gonna sell shi**y TN to every useful idiot out there, at a premium!"

I don't have any first hand experience with 4k, but I adore the idea of leaving "FullHD" for something more crisp, but ffs guys, display manufacturers needs to get their priories straight. Now that we have a "new" and very nice resolution on our horizon we need DECENT PANELS, sort that out, THEN increase resolution. Not the other way around...
    This is not TN panel. It is an ips that is orientated at devs in the first place-says AnT.

4K is a bit*h on an almost 4 years OLD tech that will be replaced on 18th of this months.
    Last edited by SinOfLiberty; 09-09-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Xtreme Guru

Actually I think 5k makes more sense than 4k. 4k seemed kinda arbitrary to me; sure it maintained the same aspect ratio but the pixel count seemed kinda arbitrary to me.

5k is literally quadruple of 1440p, so I do understand why they went that route.

.....}

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    5k is literally quadruple of 1440p, so I do understand why they went that route.
    Agreed. It will be a very nice screen.

I want some higher-contrast screens, though. Give me 4K A-MVA!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtremeish
    This is not TN panel. It is an ips that is orientated at devs in the first place-says AnT.

4K is a bit*h on an almost 4 years OLD tech that will be replaced on 18th of this months.
    Well that's decent at least, but even IPS does not really cut it anymore, I agree that these still look good, but I would quite enjoy some improvements to black level and refresh rate.
    Which is why the Eizo Foris was an excellent tribute, and I find it a shame that nothing has been iterated of that by others.

4k does not work well on current and doubtfully on next generation tech. Unless of course you run Sli/CF or drop the settings far down, bit pricey though? And surely I cannot be alone in enjoying stable 60fps<?
    (If we are talking some kind of upscaling however, then I would agree whole heartedly, it seems to work quite well.)

It will be interesting when next gen shows its face, and I hope they will surprise on this specific matter, but I am not holding my breath while I keep my fingers crossed.

Actually I think 5k makes more sense than 4k. 4k seemed kinda arbitrary to me; sure it maintained the same aspect ratio but the pixel count seemed kinda arbitrary to me.

It's a good point you are making, but 4k makes sense because of entertainment though, people will probably find it normal to watch and create their own content in 4k in the near future.
    Seems like a larger market to me(but I guess you could still call it a niche), and that usually doesn't hurt the price. But it does not equal quality, thats for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Agreed. It will be a very nice screen.

I want some higher-contrast screens, though. Give me 4K A-MVA!
    A-MVA, yes please =)
    Last edited by Kallenator; 09-09-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    Well that's decent at least, but even IPS does not really cut it anymore, I agree that these still look good, but I would quite enjoy some improvements to black level and refresh rate.
    Which is why the Eizo Foris was an excellent tribute, and I find it a shame that nothing has been iterated of that by others It will be interesting when next gen shows its face, and I hope they will surprise on this specific matter, but I am not holding my breath while I keep my fingers crossed.
    Downsampling is close to the hardware requirement to a native res monitor.

Next gen lacking power at 4K? Based off of what? Rumor sites? 2 Titan Blacks can run 4K @40FPS in a lot of games with MXAA disabled.

New cards will be here on 18th, we are all ready>

Xtremeish
    Downsampling is close to the hardware requirement to a native res monitor.

Next gen lacking power at 4K? Based off of what? Rumor sites? 2 Titan Blacks can run 4K @40FPS in a lot of games with MXAA disabled.

New cards will be here on 18th, we are all ready>
    Based on nothing but history and common sense, next generation usually brings in ~20% improvement over current, or? I don't assume to speak true true... merely my best guess.

Two Titan Blacks is an insane configuration, one is expensive enough. And according to you it struggles with keeping a stable 60fps in most games, I do assume that this is on "Very High Quality" so I guess you can improve the framerate quite a bit, to make it somewhat acceptable across the board.
    This is far from reasonable or even attainable for no more than a tiny part of the community, even on this Forum. Not that it matters on case of the argument.

So no, I don't agree that current gen cut's it, nor do I think next will improve enough for it to become reasonably attainable. Which was the basis of my initial itch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast