MMM
    X

    Subscribe to New Ads!

    Receive weekly ads in your inbox!



Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: Dell`s 5K Monitor Incoming!

  1. #51
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    I tend to believe that this is the same display of the Dell.
    Except it cant be because Apple says theirs is a custom SST design whereas Dell's is just dual 1440p stitched together using MST.

  2. #52
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,589
    i saw somewhere online about the samsung 8k monitors in PC Gamer Friendly size screens

  3. #53
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    川崎市
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by hecktic View Post
    i saw somewhere online about the samsung 8k monitors in PC Gamer Friendly size screens
    And you'll need 4x oc'd GTX 1280 to get more than 5 fps...

  4. #54
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    US, MI
    Posts
    1,678
    I'm running 4k right now, 144hz via sdr.
    And my god, it's nice, very nice..., but, win7 is so screwed when it comes to this res.
    You can kinda fix it by setting up the 200% dpi size thing, but some things don't scale right.
    For example, the selection mouse cursor, is like an inch big on my 27in screen, it's double the size of the text lmao.

    Is win8 any better?, but crap, win8 looks horrible anyways, that's not really a good trade off.
    I'm gonna have to do some registry dumping and stuff, maybe I can track down these settings individually.

    In batman, in the bench, I'm hitting 57fps on my 680 on 4k, all maxed except no aa.
    Definitely needs 2x the power of a 680.
    I need to get my 2nd card in, I need resistors, maybe next month.

    5k would quite an awkward res to use though.


    CPU: Intel Core i7-4930k [3332B054]
    CPU Heatsink: NZXT Kraken X60
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition (0507 BIOS)
    MEM: 4x 4gig G.Skill [F3-2400C9Q-16GTXD] (Dual Sidded Samsung of Some Sorts)
    PSU: Antec HCP-850 Platinum
    VGA: nVidia Grid VGX K2 (WIP with 2x 680 lightnings)
    Monitor: ASUS VG278HE & 3DVision2 Kit
    Drives: 2x WD Red 2TB Drives [WDBMMA0020HNC-NRSN] (RAID 0), Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 60GB SATA3 SSD, Pioneer BDR-2208 Blue Ray Burner
    Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
    OS's: Windows 2003 Enterprise x86 SP2-R2 VLM, Windows 7 Standard Embedded x86 SP1 EVL (128GB Patched), Windows 7 Standard Embedded x64 SP1 EVL
    Mouse: Using generic mouse for now...
    Arm:Samsung Galaxy S IV i9500 Octo-Core Quad Band 16gb Unlocked and 2x 64gig sd cards
    777

    Sig is slightly out of date, I'll update it later ^^


  5. #55
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    5k would quite an awkward res to use though.
    Lets be honest, its just for the wow, 4K is everywhere, they wanted something more ( and that work, marketing wise ) . But the hardware they use, the best gpu option they bring is a Tonga based mobile GPU ( it seems as it have not been released yet ), who is better of the 290M ( 7870 ),
    is absolutely not suitable for it.

    i dont speak for games, its an iMac but photoshop will take a dive in perf . So... yes, you will downscale to 1440p for games, for software who dont support it, for some professional one, but on the end, even at 1440p,, this hardware is completely down.
    Last edited by Lanek; 10-24-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

  6. #56
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Curragh.
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Lets be honest, its just for the wow, 4K is everywhere, they wanted something more ( and that work, marketing wise ) . But the hardware they use, the best gpu option they bring is a Tonga based mobile GPU ( it seems as it have not been released yet ), who is better of the 290M ( 7870 ),
    is absolutely not suitable for it.

    i dont speak for games, its an iMac but photoshop will take a dive in perf . So... yes, you will downscale to 1440p for games, for software who dont support it, for some professional one, but on the end, even at 1440p,, this hardware is completely down.
    Considering Apple and the applications on it support OpenCL, the new m295x is rather good. It's just behind the GTX 780 Ti in OpenCL, and significantly better than the GTX 780m they were using. It's a pity AMD are still behind the curve on Mobile GPUs though. Many would have preferred an NVIDIA GTX 980m, but it seems Apple has a supply contract with AMD now. I wonder if the new MacBooks will also be using AMD GPUs.

    As it stands the $2750 iMac with m295x is a better buy than the Base $3000 Mac Pro unless you Need the dual GPUs.

    Benchmarks of the new iMac, although this is with the 4.0Ghz 4790K as well as with the m295x.

    http://barefeats.com/imac5k.html

    http://barefeats.com/imac5k3.html

    One thing that's interesting is that the m295x is nearly twice as fast as the GTX 780m in Tomb Raider that uses OpenGL 4.0 in OS X, while only 9fps faster in Diablo 3 that uses OpenGL 3.2

    In Cinebench this iMac gets 105fps, which is very very good for a mobile GPU, especially compared to his Mac Pro with FirePro D500's, and even full desktop NVIDIA cards.

    http://youtu.be/oM2CdF4cc0o?t=4m27s

    For work I would get the upgraded 5K iMac over the Base Mac Pro with either D300 or D500 GPUs anyway, unless you specifically use Final Cut Pro X which'll use any and all OpenCL GPUs.

    Considering the 5K display is an SST and it being possible IGZO ( TFT Oxide ), with the system thrown in, it's extremely price competitive compared to the Dell 5K MST display.

    Personally I see 5K as awkward to use as 1440p, as it's quad 1440p. Just like 4K/UHD is quad 1080p.
    Last edited by N19h7m4r3; 10-25-2014 at 03:37 AM. Reason: spelling

  7. #57
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,960
    H? on the mobile space, thats not a big deal

    This said, im happy to see Apple make good use of OpenCL and OpenGL, with OpenGL next it will be only better... but lets be honest i use 2x 7970 on a 1440p monitor, and this is cleary allready limited at this resolution, in some situation, i see clearly i need to upgrage now . the Tonga based mobile gpu is somewhat 1x 7970 performance wise..

    Now, my system who is under H20 and well overclocked with a good 6cores cpu, i got nearly 10Tflops of SP and 2.5Tflops DP, who is not bad at all compared to the actual offers .... ( W9100 = 5.4Tflops SP / 2.7Tflops DP , Nvidia Is way under even on SP with "only" 5.2TTflops SP in the 980 )
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

  8. #58
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Curragh.
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    H? on the mobile space, thats not a big deal

    This said, im happy to see Apple make good use of OpenCL and OpenGL, with OpenGL next it will be only better... but lets be honest i use 2x 7970 on a 1440p monitor, and this is cleary allready limited at this resolution, in some situation, i see clearly i need to upgrage now . the Tonga based mobile gpu is somewhat 1x 7970 performance wise..

    Now, my system who is under H20 and well overclocked with a good 6cores cpu, i got nearly 10Tflops of SP and 2.5Tflops DP, who is not bad at all compared to the actual offers .... ( W9100 = 5.4Tflops SP / 2.7Tflops DP , Nvidia Is way under even on SP with "only" 5.2TTflops SP in the 980 )
    May I ask what situations you feel limited at? I have no issue with 3440x1440. Or are you referring to gaming?

    Since the iMac is designed entirely for content creation when it comes to photography, and art with some video work I don't see it being limited at all.

    I myself have a 6 core, and dual FirePro D700's which have 3.5 Tflops SP each, and I've not had an issue dealing with 4K video for work, or any photo work.

    So as long as an iMac user doesn't decide to start dealing with raw RED video files I can't see them being limited much, as it's hardly a Professional machine designed for heavy rendering, or computational work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •