Thread: ebay possibly hacked again

ebay possibly hacked again

In a breaking story, it appears that e-commerce giant Ebay has been subject to a massive hacking and that enormous reams of data has been stolen and/or deleted.

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014, an unconfirmed number of ebay members logged in to see their entire accounts deleted from the site. In addition, any auctions from those accounts have also vanished into thin air.

In response, Ebay has completely shut down its Customer Service operations, closing down public access to its phone banks and almost completely ignoring the situation.
    http://insidepulse.com/2014/09/03/eb...millions-lost/

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme 3D Team
    My account seems to be fully functional and intact. I don't know why users having issues logging in would immediately be tied to hacking. It wouldn't be the first time something like this has occurred on a major platform.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    I just logged in fine, I had to reset my password, but it said it was due to policy changes on may 21st.
    I haven't logged into it for at least around a year.

Xtreme Member
    I was shopping on Ebay today, and there were some listings in search results, that if you click on them would return you to "this item is no longer available here are some similar items"(or something to that end) page, as if that listing didn't exist, when it was an obviously active listing. So there is some truth to this article, whether Ebay was hacked or it's just some technical issues is still a question. However there is no question, that Ebay customer service sucks and I feel bad for the affected sellers.

Edit:

The article has been updated, Ebay is claming technical issues and that some user accounts were restored...
    Last edited by ~CS~; 09-03-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    My Heatware
    Originally Posted by some guy on internet
    That's your problem right there. Just forget about how things look on paper as that's irrelevant.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My account is fully functional also. All of the items in my watch list are linked to existing auctions also.

2 months ago, or so, there was an ebay announcement to change password, due to attempts of account hacking.

Xtreme Member
    Yesterday I was unable to send messages using eBay message box. :\

well works ok now, and i don't see any reported leaks so i think we're safe

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_w View Post
    My account is fully functional also. All of the items in my watch list are linked to existing auctions also.

2 months ago, or so, there was an ebay announcement to change password, due to attempts of account hacking.
    Yeah this is what I remembered when I saw the original OP's post. I changed my password too. Thankfully I haven't had any problems with eBay other than suppliers shipping via DHL mail/USPS.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    Thankfully I haven't had any problems with eBay other than suppliers shipping via DHL mail/USPS.
    Being in Canada, i find USPS the best option when ordering stateside. Unless you like getting reamed from shipping charges? I would'nt use anything BUT CanadaPost/USPS tbh. They even get my packages to the other side of the globe, without issue...
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    Being in Canada, i find USPS the best option when ordering stateside. Unless you like getting reamed from shipping charges? I would'nt use anything BUT CanadaPost/USPS tbh. They even get my packages to the other side of the globe, without issue...
    So the deal as I understand it is that "DHL mail" is actually only part DHL service. Then they hand off to the USPS, who delivers it the rest of the way.

So for the last laptop AC adapter I bought, it went from New Brunswick>Secaucus(stayed a few days)>Then Elkridge, MD(stayed for a day or so)>Then sorting facility at Philly>Then my neighborhood Post Office>Delivery truck>Me [Total time over a week and a half for what should have been a 60 mile journey]

Whereas if USPS was doing it all themselvers it would be: New Brunswick>Regional sort center>Philly sort center>My neighborhood PO>Delivery Truck>Me

The difference? At least half a week extra for free shipping vs $8.00 for the next shipping option(2 day I believe)

As far as the USPS, service varies by city and even post office within a bigger city. I once had a letter take a week to go from my landlord's rental agency on the West Side of a 40,000+person college town to my apartment on the East Side. Of course I also lived in Chicago back when mail carriers were burning mail and stuffing it into their station wagons because they couldn't keep up with it.......
    Last edited by yojimbo197; 09-05-2014 at 06:18 AM.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit