Thread: Modding EKWB R9 290 Waterblcok

Modding EKWB R9 290 Waterblcok

The waterblock does not fit the MSI R9 290 Gaming 4GB card due to new PCB revision. Hence, I guess I have to mod it.

Need to file down the area in red box to clear the caps.

I used thermal grease to mark the location of the caps where it interfere with the block cover. The area in red box also needs to be filed to clear the caps (I just use a box cutter).

After that, everything fits as it should and appears to work fine.

The VRM cooling does not work very well as I have to use thick thermal pads. I don't have any readings for it. Its hot to the touch but I have no problem putting my fingers on the back of the PCB for 10sec. It just feels hot but does not hurt. So I think VRM should be 60C or so. fired up Furmark and cores shows out at 49C after 2hrs.

The original MSI back plate will fit but longer screws are needed. The ones supplied by EK is too short. The ones by MSI will not fit due to different size.

Hopefully EK will decide to revise their waterblock to fit the new PCB revision so no modding is needed.

Btw, I just use a drill to drill holes into the cover to clear the caps. Need at least 8.5mm drill bits. I do not have any precision machining tools so hole position is not 100% accurate. But its still enough to clear the caps.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey - is this the rev2 or the rev1? The rev2 was modified to work with the MSI gaming I thought - has MSI changed it again?

This is EK's cooling config link that claims compatability for the rev2 on the 290 gaming: http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/s...?gpu_gpus=1285

VRM temps can be measured with gpu-z or hwinfo

Quote Originally Posted by stren View Post
    Hey - is this the rev2 or the rev1? The rev2 was modified to work with the MSI gaming I thought - has MSI changed it again?

This is EK's cooling config link that claims compatability for the rev2 on the 290 gaming: http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/s...?gpu_gpus=1285

VRM temps can be measured with gpu-z or hwinfo
    Unfortunately it has changed again.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/th...197912/page-14

Check out the pictures in the thread. The new PCB layout is the one with the gold colour chokes. The rev2 will only work on the old revision of the MSI card (does not seems to be available now).

Thanks for advising on GPUZ. May I know which sensor should I be looking at? Cause there is VRM1 and VRM2. VRM1 shows 56C when running furmark, idle 44C but VRM2 shows 66C (regardless of whether its idle or furmark, no idea why).

So, just to confirm you are experiencing this problem with rev 2 of our 290X block?

Hi yes.

Pls refer to my link for the pictures of the new PCB layer. The rev 2 block will not fit the card.