Thread: Why do the APU drivers interfere with LAN/WAN?

c[_]

Why do the APU drivers interfere with LAN/WAN?

I've just tested 4 systems (3x A10-5800K, 1x A10-6800K, 2x A10-7850K) with the 14.6 and 14.7 RC3 drivers and every single one is limited to about 3-7Mbps down with CCC installed.

Uninstalling CCC fixes the issue (speeds jump to 10-25Mbps), we even uninstalled CCC while downloading a file with a browser and could watch the download speed jump up as soon as CCC shut down as it was being uninstalled.

Both LAN and WAN are affected and I suspect drivers earlier than 14.6 are affected as well as we have been experiencing slowdowns previous to realizing the current drivers on these systems were at fault.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

It's the AMD Quick Stream crap they bundle with the drivers, disable that and your network bandwidth should go back to normal

c[_]
    I dont see quickstream being packaged with CCC?

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I've just tested 4 systems (3x A10-5800K, 1x A10-6800K, 2x A10-7850K) with the 14.6 and 14.7 RC3 drivers and every single one is limited to about 3-7Mbps down with CCC installed.

Uninstalling CCC fixes the issue (speeds jump to 10-25Mbps), we even uninstalled CCC while downloading a file with a browser and could watch the download speed jump up as soon as CCC shut down as it was being uninstalled.

Both LAN and WAN are affected and I suspect drivers earlier than 14.6 are affected as well as we have been experiencing slowdowns previous to realizing the current drivers on these systems were at fault.
    Which motherboard?
    For the older APUs, do older driver packages fix the problem?
    The issue is actually related to CCC itself? Like, you isolated it to only that variable?
    Are all these machines running Windows; 8.1?
    Smile

It might have just installed with the other drivers that came with my mobo then. But I had a very similar issue, I have 100Mb/ss internet and was only getting 2 - 3 MB/s throughput. I checked my startup items and found AMD Quickstream, so I uninstalled that and my bandwidth was back to normal

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Which motherboard?
    For the older APUs, do older driver packages fix the problem?
    The issue is actually related to CCC itself? Like, you isolated it to only that variable?
    Are all these machines running Windows; 8.1?
    All systems were using Win7 so far.
    4 or 5 different motherboard makes and or models. (MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, not sure what the laptop has in it, forgot to add the laptop to the original post).
    Yes. Uninstall CCC and problem disappears. Leaving all the rest of the AMD/APU software and drivers intact or removing any of it has no effect.

Xtreme 3D Team
    I think d_mouse is right.
    Go into Task Manager and kill AMDQuickStream.exe (if running) as well as AppexAcceleratorUI.exe (if running) and see if they fix the problem. You can then do it permanently with msconfig or delete the correct registry keys...

I believe it is bundled into AMD's Control Center for APU's now without an option in the install package. I have a Richland A10 laptop on Win 8.1 but it sees my full 34 Mbps download pretty consistently...
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you d_mouse and beepbeep2 for your your recommendations. Disabling AMDQuickStream.exe increased the local network bandwith on my kaveri setup from ~700MBit to ~1GBit.

Happy to help out, took me a while to figure out what was going on with my Kaveri setup