Thread: A8R32-MVP and 2gb PC3200 ECC modules for 8gb?

Xtreme Member

A8R32-MVP and 2gb PC3200 ECC modules for 8gb?

I've googled this so don't heckle me too much -.- Does anyone know if 2gb PC3200 ECC modules can be used to get 8gb ram working on a A8R32-MVP? That's it. CPU will be a 4000+ ( non X2 ).
    Currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with Misery 2.1.1 and being miserable the entire time.

Googled and found the answer in 30 seconds :p

Taken from the latest revision of the motherboard manual on the ASUS website:

"You may install 256 MB, 512 MB, and 1 GB unbuffered ECC/non-ECC DDR
    DIMMs into the DIMM sockets using the memory configurations in this
    section."

So the answer is no. You may only use up to 1GB modules of any type.

Xtreme Member
    Thats what they say officially but supposedly it supports ECC memory as the option is there in the bios. They just may not say so on the site because they want people to use what has been tested by them to work. It's like all of the site info saying that DDR2 motherboards only support 8gb ram because the 4gb sticks weren't out when they printed that and sometimes, without a bios update even the machine will support 16gb ram.

Also, you won't find support for LGA-771 CPU's on the page for any LGA-775 board but they work with a little modding and that's what I'm trying to find out, if anyone has actually tried and found a way.
    Currently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with Misery 2.1.1 and being miserable the entire time.

Xtreme 3D Team
    ASUS has been supporting ECC modules on their AMD boards for quite some time. They should work but I wouldn't give any guarantees.

The bigger problem seems to be the memory size limit. Why do you need 8GB tied to a 4000+? I don't know much you'd be wanting to run on that CPU that would still utilize 8GB unless you needed a RAM drive.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Well, it's only $20 shipped for a 2x 2gb kit on eBay so I might give it a try. Going to start out with just one kit though to see f it works. I guess even if it just works with 4gb it'd be interesting to fool around with.