Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS X99 Motherboard Series - Official Support Thread

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Should scale quite well if you're getting 4.5G on air there George. How much voltage did you need?
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Rampage IV Extreme tweaking guide

ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Maximus VI Series UEFI OC Guide

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Should scale quite well if you're getting 4.5G on air there George. How much voltage did you need?
    1.55v cache
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Mine will Prime/Handbrake here at 4.6G Uncore with 1.35V. I have not tried it cold..
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

XIP
    Testing uncore, all auto settings in bios exept rams @ 1.605V and vcsa @ 1.128V

Last edited by Dumo; 09-19-2014 at 07:37 PM.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Uh oh - my X99 Deluxe is refusing to boot. Was running XTU's inbuilt stress test at 4.5 core, 4.2 uncore, 1.3V CPU 1.3V cache and machine suddenly shut down. RAM not yet touched. Tried rebooting and machine flicks on for a microsecond before the an audible OCP 'click' from the PSU.

Tried pulling the PSU cable and letting caps discharge for about 15min, tried booting again and machine will power on and stay on but noone's home - none of the POST debug LEDs are lighting and the board is stuck on POST code '00'. Have tried clearing CMOS several times and removing everything but CPU, RAM and one GPU with no change.

Any ideas folks?
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Uh oh - my X99 Deluxe is refusing to boot. Was running XTU's inbuilt stress test at 4.5 core, 4.2 uncore, 1.3V CPU 1.3V cache and machine suddenly shut down. RAM not yet touched. Tried rebooting and machine flicks on for a microsecond before the an audible OCP 'click' from the PSU.

Tried pulling the PSU cable and letting caps discharge for about 15min, tried booting again and machine will power on and stay on but noone's home - none of the POST debug LEDs are lighting and the board is stuck on POST code '00'. Have tried clearing CMOS several times and removing everything but CPU, RAM and one GPU with no change.

Any ideas folks?
    "00" is usually cpu initialization error so possibly a dead cpu? Do you have another board to try the cpu in and vice versa for another cpu to try in the same board maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by l0ud_sil3nc3 View Post
    "00" is usually cpu initialization error so possibly a dead cpu? Do you have another board to try the cpu in and vice versa for another cpu to try in the same board maybe?
    Nay, mobo and CPU represent a rather significant investment so no other X99 board or 2011-3 CPU here.

I sure as hell hope it isn't CPU, but according to the mobo manual if there's a problem with CPU init then the CPU POST LED should be lit and I should be getting an error code of something from '06' onwards - '00' is apparently not used.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    LegitReviews - 'X99 motherboard goes up in smoke' - oh, dear - this is more or less exactly what's happened to me, with the exception being that I wasn't trying to push RAM at the time and can't smell magic smoke.

EDIT: Hmm. With the CPU removed mobo powers up and while still showing error code '00', the CPU POST LED lights up. With the CPU installed the board powers up and shows error code '00', but the CPU POST LED does not light up. The board therefore appears to be at least functional enough to know whether there's a CPU installed.

Raja, opinion? More likely to be dead CPU or motherboard? I can't see or smell any burnt components, but as I'm not a review site I don't want to go pulling off heatsinks and lose warranty.
    Last edited by SoulsCollective; 09-19-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Rig specs

Nay, mobo and CPU represent a rather significant investment so no other X99 board or 2011-3 CPU here.

I sure as hell hope it isn't CPU, but according to the mobo manual if there's a problem with CPU init then the CPU POST LED should be lit and I should be getting an error code of something from '06' onwards - '00' is apparently not used.
    Remove your cpu from socket and put it back safely...
    ROG Power PCs - Intel and AMD
    CPUs:i9-7900X, i9-9900K, i7-6950X, i7-5960X, i7-8086K, i7-8700K, 4x i7-7700K, i3-7350K, 2x i7-6700K, i5-6600K, R7-2700X, 4x R5 2600X, R5 2400G, R3 1200, R7-1800X, R7-1700X, 3x AMD FX-9590, 1x AMD FX-9370, 4x AMD FX-8350,1x AMD FX-8320,1x AMD FX-8300, 2x AMD FX-6300,2x AMD FX-4300, 3x AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD FX-8120 125 and 95W, AMD X2 555 BE, AMD x4 965 BE C2 and C3, AMD X4 970 BE, AMD x4 975 BE, AMD x4 980 BE, AMD X6 1090T BE, AMD X6 1100T BE, A10-7870K, Athlon 845, Athlon 860K,AMD A10-7850K, AMD A10-6800K, A8-6600K, 2x AMD A10-5800K, AMD A10-5600K, AMD A8-3850, AMD A8-3870K, 2x AMD A64 3000+, AMD 64+ X2 4600+ EE, Intel i7-980X, Intel i7-2600K, Intel i7-3770K,2x i7-4770K, Intel i7-3930KAMD Cinebench R10 challenge AMD Cinebench R15 thread Intel Cinebench R15 thread

Xtreme X.I.P.

Any ideas folks?
    Sounds like the PSU OCP tripped due to current demand. You were probably pulling over 30 amps from EPS12V Best case scenario is that its just your PSU. Worst is it took the board and CPU with it when the shutdown occured. Ordinarily that should not happen - if OCP trips the board should POST again and maybe issue an anti surge warning after the rail went out of spec (due to shutting down). The VRM can more than handle the full load XTU would have been generating at that point.

If the PSU is clicking off now I would not try to power up that rig any more. You'd be best advised to RMA all three items. If you are USA based send me a PM if you want to RMA directly with us. If you're getting 00 and the PSU is staying on then it could be dead CPU and not the other two. In these situations if one component in the chain fails, it can knock out all three.

Have one guy on ROG that killed his 5960X while running 1.47 Vcore and 2.2VCCIN on chilled water. Not sure what he was running yet. Board was fine.
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 09-20-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlanK3r View Post
    Remove your cpu from socket and put it back safely...
    No dice - with CPU pulled board powers up and hangs with the CPU debug LED lit and error code '00', with CPU installed board powers up and hangs with error code '00' but CPU debug LED unlit. From this I'm thinking the mobo is at least functional enough to work out there's no CPU installed, but with CPU installed it can't even progress to first stage of POST.
    Sounds like the PSU OCP tripped due to current demand. You were probably pulling over 30 amps from EPS12V Best case scenario is that its just your PSU. Worst is it took the board and CPU with it when the shutdown occured. Ordinarily that should not happen - if OCP trips the board should POST again and maybe issue an anti surge warning after the rail went out of spec (due to shutting down). The VRM can more than handle the full load XTU would have been generating at that point.
    This is puzzling me a bit too - XTU testing at 4.5GHz at 1.3v should, to my mind, not have caused OCP to trip unless something's off. If I was pushing vCore 1.4+ or running IBT or equivalent then I could sort of understand it, but these were basically the settings AI Tuner suggested (with the exception of the uncore boost, dialled in manuallly) running the testing software Intel provides.
    If the PSU is clicking off now I would not try to power up that rig any more...If you're getting 00 and the PSU is staying on then it could be dead CPU and not the other two. In these situations if one component in the chain fails, it can knock out all three.
    Board is powering on and staying on, OCP not tripping any more, but machine is dead as a dodo stuck on '00'. No change using another PSU, sadly.
    You'd be best advised to RMA all three items. If you are USA based send me a PM if you want to RMA directly with us.
    In Australia Have applied for CPU RMA from retailer, which sucks as they're on the east coast, I'm on the west, and postage across the country takes about a week.
    Have one guy on ROG that killed his 5960X while running 1.47 Vcore and 2.2VCCIN on chilled water. Not sure what he was running yet. Board was fine.
    Fingers crossed my Deluxe will be OK then. RMA'ing that will be a gigantic pain given how bulky the box is.

Thanks for the input folks. Ideally I'd have another board or CPU to test with to narrow things down, but with what I have on hand I can't troubleshoot any further.
    Rig specs

Xtreme X.I.P.
    No dice - with CPU pulled board powers up and hangs with the CPU debug LED lit and error code '00', with CPU installed board powers up and hangs with error code '00' but CPU debug LED unlit. From this I'm thinking the mobo is at least functional enough to work out there's no CPU installed, but with CPU installed it can't even progress to first stage of POST.
    This is puzzling me a bit too - XTU testing at 4.5GHz at 1.3v should, to my mind, not have caused OCP to trip unless something's off.
    Depends how much current xtu pulls. I've seen prime95 28.5 break 40 amps with 1.30vcore at 4.45ghz on my clamp meter. There are psus out there that will trip ocp at 30 amps.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Depends how much current xtu pulls. I've seen prime95 28.5 break 40 amps with 1.30vcore at 4.45ghz on my clamp meter. There are psus out there that will trip ocp at 30 amps.
    Why on earth didn't ASUS use two 8 pin EPS connectors? I just bought an R5E and even that only has an 8 pin + 4 pin. I wouldn't really consider 4.5ghz on 1.3v Vcore extreme overclocking yet its pushing that 8 pin WAY beyond its specs (IIRC the spec is 300 watts, so 6.25A for each positive wire, 40 is pushing 10 on each). Even with the extra 4 pin on the R5E, 40A is beyond the spec of 37.5A across both connectors. I know most PSU's nowadays use thicker 14AWG-16AWG wires so they're good go a bit beyond the ATX\EPS specs and that AVX pushes these CPU's to ridiculous levels of power consumption, but it seems to me that ASUS kind of dropped the ball here.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
    Why on earth didn't ASUS use two 8 pin EPS connectors? I just bought an R5E and even that only has an 8 pin + 4 pin. I wouldn't really consider 4.5ghz on 1.3v Vcore extreme overclocking yet its pushing that 8 pin WAY beyond its specs (IIRC the spec is 300 watts, so 6.25A for each positive wire, 40 is pushing 10 on each). Even with the extra 4 pin on the R5E, 40A is beyond the spec of 37.5A across both connectors. I know most PSU's nowadays use thicker 14AWG-16AWG wires so they're good go a bit beyond the ATX\EPS specs and that AVX pushes these CPU's to ridiculous levels of power consumption, but it seems to me that ASUS kind of dropped the ball here.
    Hello

The EPS connector is rated at 9A per pin. 54 amps total on the R5E should be plenty except for the users wanting to kill hardware by hammering the system with Prime type programs.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    PSU I'm using is an original AX1200, which is a 12V single-rail design - OCP shouldn't trip on the 12V draw of the CPU, unless one of the other rails was drawing way out of spec.
    Rig specs

Xtreme X.I.P.
    PSU I'm using is an original AX1200, which is a 12V single-rail design - OCP shouldn't trip on the 12V draw of the CPU, unless one of the other rails was drawing way out of spec.
    The EPS12V would be the only rail pulling high load in XTU.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    The EPS12V would be the only rail pulling high load in XTU.
    Right, which is why I was a bit concerned that OCP obviously did trip.

Have done some more testing and PSU is fine, mobo+CPU combination exhibit same behaviour when powered by another PSU. Have been in touch with retailer who have asked me to RMA both mobo and CPU at the same time, so should hear back from them later this week.

The point raised above re the EPS connectors is an interesting one - I was surprised that given the amount of times overclocking was mentioned on the mobo box only one EPS connector was present, given that all of the high-end boards I saw on the X79 chipset seemed to feature two as a matter of course and power consumption (particularly with native 8-core parts) hasn't dropped hugely since Ivy Bridge.
    Rig specs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry to hear about your problems Souls, hope you get it all sorted soon.

Heard a rumour that the Rampage V Extreme is getting a whole new board revision soon, any truth in this Raja? possibly you wont be able to comment because of NDA if true, do seem to be more than the usual problems from a brand new board that maybe BIOS updates cant fix properly? sure have been a lot of BIOS updates since board was released.

For sure they are in short supply in UK, put in my order to Scan over a week ago, they keep telling me tomorrow and now its status is saying waiting for an ETA, same for X-99 Deluxe.

I just wish I knew when I will get my board I've paid for.

Seriously thinking of changing to MSI or something now?

XIP
    Testing R5E new bios 3200 4x4GB profile with ram @ 1.25V

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by M31 View Post
    I just wish I knew when I will get my board I've paid for.

Seriously thinking of changing to MSI or something now?
    I have 2 retail R5E boards here and both have no issues at all. Non stop testings and benchings with cold/air/h20 for the past 2+ weeks. Just make sure you get good PSU that can hold the load of your new X99 platform.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Sorry to hear about your problems Souls, hope you get it all sorted soon.

Heard a rumour that the Rampage V Extreme is getting a whole new board revision soon, any truth in this Raja? possibly you wont be able to comment because of NDA if true, do seem to be more than the usual problems from a brand new board that maybe BIOS updates cant fix properly? sure have been a lot of BIOS updates since board was released.
    I have heard no such thing. Same old rumor mill stuff. Pay no attention to it.

We always roll out a lot of UEFI updates for our boards around launch. The platform is new, microcode updates were still being provided close to launch. Ask anyone that has an R5E and other boards how our UEFI work compares to other vendor boards at this point.

As you are based in Scotland these questions should be directed at someone from ASUS UK really (try their FB page or see if they have a rep on the UK forums somewhere). I only cover North American users for queries and I get more than I can handle at new product launches.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Raja@ASUS; 09-23-2014 at 04:02 AM.

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have heard no such thing. Same old rumor mill stuff. Pay no attention to it.

We always roll out a lot of UEFI updates for our boards around launch. The platform is new, microcode updates were still being provided close to launch. Ask anyone that has an R5E and other boards how our UEFI work compares to other vendor boards at this point.

As you are based in Scotland these questions should be directed at someone from ASUS UK really (try their FB page or see if they have a rep on the UK forums somewhere). I only cover North American users for queries and I get more than I can handle at new product launches.

Thanks!
    Got notification from Scan my ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME is shipping now, so pleased.

You only look at American queries, are you serious? Whats the difference between the American boards and UK ones? Or are you passing the buck

Really worried now

You support only North American Asus customers here, is that what you are saying???

You know damn well Asus UK are a waste of time.

Not happy with Asus at all anymore.
    Last edited by M31; 09-23-2014 at 05:29 AM.

Have ordered an Asus Rampage V Extreme and 5960 X and been reading my current Asus Xonar Essence STX wont work on the board? Only other card I'll be using is a single EVGA GTX 780 SC, do not want to use onboard sound, so are there any workaround for the Xonar Essence STX on this board or can anyone recommend a high end sound card that will work on the board?

Thanks.
    You aren't alone my friend. I own the X99 Deluxe and Xonar Essence STX, no sound at all. Not with official drivers nor the hacked UNi Xonar. People suggested changing Gen version on the port, however that didn't help. I read about this issue quite a few times now, the fact that even the Asus representative sort-of shrugs it off worries me. Starting to think I should have gone with MSi after all, because the onboard sound is dreadful.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Worst GSTFY I've ever heard, all our motherboards came from far east ... shame on Global ASUS, never realised this was a North American support thread only

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethos View Post
    You aren't alone my friend. I own the X99 Deluxe and Xonar Essence STX, no sound at all. Not with official drivers nor the hacked UNi Xonar. People suggested changing Gen version on the port, however that didn't help. I read about this issue quite a few times now, the fact that even the Asus representative sort-of shrugs it off worries me. Starting to think I should have gone with MSi after all, because the onboard sound is dreadful.
    Answer that Raja.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast