Thread: Is the Lenovo Ideapad a good choice?

Xtreme Cruncher

Is the Lenovo Ideapad a good choice?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a laptop. My mom is going to visit NYC in Sept for 10 days and I want a new laptop ( new for me, can be used). I've been considering the Lenovo Ideapad. What do you think about it?

Would not mind if it has touchscreen but most likely it won't work under win 7 ( I'd try to skip win 8 as I dislike it and is power hungry). Any hint if I happen to install another OS would void any warranty?

_I want it to have 13 inches.
    _i5 cpu ( would not mind a cold i7 if it does not eat the battery and stays within budget).Should be a 3rd or 4th gen series.
    _I'm also willing it to have some serious ram expansion feats ( up to 8 to 16 gigs). I?d not care if it has 2 or 4 gigs of ram out of the box as long as this lowers the price.
    _ Drive : as long as it?s 7200rpms I can live with it and will replace it with a kick ass SSD after I recover from this purchase.
    _Battery : despite I accept a used model, battery should hold charge for a decent amount of hours. Can change it with the SSD if this drastically lowers the end price initially.
    _Budget : 650 as tops.

Would appreciate it if you could link me to any offer you consider good one. I'd been diggin? myself of course but I've not been able to find one that satisfies my needs.

EDIT: *me thinks* I'm being more than realistic with the specs and budget, huh?
    Last edited by Duh; 08-27-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Cruncher
    I mean, I bought a brand new y560p a few years ago for $700 with an i7-2630qm and an HD6570M, so I don't think your budget is too unreasonable. Overall my ideapad has been "ok". The build quality was pretty bad, but the laptop performs pretty good. From what I understand, the new ideapads have better build quality.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    The build quality was pretty bad, but the laptop performs pretty good.
    This is pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    From what I understand, the new ideapads have better build quality.
    Depends on the model. Expensive ones are better...

I would look at other brands.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks both of you guys. I was looking for Lenovo given the supposed quality they have ( in general).

Zalbard: Why does your location say .de while ( if my memory serves me right) you were from .ru? moved?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Update:
    @shoota is making me consider a mac book pro and that's not going to happen.

at $650 you will not find a 13" one, i think the closest to what you want is the 14" flex 2, but it will put you $50-100 over budget
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-604-_-Product

windows 8 also gets better battery life over windows 7, and you can always get classic shell
    http://classicshell.net/
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    at $650 you will not find a 13" one, i think the closest to what you want is the 14" flex 2, but it will put you $50-100 over budget
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-604-_-Product

windows 8 also gets better battery life over windows 7, and you can always get classic shell
    http://classicshell.net/
    Thanks for the input mate

Xtreme Cruncher
    If there any reason why you're so stuck on Lenovo? HP makes a really decent laptop, and their build quality is honestly pretty good, even on their real low-end laptops.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to