Thread: How to uninstall vga drivers and leave uninstalled in OSX Snow Leopard?

How to uninstall vga drivers and leave uninstalled in OSX Snow Leopard?

I have a bad gpu on an x1600 old imac and I know it works on a continuous basis in windows with Standard VGA Driver installed.

Even know I see artifacts it works fine and the desktop is in-tact for menial music/ text tasks.

Anyway I installed snow leopard and after it finished I guess snow leopard auto-installs vga drivers??? anyway it freezes as soon as the wallpaper shows up.

Basically it boots to the Snow Leopard desktop just freezes before the top bar or any icons appear all I see is the background desktop wallpaper.

If anyone can help that would be great.

THANKS

-Intel Core i7 930 @ 4.6Ghz max (Lapped)
    -Cocage True Spirit w/ Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm (Lapped) *Indigo Extreme* 60-70C at 4.2 - 70-80C at 4.6
    -6GB OCZ DDR3-1600 @ DDR3-1600
    -ASUS RAMPAGE II GENE
    -SLI GeForce GTX 470 @ 851Mhz Core, 1702Mhz Shader, 1875Mhz Memory @ pulling a solid 68GPixel/s and 96GTexel/s = Outperforming a stock Titan (60Gpixel/s) - 640 bit total memory width - 300GB/s Memory on the GTX470's
    -2X WD1001FALS Black Edition,2X RAID0 SEAGATE 250GB, WD 2TB
    -Lian Li PC-V354 Case - **Custom Modding In Progress**
    -Kingwin 1000W Power Supply
    -Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer w/ Audigy 2 ZS Live! Drive w/ HDMI audio & SPDIF OPTICAL Out.
    -PIONEER VSX-520-K HOME THEATER 3D HIGH DEFINITION RECEIVER
    -Dayton Audio Dayton HTP-3 5.1 Home Theater Package 12" Powered Subwoofer
    -Samsung LN40B500 40" 1080p LCD HDTV

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris89 View Post
    I have a bad gpu on an x1600 old imac and I know it works on a continuous basis in windows with Standard VGA Driver installed.

Even know I see artifacts it works fine and the desktop is in-tact for menial music/ text tasks.

Anyway I installed snow leopard and after it finished I guess snow leopard auto-installs vga drivers??? anyway it freezes as soon as the wallpaper shows up.

Basically it boots to the Snow Leopard desktop just freezes before the top bar or any icons appear all I see is the background desktop wallpaper.

If anyone can help that would be great.

THANKS
    If i recall correctly, you can force boot into safe boot to use it in case of an emergency :P

Also, you can remove the video kexts from /System/Library/Extensions. Remember to back this thing up in multiple places...so you dont have to re-install the whole OS in case of a screwup(experience with that here).

Hope you get this thing working!
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 // Intel Core i7 920
    SuperTalent PC3-12800 3x2gb
    ATI 4870X2 2gb
    Samsung 1TBx6
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000w
    Coolermaster Cosmos
    Dell u3014