Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EK Supremacy EVO

Xtreme Enthusiast

EK Supremacy EVO

Seeing as EK posted a teaser pic on their facebook I'll post the pic they show - NDA lifts soon so I'll post review then:

Link to my review:

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2014/08/27/ek-supremacy-evo/

- same externals though with some new options
    - same exact copper base
    - same single jetplate, but now with a new machined insert

Relevant plots:

Conclusion

So the Supremacy EVO is an evolution of the existing design that provided us with similar or worse performance in all aspects, but yet looks the same and presumably costs more to make. Fine tuning jetplates and inserts can give better performance but does make things more complicated for the user and I hope EK won’t go along the route that Danger Den did with it’s fully customizable jetplate design. Sometimes leaving too much to the end customer can be “too much” particularly if the benefits are small or non existent. This design has become more complicated but has not yet shown a benefit.

Given all of this negativity in the performance results it can be hard to remember that this is still the best block tested on our 4770K that can be bought today. In a void if the Supremacy had never existed we would have applauded it’s performance the huge range of options for the style and finish. It therefore wins a gold award, though somewhat reluctantly simply because we expected more. Hopefully the 4930K/5960X testing will prove EK’s performance claims correct, but for now it’s hard to get excited about this perceived downgrade to an already good design!

Video:

Last edited by stren; 08-27-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Csq

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Church View Post
    Csq
    sure they will have variety of tops. I have one of some sort in a box unopened will post pics when NDA lifts
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Guru
    Still, i miss those times of EK HF-ish design with large logos or at most few diagonal stripes and less angular block shapes (including old SLI/CF connector).

its allready availlable throught their webshop

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Same poop, different smell..... Wouldn't use it to hold up a coffee table.
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

i use it to hold my 4930K and the 8320 and i am very happy .-)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
    Seems like NDA is lifted, here is a review:

http://www.hardwaremax.net/wasserkue...owall=&start=1
    Seems like on a 4930K temps improved then, unlike my sad 4770K. Going to try and pull my 4930K out of the workstation and test on that too.

I am Xtreme
    Few shots of new EK Supremacy EVG block with matching EK block for TitanZ and EK Red Harbinger block.

"Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

PI in the face
    You require more Vespene Gas

Looks amazing Darth
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    You require more Vespene Gas

Looks amazing Darth
    Thanks. Case has been collecting dust for maybe two years waiting for me to build it out. A friend gave me the TitanZ as a gift so now I have the perfect excuse to push forward (in late September or October when my modding schedule frees up a bit). The new EK Evo and TitanZ in gold will be perfect. Rigid lines of course.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    dayumngirl, would love, and I don't even play brotoss.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    So...correct me if I'm wrong, but the EVO a) offers worse temp than the old Supreme HF, and b) is more restrictive ( and c) looks complete arse in my opinion, but that's just, like, my opinion man).

Hmmm.

Can't find any other review that test it against the HF, but this is not an auspicious start.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    So...correct me if I'm wrong, but the EVO a) offers worse temp than the old Supreme HF, and b) is more restrictive ( and c) looks complete arse in my opinion, but that's just, like, my opinion man).

Hmmm.

Can't find any other review that test it against the HF, but this is not an auspicious start.
    I didn't test the Supreme HF as I got rid of my old one, but yes in my testing it was on average slightly worse than the Supremacy. The difference is small though. Moonman found the EVO to be slightly better than the old Supremacy (0.2 and 0.9C) but he didn't test the old HF either. The Supremacy was ~2C better than the HF from what I remember though. I do agree that the HF was the best looking block EK ever made.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I liked the more oval supreme myself also the old EK wave GPU blocks.

Anyhow, thanks for the video, I was having a hard time figuring out what changed. Sounds like the focus was really in regard to bow amount for different platforms.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
    Seems like NDA is lifted, here is a review:

http://www.hardwaremax.net/wasserkue...owall=&start=1
    Based on this review, the "Supremacy EVO" is better than the "Supremacy" with a 4930K?
    With a 5930K, it'll be the same, I suppose?
    And always better to have a 90 ? rotation

Or will it be the same performance and I can keep my "Supremacy"

Thanks so much
    Sorry for my english

LL A77F - Asus Rampage V Extreme - 5930K - Corsair Platinum 4x4Go 3000 C15 - Zotac 770 - SSD Samsung 850 Pro & 830
    Pump D5 with mod Bitspower - EK Supremacy - Koolance GTX680 - HW Labs SR1 280 & EK XTX 360

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    I liked the more oval supreme myself also the old EK wave GPU blocks.

Anyhow, thanks for the video, I was having a hard time figuring out what changed. Sounds like the focus was really in regard to bow amount for different platforms.
    Yeah this is what surprised me, because the platform already had a method to fine tune the bow and it already had focussed jetplates for each platform, so this was just a retargetting with that extra insert which as far as I can tell just distributes the flow though the jetplate differently.

Quote Originally Posted by tistou77 View Post
    Based on this review, the "Supremacy EVO" is better than the "Supremacy" with a 4930K?
    With a 5930K, it'll be the same, I suppose?
    And always better to have a 90 ? rotation

Or will it be the same performance and I can keep my "Supremacy"

Thanks so much
    Given my results and others results personally I wouldn't pay to upgrade because any difference is small. Moonman saw 0.2C improvement on the 4930K and a 5930K will probably be similar.

Also Apogee XL review/video is up: http://www.xtremerigs.net/2014/09/02...dition-review/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stren View Post
    Given my results and others results personally I wouldn't pay to upgrade because any difference is small. Moonman saw 0.2C improvement on the 4930K and a 5930K will probably be similar.
    Ok thank you for your reply.
    On The link above, it's 2 ?C of won with the 4930K and the Supremacy EVO....

Sorry for my english

LL A77F - Asus Rampage V Extreme - 5930K - Corsair Platinum 4x4Go 3000 C15 - Zotac 770 - SSD Samsung 850 Pro & 830
    Pump D5 with mod Bitspower - EK Supremacy - Koolance GTX680 - HW Labs SR1 280 & EK XTX 360

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah, different reviews got different results, as usual what you get is probably somewhere in the middle I'll be testing again on 4930k or 5820K soon. Unless anyone wants to buy me a 5960X.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'm sure if the in house testing gain was mostly mechanical contact results will vary greatly depending on IHS shape.

Xtreme Member
    Interesting review. I just purchased this new Evo block to replace my old Swiftech Apogee HD on my 4970K. I think that it should be a decent upgrade for me. Just eed to remember to swap out the Jetplates...

Xtreme Member
    Worse temps and worse restriction than the old Supremacy

Btw, is it compatible with Koolance QD4/QD3 quick disconnects and 19/13mm(3/4 OD) tubing, pls? I have the impression the I/O holes are too close to support the QD.
    Last edited by jogshy; 09-15-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hello

Is that tests have been done with "Haswell-E"?
    And with the new jetplate for LGA2011-3?

I hesitate to keep my Supremacy or take the EVO

Thanks
    Sorry for my english

Xtreme Member
    Any chance you could test the Supremacy Elite Full Nickel block?
    Also I have many questions as to whether there's room to prove the new design advantages with a different setup(rad, pump, tim etc)

I have the none EVO version and would consider upgrading if the newer design proved better than the old one in any way shape or form. But I can't seem to find a Supremacy Elite Full Nickel review anywhere atm.
    Last edited by Smalltimer; 11-08-2014 at 02:13 AM.
    Step aside, and you won't have to feel the awesome wrath of my mustache!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast