View Poll Results: Which sound processor would you choose?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Creative ZXR

2 40.00%
  • Turn down for what! (Receiver)

3 60.00%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: Receiver or Creative ZXR?

Xtreme Guru

Receiver or Creative ZXR?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my desktop's audio system (currently have a logitech x540 paired to an extrememusic), and was wondering whether you guys think a Creative ZXR will be sufficient - or if I should just upgrade to an legit audiophile system? I am willing to spend some money, and have had good success buying good receivers off ebay. The main question boils to a matter of practicality versus performance.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    If you don't use headphones for games or movies, get a receiver.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    I have a good set of headphones, that's what attracted me to the ZXR (with the headphone amp on the control module). However, don't most receivers also have good headphone outputs?

.....}

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I have a good set of headphones, that's what attracted me to the ZXR (with the headphone amp on the control module). However, don't most receivers also have good headphone outputs?
    The headphone out is terrible on a lot of them.

Xtreme Guru
    I see, so let's say I'm open to shelling out the money for a good 5.1 surround setup (not another computer one, but a legitimate audiophile grade one), do you think the receiver would be good enough for driving my headphones, or would I have consider the possibility of getting both a receiver and a sound card?

.....}

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    I see, so let's say I'm open to shelling out the money for a good 5.1 surround setup (not another computer one, but a legitimate audiophile grade one), do you think the receiver would be good enough for driving my headphones, or would I have consider the possibility of getting both a receiver and a sound card?
    One of the downsides of a receiver (external DAC) is that none of them (in the sane price range) support headphone [surround] virtualization like CMSS-3D or THX TruStudio (which is nice for movies and games).

Also, some of them are built with speakers in mind, some work best with headphones.
    Last edited by zalbard; 08-23-2014 at 01:02 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Guru
    How about the top grade receivers? I wasn't planning on buying a new one; my current Marrantz (home theatre) was $1800 new but I bought for $75 off ebay because it was ~10 years old.

I had my eye on the Pioneer Elite line. You could argue Harman Kardon has better audio quality, but they have serious quality control issues. The Pioneers seem to have lasting build quality, modern I/O and are THX, Dolby, etc certified.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    Good gravy, Logitech speakers?? Man i didn't know what i was missing until i upgraded from those crappy things, i think it'll sound great regardless of what you go with.
    I have a Pioneer AVR with Pioneer speakers now.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I was in a somewhat similar position recently - looking to upgrade from my X-Fi Forte and tossing up between an external DAC or a new internal soundcard, probably a Xonar Essence. Fortunately, my local audio place is fantastic at allowing you to try things so I was able to have a listen to both and even take parts home (after a suitable deposit) to listen on my own setup (HiFiMan HE-500 cans, Meier Corda Swing headphone amp). I ended up going with the Audiolab Q-DAC, which completely blew away the Xonar and also had the benefit of freeing up some PCIe slots.

Would absolutely recommend moving up to something external. Huge difference.

Edit: also, as pointed out above, the headphone out stage on a lot of external gear is, if not exactly rubbish, then definitely not the focus. This doesn't mean that it can't be used with headphones - anything with RCA out can be hooked up to a headphone amp - but is something worth considering.
    Last edited by SoulsCollective; 08-26-2014 at 04:31 AM.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Guru
    Ok so I think the consensus is that receivers do not place good emphasis on the headphones.

With that in mind, it may be smart to upgrade first to an extra setup, and then spend a bit more in the future for a dedicated headphone amp. The main reason I say this is because while I do have a nice set of headphones (Sennhaiser HD 380 pro), realistically I don't use it them nearly as much as my speakers, and plan on getting an audiophile 5.1 system.

.....}

Regards, Hans

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Ok so I think the consensus is that receivers do not place good emphasis on the headphones.
    I wouldn't say it's a consensus, as such, just, be aware that the headphone stage on a lot of receivers may not have had as much attention paid to it as the RCA/XLR outputs. That is not to say that all receivers will have bad headphone stage, just that that's something to check by reading reviews before you settle on any one thing.
    With that in mind, it may be smart to upgrade first to an extra setup, and then spend a bit more in the future for a dedicated headphone amp. The main reason I say this is because while I do have a nice set of headphones (Sennhaiser HD 380 pro), realistically I don't use it them nearly as much as my speakers, and plan on getting an audiophile 5.1 system.
    It's always worth spending more on your source. An amp later on, or better speakers, or whatever, can help increase sound quality, but if your source is the weakest link in the chain it's going to hold everything else back.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    It's always worth spending more on your source. An amp later on, or better speakers, or whatever, can help increase sound quality, but if your source is the weakest link in the chain it's going to hold everything else back.
    Yeah I agree, I typo'd "external" to be "extra" instead. I'm going to invest first with a receiver (just going to use the optical out to get a pure signal) and a high end set of speakers, and then will take care of my headphone amp.

Now it just becomes a question of whether to get speakers or a Surface Pro 3 first lol. I think the new OneNote is Microsoft's best kept secret (I have no idea why they don't brag about it; it's truly phenomenal) and my current laptop is dying. Everything I've heard about the Pro 3 is that they finally nailed it from a hardware perspective and the user interface seems to be pretty mature.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    Then again they do say that the internals of a PC are very noisy and not geared "Audiophilia" so having something external is better..........they say

^^+1 FWIW, even with our entry level Polk Home Theater I did seem to notice a difference when watching Blu-ray with DTS HD/Dolby HD even if i assumed that our cheap speakers wouldn't be able to pick up the upgrade in the source.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Guru
    I just snagged a Marantz SR7500 off ebay for $100 + shipping, and I think nailed both birds with one (receiver). The SR7500 has a headphone amp with Dolby IIx surround output, so I think that this actually will be perfectly fine for both driving quality speakers and cans.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Guru
    Finally got everything wired up. I think without a doubt I made the right choice. Even my headphones sound significantly better with the receiver - which is saying something considering I already had a good soundcard.

.....}

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    Nice! Enjoy your setup!
    Donate to XS forums

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Nice eBay can be a great source of quality kit if you know what you're looking for and aren't afraid to run a slight risk. Just, promise not to get sucked into snake oil
    Rig specs

Xtreme Guru
    So now the next challenge becomes figuring out the speaker setup.

I was originally planning on getting another set of DefTech studio monitors, but they have so much bass they vibrate my desk (not kidding, I'd found out by testing out my 450s). Either of you guys know anything about their promonitor line? I heard out of the 600s at a best buy and wasn't impressed, but the 1000s would fit my desk and be a big upgrade over my logitech setup.

Also do you guys know anything about getting 5.1 sound through optical properly? I specifically picked a receiver that had the latest dolby digital stuff, but I also know that optical is inherently bandwidth limited as compared to hdmi.

.....}

Regards, Hans