Thread: D975 XBX2 problem

Xtreme Enthusiast

D975 XBX2 problem

I know this isn't really the right place to post this but this section is the main one I view......

D975 XBX2 motherboard, QX6700 CPU

Problem: Red light at top of motherboard and red light at back (towards rear case fans) are on and computer will not boot. What is the most likely component that has failed? Motherboard? CPU? Something else??? All the fans come on but that's as far as it gets. Will no longer boot.
    Last edited by David_L6; 08-21-2014 at 05:51 PM.

"I eat motherboards"
    Have you tried a long cmos clear? IIRC my modded Baddy Axe was a bastard.
    杰森
    I can picture in my mind a world without hate, a world without violence.
    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you mean taking the battery out, yes I've tried that. Didn't work. Hard to read but as best I can tell the top light is VR LED and the back one is CPU LED.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK..... tried taking out the CPU and re-installed it with new thermal paste. Removed and reseated the memory. Checked all the wiring as best I could to make sure nothing was loose. Tried again. The LEDs no longer are on but no POST. When I turn on the computer everything sounds and appears to be normal - just no POST. The monitor never wakes up. Computer never boots. I'm stumped. I don't know what to try changing out.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Can you try another PSU or test the one you have?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't have a spare PSU. I guess I can buy one if that is a possibility (problem). What is supposed to be THE power supply to buy these days? It'll need to be a fairly large one. It'll have to run a QX6700, a power hungry video card and a couple of hard drives.

BTW, the LEDs came back on while I was trying to get computer to POST.
    Last edited by David_L6; 08-24-2014 at 08:09 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think I paid $10-15 for my PSU tester, somewhat cheaper than good PSUs.

But if you also suspect the PSU I have had good luck with Antec, Corsair and recently a EVGA 750. Am still running several Antec and Corsair. I ran 3x AMD 7870's on a EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B 80PLUS . It is in my main PC now with 2x 7870's.

I do not know how old that MB is but if it has been around awhile you might look closely at the CAPs on it and make sure none are swollen or burst or leaking. Don't know how knowledgeable you are and you may know this already but the CAPs are the little barrel looking components on the MB.

Barring anything looking wrong with the MB I would lean toward the PSU.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 08-24-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thank you. I'll take a look at PSU tester. Any advice on exactly which one to buy? My PSU is from PC Power & Cooling. I have 4 from that company and if this one is bad it will be the first one that has failed. Everything in the computer is 5+ years old. I'll look at it more closely after work tonight and see if I can see anything physically wrong with motherboard.

version 2.0
    Have you tried to boot with 1 stick of RAM ? Take one out and see what that gives.
    Could be videocard aswell.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    Thank you. I'll take a look at PSU tester. Any advice on exactly which one to buy? My PSU is from PC Power & Cooling. I have 4 from that company and if this one is bad it will be the first one that has failed. Everything in the computer is 5+ years old. I'll look at it more closely after work tonight and see if I can see anything physically wrong with motherboard.
    Everything I know about PC P&C PSUs is good. Have never heard anything bad about them. I have an old server one that is still going.

My PSU tester is just like this one.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Everything I know about PC P&C PSUs is good. Have never heard anything bad about them. I have an old server one that is still going.

My PSU tester is just like this one.
    There's always the old paperclip trick......
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Cruncher
    Something that keeps coming to mind: 3 times I have had problems with PCs powering on or even posting the BIOs and after trying everything a very close inspection found a single hair laying across 2 BIOs clear pins once, wedged between two dimms another. Once hair removed all booted fine. A good inspection and cleaning might do it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the tips. I will be trying everything suggested starting with taking it apart and cleaning (again). I found a NOS motherboard on eBay at a reasonable price and a PSU on Amazon at a good price and have purchased both of those items. As soon as I get time I'll get started on this thing again.
    If you notice that my daily WCG production has dropped off it is because this computer is down...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Up and running again. It was the motherboard. Second time I've had one of these motherboards fail. In between failures I really like them though.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Glad you figured it out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Glad you figured it out.
    Thank you very much for the help. I bought one of those PSU testers you posted link to. That thing is pretty darned neat! I like it.