Thread: Guidance

Guidance

Hi all,

Just joined and donated, really looking forward to the information on this board.

I have a choice to make here. I am an editor who uses my rig for audio and video. I was wondering if I should stick with a new school i7 build on Haswell architecture for about $650.

Or should I get one of these for about $1000

***dual 8c/16t computers, one is with Tyan S7002G2NR board for $1000, and the other is with Asus Z8NA-D6C for $800.
    The latter has 24GB ram (can be upped to 48GB max later) but bigger hard drive.***

They both have dual L5520 processors installed (each processor 4 core with hyperthreading; but can be upgraded to 1366 xeon hexcores from what I understand).**

The upgrade chips would be fairly cheap now. What do you think?

THANKS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Intel is getting ready to release a i7 8 core/16 threaded monster soon. Should be plenty of power for you. Estimated cost is around a grand. The newer processors are more energy efficient than socket 1366 and older.

I am Xtreme
    Can you saturate all those threads with the software you use? L5520s are 5 generations so modern CPUs definitely are significantly faster clock per clock and when it comes to power usage.