Thread: Blast from the past... Updating my computer for the first time in 3 years!

Engineering The Xtreme

Cool Blast from the past... Updating my computer for the first time in 3 years!

Hey guys,

Long time eh?

I'm running this setup nowadays in FLOW:

CPU: PII 955 BE @3.8
    Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1
    Gfx: HD6850
    PSU: HX850
    Cooling: Dual DDC's in series - EK 3x140mm rad - Thermochill 2x120 rad - EK Supreme HF (only CPU in loop because I bought a low power consumption gfx that had no FC WB support)
    Storage: Corsair P120 SSD (OLDDDD)

I just bought the hardware below to refresh my experience

CPU: FX-8350
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256gb

I've browsed around a bit on what kind of things I should do with my OC... I have a very overkill cooling system that can handle massive heat from the CPU but some here said that I need to cool my VRM's first and foremost. It would be a no brainer to expand my cooling loop if it's necessary.

Anyway, just looking for some general advice... what can I do with my cooling loop to add the VRMs? AMD is not well supported by the WC community if my memory serves correctly.

WC Notes:

- I have run my dual DDC's with EK X-top V2s for 5 years straight now. No failures.
    - I have run my loop with just distilled and a drop of biocide for 3 years straight without cleaning. I will take pics of the CPU block and loop when I clean this weekend. As far as I can tell its supa clean
    - The waterfall res from FLOW bit the dust like 3-4 years ago. One of the seams started leaking. I threw it off the second story onto pavement and much fun was had.
    - I now have a Thermochill 2 x 120 rad in the 5.25" bays now with a tube res mounted to it on the inside of the case.
    - I switched to 6850's for power savings since the 4890's were hogs, great decision.
    - Tubes are green now... sad day no more blue flow beauty.
    - The state of this forum is sad compared to the old days... but I guess that's what happens when WC is no longer needed for overclocking.

Thanks in advance,

- Ian

I am Xtreme
    Watercooling is actually way bigger than ever before. Just not on this forum.

You will be extremely hard pressed to find any block that will work for cooling your VRMs. You pretty much need to stick w/ Asus ROG Intel boards if you want motherboard cooling, even though modern Intel boards do not require any such cooling.

To avoid green tubing you'll want Primochill Advanced LRT. Pretty much every other tubing will cloud/colour from the plasticizer. Or if you are willing to spend the time and effort, acrylic. Acrylic tubing is pretty big these days and honestly half the builds I see posted on other forums use it. It can be a lot of work to do properly but it creates so many possibilities for clean setups.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Oh haha, I just meant I changed the color of the tubes to green. (they were blue)

I only use 3/8" -5/8" tubing stretched over half inch fittings.

What are the forums that are big for WC and mods now?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Oh haha, I just meant I changed the color of the tubes to green. (they were blue)

I only use 3/8" -5/8" tubing stretched over half inch fittings.

What are the forums that are big for WC and mods now?
    Overclock.net is probably the biggest English one. Just stick to the WC section as the rest of the site is plagued by 16 year old know-it-alls.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3996#ov This mobo? There is a heatsink on the VRMs already, but depending on the air flow and how hard you push that chip maybe it's a good idea to add a WB on those VRMs (your guess is as good as mine, I love overkill anyway ). If I were you I'd measure all the sides on that sink, as well as the hole-to-hole distance. You could be lucky. If not, you'd have to mod a different VRM block to make it fit. I have an idea... but I want to know what I'm actually looking at before I start googling
    --->TeamPURE<---

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Overclock.net is probably the biggest English one. Just stick to the WC section as the rest of the site is plagued by 16 year old know-it-alls.
    and that section isnt?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    and that section isnt?
    The AIO club threads maybe but generally it isn't. It is one of two sections I can stand reading.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    and that section isnt?
    Lol yeah OCN has the opposite problem of XS - being so popular means there are lot of noobs who repeat misinformation. There are some good people, but there's a lot of to wade through also.

XS has experienced people but no new people to keep it alive. Mainly I think because of the membership fee for new people.

Lowfat is spot on for VRM cooling and tubing though - Intel ROG boards get the most support for vrm blocks. EK is covering so many boards these days but still impossible to cover everything and AMD is just not popular anymore.

Engineering The Xtreme
    WTF? Membership fee? no wonder its dead now...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    OT, but maybe it would be a good idea for those of us who find this forum really useful to chip in a few $$$ to have that fee removed? (or pay the fee for maniacs who haven't registered) :p
    --->TeamPURE<---

Engineering The Xtreme

Clean EK Supreme HF Block

I'll take some pictures of the finished setup soon. It's not pretty like old flow was, but it's functional and that's what I care about

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hmm, I didn't know there was a fee either. With my oldest always hogging the PC and doing most of mybsurfing on my iphone, I just haven't been into the PC much lately. Still sporting a sample h100i in it actually since it was easier to move and dialed it down to stock/autonsettings since the 3930K at high clocks was actually making our little office an oven with heat from the PC.

Anyhow, kind of miss the more mature/advanced discussions here...didn't know there was a new member fee.

Rebuild is looking good!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Hmm, I didn't know there was a fee either. With my oldest always hogging the PC and doing most of mybsurfing on my iphone, I just haven't been into the PC much lately. Still sporting a sample h100i in it actually since it was easier to move and dialed it down to stock/autonsettings since the 3930K at high clocks was actually making our little office an oven with heat from the PC.

Anyhow, kind of miss the more mature/advanced discussions here...didn't know there was a new member fee.

Rebuild is looking good!
    It's only a buck a year I think for new members (last time I checked). I guess mods didn't have time to deal with the spambots so this was the easy way to get rid of them.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by stren View Post
    It's only a buck a year I think for new members (last time I checked). I guess mods didn't have time to deal with the spambots so this was the easy way to get rid of them.
    Easy way to keep down the spambots, but equally as many new people just move elsewhere due to the hassle I am certain. I personally wouldn't waste my time registering at a broad topic focus forum like this if I had to do some sort of payment. Waiting for those dang registration confirmation emails to log in at new forums is enough work
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    I've been frequenting this forum ever since I signed up. This was before registration fees. I also appreciate the fact that the folks here are more mature and hence most of the advice is very helpful. Having trust in the other forum members here is quite nice.