Thread: Just Bought an FX-8350 to plug into my Giga 990FX UD3

Engineering The Xtreme

Just Bought an FX-8350 to plug into my Giga 990FX UD3

Hey guys, my first time posting in the forum in like 4 years... Some may recognize my tag as I used to spam XS a lot.

I'm running this setup nowadays:

CPU: PII 955 BE @3.8
    Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.1
    Gfx: HD6850
    PSU: HX850
    Cooling: Dual DDC's in series - EK 3x140mm rad - Thermochill 2x120 rad - EK Supreme HF (only CPU in loop because I bought a low power consumption gfx that had no WB support)
    Storage: Corsair P120 SSD (OLDDDD)

I just bought the hardware below to refresh my experience

CPU: FX-8350
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256gb

I've browsed around a bit on what kind of things I should do with my OC... I have a very overkill cooling system that can handle massive heat from the CPU but some here said that I need to cool my VRM's first and foremost. It would be a no brainer to expand my cooling loop if it's necessary.

Anyway, just looking for some general advice... is my mobo going to handle this CPU well? anything I should be really careful with on voltages with this chip?

Thanks in advance,

- Ian

That FX-8350 should scream pretty well in that board. Looks like a really nice setup actually.

It'll clock pretty well, 5ghz'ish no doubt. They can start producing some serious heat after 1.55v

Over clock it like you would any AMD in the past. Most average IMCs will do 1000-1100mhz respectively with little issues. Had some Mushkin RedLines that where fine at 9-10-9-27-36 2T 1.55v, generally ran a 250 reference clock for 1000Mhz memory divider and NB/HT link at 2500mhz stock volts was fine or up the multi one for 2750mhz NB/HT clocks (must add voltage) Cpu/NB voltage is fine up to 1.45v, Chipset I never go over 1.2v. HT up to 1.3v for 3Ghz un-linked clocks. Cpu OC, depending on temps really. Lower temps, lower volts. All general figures, these may vary to your system.

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256gb
    Had a couple of 830's in raid 0. Outstanding performance.
    M4A785-M Seats A64 6400+ Lid_less PGA 940 pin
    SilverStone TJ07 Houses above and Antec 850w CP
    GTX-480 in the PCI-E 16x slot Usually stock clocks
    Patriot Torqx 64 Gigger benching drive w/640 WDGs
    Liquid cooling Cpu custom thermal take mod from BW
    Thermal Interface Material Antec Formula 6 Nano-D
    Acrylic Clear 1/2" OD Tubing purchased at ACE HW
    Dual Rads 120.2 + 120.2 with 8 rad fans in push pull
    Maximum A64 Overclock Cpu-z is 4014.37 Mhz on LN2

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
    That FX-8350 should scream pretty well in that board. Looks like a really nice setup actually.

It'll clock pretty well, 5ghz'ish no doubt. They can start producing some serious heat after 1.55v

Over clock it like you would any AMD in the past. Most average IMCs will do 1000-1100mhz respectively with little issues. Had some Mushkin RedLines that where fine at 9-10-9-27-36 2T 1.55v, generally ran a 250 reference clock for 1000Mhz memory divider and NB/HT link at 2500mhz stock volts was fine or up the multi one for 2750mhz NB/HT clocks (must add voltage) Cpu/NB voltage is fine up to 1.45v, Chipset I never go over 1.2v. HT up to 1.3v for 3Ghz un-linked clocks. Cpu OC, depending on temps really. Lower temps, lower volts. All general figures, these may vary to your system.

Had a couple of 830's in raid 0. Outstanding performance.
    Thanks for the advice, glad to see there are still people reading the board.

The volt info is extra useful, definitely didn't know some of that stuff. I'll keep this thread updated when I do the build and OC this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post

The volt info is extra useful, definitely didn't know some of that stuff. I'll keep this thread updated when I do the build and OC this weekend.
    Mine is running on an Asus sabetooth 2.0 @ 5014Mhz. 238.8x21 1.488 volts. there are some other settings settings like reaction time and other stuff. i'm not at that machine right now but I'll get a couple of screen captures of my BIOS for you tomorrow.
    FX8350 @ 5Ghz (239x21) 1.49v
    Sabertooth 990FX rev.2
    2 XFX R9 290 DD @ 1100/1350
    8Gb Corsair DDR1600 9-9-9-24-41
    Swiftech Apogee Drive II
    Alphacool NexXxos UT60 full copper radiator
    Swiftech Micro res v2

Oh I've been "reading" here for years. Probably should have joined a long time ago, you guys here are great and vastly knowledged. But hopefully my little input from time to time may help some one!

Not sure what I have going on this weekend, but will keep an eye out for some of your overclocking adventure. I'm sure you'll have some numbers plugged in pretty quickly.

You get to learn why I like to de-lid these chips, that is for sure!

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
    Oh I've been "reading" here for years. Probably should have joined a long time ago, you guys here are great and vastly knowledged. But hopefully my little input from time to time may help some one!

Not sure what I have going on this weekend, but will keep an eye out for some of your overclocking adventure. I'm sure you'll have some numbers plugged in pretty quickly.

You get to learn why I like to de-lid these chips, that is for sure!
    Do these chips have TIM or solder between the lid and the core? wheres the most up to date de-lidding info? I am savvy enough to do it and have the tools, as long as I'm not going to risk ripping the silicon in half like the old chips where you couldn't be sure if it was soldered or TIMed.

I'm addicted to low temps haha, if 5 fans worth of radiator for just the CPU wasn't a good enough sign.

Do these chips have TIM or solder between the lid and the core? wheres the most up to date de-lidding info? I am savvy enough to do it and have the tools, as long as I'm not going to risk ripping the silicon in half like the old chips where you couldn't be sure if it was soldered or TIMed.

I'm addicted to low temps haha, if 5 fans worth of radiator for just the CPU wasn't a good enough sign.
    They are soldered. someone here delidded an FX CPU and found the difference negligible.
    FX8350 @ 5Ghz (239x21) 1.49v
    Sabertooth 990FX rev.2
    2 XFX R9 290 DD @ 1100/1350
    8Gb Corsair DDR1600 9-9-9-24-41
    Swiftech Apogee Drive II
    Alphacool NexXxos UT60 full copper radiator
    Swiftech Micro res v2

Here's a tutorial for you. Hopefully it's helpful. http://classicplatforms.com/forum/vi...p?f=230&t=8321

Could do it for you as well. Done quite a few, probably do it blindfolded now lol.

They are soldered. someone here delidded an FX CPU and found the difference negligible.
    I've seen as much as 20c drop in temps and on average 100mhz more OC. If it's only 4.9ghz stable, 5ghz isn't far from reach. A de-lid just might do it

Engineering The Xtreme
    The IC pop tutorial is appreciated, but I definitely wont be going that route unless I see some major core temp discrepancies. I'm a believer that solder is an adequate transfer medium, unlike TIM which other processors have.

A good Lap may be in order though.

The IC pop tutorial is appreciated, but I definitely wont be going that route unless I see some major core temp discrepancies. I'm a believer that solder is an adequate transfer medium, unlike TIM which other processors have.

A good Lap may be in order though.
    Adequate and good are two different words. The lead in the solder makes it a horrible conductor technically. I use a nice diamond dust paste without the IHS plate. That's right block to core. It would be senseless to put the IHS plate back in when that slows the cooling process as well. We are looking to dissipate heat into the water as quickly as possible.

A lap job will yield minimal change in temps. Hardly worth the time IMO.

Just rock it the way it is. 4.8ghz is a good number to shoot for with reasonable temps.