Thread: Cryorig R1 Ultimate

Xtreme Reviewer

Cryorig R1 Ultimate

Introduction

When it comes to cooling a CPU there are a variety of different ways you can go and each cater to how you plan to use your computer.For those looking to get the best thermal performance a self contained watercooler or large tower heatsink might be the best option, especially when overclocking.OEM replacement coolers are extremely popular in the DIY market and often sacrifice cooling performance for cost and quality of components. While these styles can often be found as hybrids of each other you can never replicate a third popular style, the silent cooler.Silent coolers are more than high performance heatsinks with slow moving fans but specifically engineered to get the best thermal performance when overall airflow may be at a premium.Today we are going to look at an exciting cooler from CRYORIG the R1 Ultimate.Officially founded in 2013, CRYORIG is a fresh new comer to the PC peripherals and Cooling market but with a core team of seasoned veterans.The CRYORIG R1 Ultimate is the accumulation of years of research and design.Integrating multiple manufacturing and design patents, the CRYORIG R1 Ultimate is jam packed with multiple one of a kind features.The long list of features include our patented DirectCompress full contact soldering process, Jet Fin Acceleration System, Heatpipe Convex-Align and Displacement Optimization Systems.Featuring two XF140 PWM fans, and with the upgradability to go with three fans.

The chart provided from CRYORIG on the R1 Ultimate is long,thorough, and should answer most of the fitment questions that would arise with a cooler such as this.Things start off with the socket compatibility for Intel as well as AMD, and it covers all of the current socket types.

Packaging,Contents & Fan

The box is pretty compact and overall the box is nicely designed with plenty of images of the cooler.

The top displaying the CRYORIG logo,with the words "research idea gear" underneath of it.

The left side features the R1 logo in metallic letters.

The right side details a few of the features.

The back details the heatsink's and fan's specifications and comes with a list of supported sockets.

The flap informs us that registering the product extends the warranty to 3 years of protection.

In the box you'll find all the fixtures and fittings you need to get it installed. A pair of fan clips,alcohol pad,Phillips head screwdriver,thermal paste,backplate, screws, bolts, spacers and the AMD / Intel mounting brackets.

The CRYORIG XF140 is a high performance 140 mm diameter PWM heatsink and system fan.The XF140 utilizes CRYORIG's own HPLN (High Precision Low Noise) bearing to bring optimal noise to performance ratio.

The XF140 is 25.4 mm thick.It feature a PWM range of 700-1300 Rpm.

The Acoustic Vibration Absorbers are removable and swappable.

A Closer Look

Cryorig R1 Ultimate offers a radiator structure made of nickel plated C1100 pure copper contact plate and nickel coated copper heat pipes without direct contact with the processor, and of course aluminum fins grouped together forming the two-tower setup as the cooling surface.

The cooler is pretty massive.The overall cooler dimensions are 142.4(L) mm x 140(W) mm x 168.3(H) mm and weight of 1282 g including the fans and weight of 936 g without the fans.

On the front tower, the heat pipes are very seriously bend so they move the front tower a bit closer to the center of the heat sink and avoid any possible RAM blockage, while the pipes passing through the back tower are perfectly arranged and offer normal bending, which makes the overall heat sink structure asymmetrical in relation to the contact plate.

On the top side of the cooler the seven heat pipes are hidden beneath the top fin and the plastic brackets holding the fans.

The heat pipes are arranged in a zig-zag way and according to the Heatsink Displacement Optimization technology made as displacing the heat pipe alignment on the heat sink fins, which allows for better and more evenly spread heat conduction on the fins compared to traditional linear alignment.

The individual tower stack is separated into two sections, the loose air intake and the high density exhaust section.By the laws of fluid dynamics, the increase in fin count in the exhaust section squeezes airflow and increases exhaust air speed.The increase of airflow speed in R1's Jet Fin Acceleration System allows heated air leave the tower faster.

The seven 6 mm heatpipes are evenly spaced out throughout both towers, with the aluminum fins soldered to said heatpipes.

The R1's Heatpipe Convex-Align System allows for more heatpipes in a given area, optimized heatpipe placement in the copper base, and improved alignment with your CPU. With the Heatpipe Convex-Align System, each heatpipe functions to their maximum TDP capacity.

The Patented DirectCompress Soldering technology, made to increase the actual contact surface between the heat pipe and the heat sink fins.The DirectCompress Soldering technology is done by directly soldering the two sections to the heat pipes and provides up to 10% more contact surface compared to traditional soldering, and the more contact surface grants faster heat dispersion.

The base, while smooth, lacks the mirror shine seen on other competing products.

Installation Process

Featuring CRYORIG's patented MultiSeg quick mount system and AMD quick mount kit, installations are fast easy and ready to go within minutes.

Adjust the four bolts on the MultiSeg backplate,mark A for LGA1366 and mark B for LGA115x platforms.

Pass the four bolts of the MultiSeg Backplate through the mounting holes on your mainboard.

Screw Pillars onto the four bolts on the MultiSeg Backplate.

Place the Intel Mounting Bars onto the Screw Pillars,then cap the Screw Pillars with the Thumb Screws Caps.

Make sure that the numbered side of the Intel Mounting Bar is facing up and the bars are protruding towards the CPU.Adjust the Mounting Bars for the desired heatsink orientation.

Place the R1 Ultimate on the CPU and the screwdriver through the cutout holes.When screwing the Spring Screws please alternate between both sides evenly.

And there we have it ... that's just huge isn't it?

Installed - Memory Clearance

You will need normal height RAM or low profile RAM.

If you have a PC with four DIMM modules you might have bad luck.Look to the left at the DIMM slots.The cooler will pass the DIMM location.Your only alternative there is using low profile DIMMs or another cooler.

Test System & Methology

Test System:

Processor: Intel Core i7 3570k-4.5GHz (1.35v)
    Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
    Memory: 16GB Mushkin
    Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 6970
    Power Supply: Antec HCG 750W
    Boot Drive: Ocz Vector
    Storage Drive: 3TB Seagate Barracuda
    Boot Drive: Ocz Vector
    Chassis:dimastech Bench Table Easy V2.5

Software:

CPUID HW Monitor 1.23
    CPUID CPU-Z 1.65
    Prime95 v27.1

I am testing the performance as follows:

Ambient temperatures are kept at 23C throughout my tests.
    The CPU Fan is set to 100% to eliminate inconsistencies as a result of PWM control.
    Idle temperatures are obtained after booting the PC and idling on the desktop for 30 minutes.
    Load temperatures are obtained after running Prime95′s Small FTTs test for 15 minutes.
    To measure noise levels i disable the two front in-take fans, rear exhaust and GPU fan.

On the following pages you'll have the opportunity to read what Cryorig R1 Ultimate is capable of.

Results -Temperature

As you can see we have the best results of the CPU Air coolers that i have tested this year!

We can see from the above results that the Cryorig R1 Ultimate offers excellent performance when overclocked, cooling my 3570k to more than 0.4 Delta cooler than the ex-champion Noctua's NH-D15.

Results - Noise Level

Even with two fans installed the R1 Ultimate remains quiet silent.Remember, these are PWM controlled fans.

Conclusion

If you have not heard of Cryorig by now you really should.In my opinion they have the best air coolers on the market, period! Not only in terms of performance, but when it comes to ease of installation, quality and extras they provide.If anyone is in the market for a new air cooler they first thing I tell them is get a Cryorig you won’t be disappointed.As I said in this review this is a massive cooler! It has two large aluminum heatsink stacks paired with seven nickel coated copper heatpipes and dual Cryorig XF 140 mm fans.This combination gives the best performance that i have seen from an air cooler, more than likely even better than some all-in-one watercooling systems. The cooling performance offered by the Cryorig R1 Ultimate was nothing short of incredible in my overclocked tests.It is the best air cooler i have ever tested and is an therefore an excellent choice for those who want to build a high-end air-cooled system for overclocking.Even more impressive than the cooling performance is the tiny amount of noise generated by the fans during operation.The fans with the R1 Ultimate also come with low-noise adapters.Perhaps some negative attributes of the R1 Ultimate are the size and weight of the cooler itself.It is sure to put quite a strain on the motherboard, and the sheer size of the cooler may cause compatibility issues in some cases.The only real issue with this cooler is that you might run into clearance issue when it comes to your memory.I had the second fan sitting right near the top of my memory, which uses normal-sized heatspreaders.Keep in mind you can actually use the R1 Ultimate with only the center fan installed and you have the option to install the second fan either on the back or front of the cooler.You can also add a third cooling fan for even more performance.

You would think that with such a large cooler like this installation would be a complete pain in the ass, but it really is not.Cryorig uses their patented MultiSeg mounting system and it only took a few minutes to get this cooler installed. More than likely you can install this cooler with your motherboard inside of your case.I was actually concerned that the installation on this cooler would take me forever, but when I saw how easy it was I was relieved.Right now the R1 Ultimate can be had for 58 Euro's, making it one bargain deal for the best air cooler.Keep in mind the fans with the CRYORIG R1 Ultimate also come with low-noise adapters.Besides the trademarks over trademarks of features, the R1 Ultimate is offering up to six years warranty upon product registration. Each CRYORIG product (besides the CP9 Cryo-Paste) will come with a unique VIP Product Registration Card. By registering your product you not only extend your product warranty to the max of six years, you also instantly become a CRYORIG.com VIP member. VIP members are instantly eligible for our worldwide VIP prize draws, and get a chance to win limited edition products and more!

Last edited by testman78; 10-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.