Thread: GM200 confirmed for 2014 launch

L-l-look at you, hacker.

GM200 confirmed for 2014 launch

via VideoCardz:
    Paper titled ?Suitability of NVIDIA GPUs for SKA1-Low? has revealed some NVIDIA?s plans for the upcoming Maxwell and Pascal architecture.

This document would probably mean nothing, if one of the authors wasn?t working for NVIDIA itself. Mike Clark, who is Compute DevTech Engineer at NVIDIA, has contributed to this research, so it would be rather shocking if the data he provided would be bogus.
    The most interesting part is where GM200 pops up. According to this document, the Big Maxwell would arrive yet in this year. This GPU would be twice as power efficient as GK110. Of course this doesn?t mean it?s twice as fast in games.
    It means that with the same power consumption, it will deliver 208% of GK110′s synthetic performance. This is probably where we reach 28nm node limits. GM200 silicons are still in development stage. It will take only few months for GM204 to launch since we first saw it at Zauba. GM200 appeared just 2 months later. Late 2014 launch seems plausible.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    We was discussing the paper in question some days ago..

You can download the paper directly from Cornell university site and read it for do your own opinion : ( i put the link directly but it is in the videocardz article too. ) http://arxiv.org/abs/1407.4698
    Last edited by Lanek; 08-13-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

I am Xtreme
    The paper proves nothing... It's just what a single researcher thinks.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't see Nvidia releasing the GM204 and GM200 within 3 months of each other as consumer parts, if the dates are true we're simply looking at a new Tesla before the end of the year.

Xtreme Addict
    Can someone please, for the love of god, explain to me why we're talking about GM2XX when we only have seen one GM1XX chip? I don't think any of this is right. It has to be GM1XX in 2014 and GM2XX in 2015 and GP1XX in late 2015/Early 2016....
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Meh... Videocardz, not sure if they are very reliable with their sources, but if that is true than that's good news.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    The paper proves nothing... It's just what a single researcher thinks.
    Effectively, hence why i have suggest peoples to read it before jump on conclusion. Everything look more speculative on the GPU part.. The point was more to make a mathematic method for calculate the ressource of the Low-SKA1 station ( astronomy station driving 100+ Antenna ).

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    The fact that an nVidia employee /wrote/ the thing suggests that they know what they're talking about. Now, given that it's talking about compute performance, this in no way means that we'll see an 880 Ti launching this year, but I would not be surprised to see GM210 Quadro cards come out.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    The fact that an nVidia employee /wrote/ the thing suggests that they know what they're talking about. Now, given that it's talking about compute performance, this in no way means that we'll see an 880 Ti launching this year, but I would not be surprised to see GM210 Quadro cards come out.
    You dont really know what he's know, and what he was knowing when they have start to write this paper. It have been first published in July, but they was maybe work on it allready since 4-5 months ( recover the actual data, create a method of calculation, make valid them etc etc ).
    Then we dont really know what is the participation of him on the research.

Ofc, looking at the first GK110 Tesla, we remember first chips have been send in summer 2012 to some specific supercomputer project who was in phase of building the system. Then nearly 6month after this, we was seeing the official release of this Tesla, followed by Titan.

But all of this can be based on previous internal roadmap.... then the system is really specific to this appliccation system, driving Antenna monitoring station is not really comparable with other HPC syntethic benchmark.

Xtreme Member
    Another non/news thread about Maxwell/Nvidia rumors? DUDE, this is getting realllllly old. Can you not keep these kind of posts in the rumor/speculation threads that already exist?

Why is there such a compellling need to start a new topic everytime you read something about Maxwell? do you need attention? This is getting so old and frustrating.

This is not news! These sources you use are not credible! This does not belong here!
    Last edited by Tenknics; 08-14-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Ofc, looking at the first GK110 Tesla, we remember first chips have been send in summer 2012 to some specific supercomputer project who was in phase of building the system. Then nearly 6month after this, we was seeing the official release of this Tesla, followed by Titan.
    They shipped their first batch of GK110 to Oak Ridge in September '12.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    They shipped their first batch of GK110 to Oak Ridge in September '12.
    YOu right, i was not completely remember the date.

Anyway, nobody ask how a guy from a known forum of hardware ( in Deutshland it seems ) have suddenly got the idea to visit the Cornell University site and find an obscure publication about future ressources calculation of an obscure astronomy station system ( the SKA1-LOW ) and suddenly find information about Maxwell inside it ?
    Last edited by Lanek; 08-15-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Doubtful unless its a December 31, 2014 launch, lol...

I can't remember Nvidia ever replacing the fastest single card within 3 months of its launch with a new fastest card though.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

I can't remember Nvidia ever replacing the fastest single card within 3 months of its launch with a new fastest card though.
    I dont think too, but the other way around, Nvidia could launch it as Tesla part...

A consumer part could come way later in end of Q1 2015.. Even marketing wise, this could benefit them on the consumer market. Whatever is the performance of the GTX880, they have something who will " come later ".. bigger, faster etc ...
    Last edited by Lanek; 08-17-2014 at 10:03 AM.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    WCCFTech:
    Here is the shipping entry from Zauba.com that confirms that the GM200 aka the Titan II GPU are now exiting the internal testing state...Before the first ‘CS’ entry which appeared on 12th August 2014, there had only been entries using the nomenclature ‘INT’ which means the core is meant for Internal Testing. Because green follows the same pattern we knew that once the INT chips were spotted the CS chips wouldn’t be that far behind and it looks like our waiting has paid off because the chips with the name GM200-CS0-A1 and GM200-CS1-A1 have been spotted, indicating that the GPU is now more or less ready.
    I'm not at all familiar with 'Zauba', so no idea how reliable this is.
    Rig specs

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    The fact that an nVidia employee /wrote/ the thing suggests that they know what they're talking about.
    Just because they know what they're talking about, it doesn't meant that they're telling the truth.
    There have been a bunch of bad predictions through the years about upcoming hardware.

In this case, I have no doubts that the final product will most likely be a success tho.

Xtreme Addict
    "GM204" is "it" for Nvidia's highend until 2H '15.
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Think about it. Why would nVidia be bringing out new cards so soon? Simple. To cut manufacturing costs by transitioning to 20nm. You can fit a lot more 20nm chips on a wafer than you can 28nm. Also, TSMC's 20nm is in full production on two separate fabs, with a third on the way. And even then, they're completely booked through the end of the year, and one thing's for sure... it's NOT just apple buying all those wafers. Also, Apple recently took delivery of 20nm chips used in the upcoming iphone 6.
    http://wccftech.com/tsmc-warns-capac...ing-3-billion/

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    Think about it. Why would nVidia be bringing out new cards so soon? Simple. To cut manufacturing costs by transitioning to 20nm. You can fit a lot more 20nm chips on a wafer than you can 28nm. Also, TSMC's 20nm is in full production on two separate fabs, with a third on the way. And even then, they're completely booked through the end of the year, and one thing's for sure... it's NOT just apple buying all those wafers. Also, Apple recently took delivery of 20nm chips used in the upcoming iphone 6.
    http://wccftech.com/tsmc-warns-capac...ing-3-billion/
    I haven't heard anything about a 20nm Nvidia GPU and I don't know why they would... especially when 16nm FinFet is right around the corner.