Thread: Errata prompts Intel to disable TSX in Haswell, early Broadwell CPUs

I am Xtreme

Exclamation Errata prompts Intel to disable TSX in Haswell, early Broadwell CPUs

Quote Originally Posted by TechReport
    Errata of this magnitude aren't often discovered this late in the life of a CPU core.

As is customary in such cases, Intel will disable the TSX instructions in current products using a CPU microcode update delivered via new revisions of motherboard firmware. Disabling TSX should ensure stable operation for Haswell CPUs, but those chips will no longer be capable of supporting TSX's features, including hardware lock elision and restricted transactional memory.
    Source: TechReport

Remember SATA failure? While this feature isn't used by many software products, many more hardware units are affected: all Haswell, Haswell-E, and first revision of Broadwell CPUs.
    Last edited by zalbard; 08-12-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Well, damn. From the article update:
    The launch of Intel's high-volume Haswell-EP processors is rapidly approaching, and the TSX errata apparently won't delay that product launch. Instead, a spokesman for the firm informs us that TSX will be available for software developers to enable "for development purposes" on Haswell-EP, so that their code will be "ready for production" once the higher-end Haswell-EX processors arrive at a later date.

In other words, we expect Haswell-EP to ship on schedule with the TSX erratum still etched into its silicon and TSX instructions disabled via a microcode patch. Those who wish to risk working with TSX in Haswell-EP will have the option to enable it via a firmware menu, but Intel recommends waiting for Haswell-EX before using TSX in production systems.

Since the single-socket, enthusiast-oriented Haswell-E processors are based on the same silicon as the lower-end Xeon EP parts, I'd expect the upcoming Core i7 Extreme CPUs to have TSX disabled in microcode, as well.
    TSX isn't just pie-in-sky type stuff either, there are real-world performance gains to be had at all levels of operation - see eg SiSoft on the topic. Seriously hoping that consumer -E parts will see a hardware revision before launch!
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

its not only the sata faillure, there are more, in more platforms, but they are allone and people are hunger for new things allways so ;-)

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Seriously hoping that consumer -E parts will see a hardware revision before launch!
    No chance of that - release is less than a month away. Many CPUs have already been manufactured.

Intel has no ETA for the fix, either.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Mentor
    Ahhh this remind me like first time mmx introduced.
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Source: TechReport

Remember SATA failure? While this feature isn't used by many software products, many more hardware units are affected: all Haswell, Haswell-E, and first revision of Broadwell CPUs.
    P67 SATA failure? Still exists in the V2 boards as well, just dont tell Intel that, they'll deny it.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.