Thread: Preferred methods for spreading thermal paste.

Preferred methods for spreading thermal paste.

Hi all

What everyone's preferred method for applying thermal paste these days. I've got myself a i7 4930k and I've noticed that the cores are located on the top and bottom edges of the cpu so I have to make sure that they have coverage. In the past used to spread the paste about with a spreader, but I'm wondering if the line or blob method maybe better now. I?ve heard that spreading paste can lead to bubbles.
    So what do you all do these days. By the way its GC extreme paste that I'll be using.

the blob method is the way to go since modern paste spreads easy under pressure. the spread was for back in the day with lead and silver pastes that required head and force to spread.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    ^+1; there is now no real need to mechanically spread about most pastes yourself, and from a performance perspective you're probably best off not doing so so as to avoid introducing air bubbles and pockets into the TIM. If you do have a good idea of whereabouts the cores are located under the IHS then a line along the appropriate axis may offer very slightly better temps than a central blob, but only very slightly (and don't dab your line all the way to the end of the IHS, modern TIM is mostly non-conductive but it still makes a mess).
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

This is one of my Gelid Extreme applications on a 4790k(vertical die); I'd probably try to cut it down to 1 mm width but it was difficult going thinner even when heated.
    Last edited by jupitersj; 08-13-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    DFI LP LT X38 BIOS 3/14/08
    e8400 SLAPL BATCH Q815A086 vid=1.0500
    TRUE w/Noctua NF-P12
    G.Skill 2x2gb DDR2-1000
    XFX 9800GTX Black Edition
    WD6400AAKS
    Samsung SATA DL Burner
    Coolermaster Cosmos S
    Audio Technica AD-A700
    Logitech G11 + Razer Copperhead