Thread: Samsung 28UD590

Xtreme Mentor

Samsung 28UD590

Got this 4k monitor today. And been using it for 2 or 3 hours. I don't have much knowladge on monitors but wil try to give you impressions of an long time computer user. Also if you want me to do some test I would be happy to do them. I am planning to make this review as a chronical of my usage.

I will give you a little history of my monitor usage as I believe it will help you to understand my way of thinking on monitors. The most important thing about monitors for me is the resolution. I used my Amiga's Commodore 1942 monitor @640*480 with a very bad flicker. In 2002 I had a 1600*1200 CRT then 1600*1050 and 2 1920*1080 TN panels. But i always missed the 1200 of my CRT.

Was looking for a 2560*1440 monitor for a long time but here it is hard to find lots of good monitor models and the ones we got were IPS panels with very high response times. I mostly game on my computer so response time is important for me. When I first see this monitor it of course catch me with its price and response time.

I know I will going to buy this monitor when I first see it but wait for a month to convince myself about this purchase. And now here it is.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Mentor
    Sorry about the bad pictures. After last update my note3 is having hard time on focusing .

Left: 22" AOC Full HD Led Middle: Samsung XL2370 Right: Is the prom queen.

Xtreme Mentor
    My first impression when I boot into the windows was OMG look at the resolution. My wife who is a mechanical engineer love it. Designers, CAD/CAM users, etc. etc. will fall in love with 4k without a doubt but what about other users.

As a resolution fanatic I can easily say that if your job has nothing to do with 4k then 4k is absolutely unnecessary. But has a very good advantage which I will mention below.

I tried some games BF4, Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite. My system is 3770k @ 4.2 16 Gb ram Lightning 7970 and Power Duo 280x @ 1050 - 1400 Cat 14.6. Windows 7 64 bit. Kingstone Hyper X SSD. None of them is playable @ max settings. With out AA BF4 can have everything @ max and can be playable @ single player but for multi I had to lower some settings. Bioshock is same too. But @ Far Cry I had to lower some settings.

Now the advantage I was mentioned before. I can't speak for sure but I am nearly sure it is because of the high ppi, this 4k monitor won't make your games look muddy if you lower the resolution then 3840*2160. Yes it is true in games @ 2560*1440 it is very hard to tell the difference, also in windows too just some text may seem a very little muddy. In games 1920*1080 looks like ps3 . So if you are a console lover then buy 4k lower resolution to 1920*1080 and vala here is the console emulator for pc.

So in games if your GPU ower is not enough for 4k you can use 2560*1440

Tried to take photo of 384**2160 and 2560*1440 photos but both look terrible. You can find them below but they won't give you anything.

Any idea to make this more scientific?

3840*1440

2560*1440

Xtreme Mentor
    4k flickering and tearing of amd cards @ 3840*2160 60hz

I didn't get much chance to use monitor this weekend but faced some flickerng and tearing issues. I searched the web and see that it is a problem about r9 290 series and some 7970 series.

Mine is not as bad as the video I saw on youtube or some other people described. I got some random sudden image corruptions like a line which is hard to identify most times. Some say short and good shielded cables solves this problem. I will first try covering it with an aliminium folio and will see if that helps.

Xtreme Mentor
    Also I suspect not tearings but some of the flickerings are due to the second monitor i used with this which is full hd. And if signal loss is the reason maybe eleminating dp to mini dp convertor that used may solve this problem too.

Xtreme Mentor
    The inverse ghosting problem:

Today I found that response time = fastest setting of monitor gives disgusting inverse ghosting on some background colors. So I packed up my monitor to give it samsung for making them investigate the situation but while on the trip to samsung boss called for a urgent meeting. After the meeting I searched internet for this situation and see that this is a common issue for most of the 1 ms monitors because of reponse time differences of different color changes. Here is the link that I read this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1472671/s...-has-begun/540

Now I am not sure to give it to the Samsung if this is normal for every u28ud590d there is no point doing like that. And setting it to faster instead of fastest fixes this.

What do you think? What should I do?

I went with the Asus 4K over the Samsung due to the beefier stand and the ability to rotate.

I read on the net that the Asus has the same problem if you change the refresh speed to fastest.

Win7 has a few issues with text and font sizes specified in different browsers and flash/java displaying in actual pixels.

All games so far have been great.

Thanks update on Samsung, I was considering this one.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Kromosto, have you tried testing the monitor from testufo.com? http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping Just set your camera for a longer exposure and turn the ISO down as far as possible. I was able to get good shots w/ an ISO of 80.

Here's the ghosting testing: http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghostin...=960&pursuit=1

I'd be curious to see if it's actually skipping frames or anything. That would also give you a plethora of tests you can do to see if you're getting this inverse ghosting or want an opportunity to get a picture of it.

What do you think?
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 08-11-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I went with the Asus 4K over the Samsung due to the beefier stand and the ability to rotate.

I read on the net that the Asus has the same problem if you change the refresh speed to fastest.

Win7 has a few issues with text and font sizes specified in different browsers and flash/java displaying in actual pixels.

All games so far have been great.

Thanks update on Samsung, I was considering this one.
    ASUS haven't arrived here yet... Maybe I should have wait for it to compare with Samsung and then bought one but once I want to buy something for my computer my logic stops working.

I am using with %125 scaling and didn't have problem about fonts. Even chrome looks good for me which was terrible at my full hd laptop. But when I have time I will upgrade win7 to win8.1

I have been very busy on weekend I want to game with this as sson as possible.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    Kromosto, have you tried testing the monitor from testufo.com? http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping Just set your camera for a longer exposure and turn the ISO down as far as possible. I was able to get good shots w/ an ISO of 80.

Here's the ghosting testing: http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghostin...=960&pursuit=1

I'd be curious to see if it's actually skipping frames or anything. That would also give you a plethora of tests you can do to see if you're getting this inverse ghosting or want an opportunity to get a picture of it.

What do you think?
    Here are the tests. I am open to any advice and I will be happy to do tests as much as I can.

ISO 100 (lowest Note 3 can go) exposure +2.0

Ghosting test

Standard

Faster

Fastest

Xtreme Mentor
    last night a little gaming of BF4 and find that 2560*1440 everything @ max with no AA is good for this system to play BF4 online.

Xtreme Mentor
    I did some development on VS2012 on this monitor and it is really nice to have that amount of space. I event didn't use my second monitor.

But because I am too busy I can't play with my monitor too much but next week I promise I will write some decent comments about my experience.

Xtreme Mentor
    Yesterday I upgraded my win7 ultimate to win 8.1 enterprise with update.

win 8.1 is much much more blurry then win 7, I was expecting the opposite but one good thing is tearings and flickerings dissappeared for now and hopefully they will never appear again.

Xtreme Mentor
    Unfortunatelly corruption problem is still exits... and why it is more muddy in win 8.1 then 7. I feel like I am doing something wrong.