Thread: My second water cooled custom build.

My second water cooled custom build.

This is my second ever liquid cooled computer build I'm going to be attempting. Here's the first.

This time it's taking several months to save up for all the parts, but I kinda wanted to go all out. I'm even going to try my hand at solid acrylic tubing.

Since I wanted to use the same Coolermaster ATCS 840 Case I had to find one on E-Bay. The one I got was perfect, as it was professionally painted gloss black in the interior. The only problem I've had on the first step was with the Radiator which I read somewhere fits the 840. It does width-wise, but not length wise. That sent me to the hardware store to purchase a dremel to cut the case and make room. Still have about a 1/4 that sticks out the back that I'm going to have to get creative with.

THE PARTS

COMPUTER

Coolermaster ATCS 840
    ASUS Rampage IV Black Edtion LGA 2011 Intel X79
    Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1833 Memory
    Corsair Professional Series AXi AX1200
    Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III
    Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive (image drive)
    Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA
    ASUS GeForce GTX780Ti
    ASUS GeForce GTX780Ti
    Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
    Corsair Individually sleeved Cable kit 4
    Corsair Individually Sleeved ATX Cable 24pin, Red
    Asus ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel

LIQUID COOLING (W/SOLID 1/2"OD ACRYLIC TUBING)

BitFenix Spectre LED 230mm Fan (Front)
    BitFenix Spectre Red LED 200mmx25mm Fan (top - pull)
    PrimoChilll 1/2" OD Rigid PETG Tube - 12x 36" Pack - Clear
    Monsoon Hardline Pro Full Bending Kit - 3/8 x 1/2
    PrimoChilll 1/2" OD Rigid Revolver Comp Fittings, 10 Pack, Nickel
    Phobya Xtreme 400 Radiator
    EK ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition Mono Block, Nickel
    EK Monarch Series X4 Ram Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel CSQ
    EK GeForce 780 GTX Ti VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel CSQ
    EK GTX 780 Ti Liquid Cooling Ti Backplate, Black
    EK FC Bridge Triple Parallel SLI Bridge CSQ
    EK FC Bridge Blank Parallel CSQ
    EK UNI Holder 120mm Pump Mount
    EK DDC X-RES Top 100 w/ 3.25 DDC Pump
    EK X3 Reservoir Replacement Tube - 400
    Koolance G1/4 Nozzle Socket Plug - Black x7
    Mod/Smart 20 Station LED Board - Base w/ 10x Red LEDs
    Bitspower G1/4" Mini Valve - Silver
    LutroO Cable Comb 24pin

Rather than fill up the forum with pictures, I've set up the progress pictures and notes here on imgur.

Note that not only am I mostly a lurker on these forums, but I'm also not super experienced at doing these. It's more like an occasional and somewhat practical hobby. So I'm not for example very capable or trusting of my cable sleeving skills (which I did try a little on the first build), hence the purchase of some pre-sleeved cables. Hopefully I can make quality of the management make up for my "cheating".
    Last edited by sybrsean; 09-09-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow! Looks to be quite a nice build.

How much you nab the ATCS 840 for? It used to be one of my favorite cases, and I'd completely forgot about it. Sort of wanted to do a dream build in one of them.
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

159.00 on E-Bay, so I feel like I got it for a steal. I love this case too. I was thinking about case labs, but I couldn't find one that would fit under my desk that I liked.
    Last edited by sybrsean; 08-13-2014 at 06:06 AM.

Updated with some new pictures. Got the Top power, USB and Audio cables in and replaced the top. Checked the fit of the res and found a potential problem. Put in the ROG front bay panel.
    Last edited by sybrsean; 08-13-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Pics pics pics

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Guru
    Any updates?

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Sorry for the long delay in updates. I've been waiting for the EK Waterblock for the Motherboard which was backordered. I should get it today, and be able to make some real progress in the coming weeks which I'll post.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Pics pics pics
    Rather than fill up the forum with pictures, I've set up the progress pictures and notes here on imgur. Hope that's ok.
    Last edited by sybrsean; 09-09-2014 at 12:16 PM.

New Pictures posted!

Finally got the block and started putting things together. Notes below the pictures.

New Pictures posted!

Got the 2 1TB SSD's and 2TB backup drive in, Played with the two GTX 780ti's, fitted the backplate over the radiator. Ordered some needed fittings and played with the Acrylic Tube Bending Kit. Just waiting on the Video card blocks and bridge to move forward.

More or less finished. I kinda rushed things in the end and think there may be some improvements that can be done. (LED in Res top, dimmed LED strip, change the color of the RAM leds, little more cable management.).

The tubes were challenging, but doable. I think I had some 8-10 toss outs, but by the time I was working on the 2nd or 3rd iteration of any one particular run it was very quick and easy.

Please let me know what you think of my second ever build!!

Pictures are on Imgur, but I'll share one here too.