Thread: Migrating OS from old SSD to newer SSD without formatting?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Question Migrating OS from old SSD to newer SSD without formatting?

What it is, recently bought a new Samsung EVO 120GB SSD to replace a third gen 60GB Agility SSD in my main rig that left that SSD free as its too small for anything but an OS drive for my uses, now this this back up rig I'm typing on has an even older and slow by modern SSD standards 2nd gen Ocz SSD 60GB OS drive too that has only recently had Win 8.1 installed on it, would like to migrate my OS to the now unused Agility third gen much faster 60GB SSD that is now spare ... what's best way to do that?

When I bought the new Samsung EVO 120 SSD for my main rig it came with data migration software and an USB to SSD for data and power cable adapter, so thought that would work, but it does not, it detects its not a Samsung SSD and wont let me proceed but other wise it can see the drive and data and even let me format it.

Is there any good software out there than can let me migrate my OS from this old slow 2nd gen Ocz 60GB SSD to the newer spare 3rd gen Ocz 60GB Agility SSD using this adapter from Samsung, of course I could just format and do a re-install of Win 8.1 after changing OS SSD drives but that's time consuming, although its my back up main rig, its still got 6 drives lots of well tuned programmes and is a complex set up that would be very time consuming and laborious to get back to this state and I dont have much spare time these days.

Open to ideas, especially free software idea's as I've way overspent recently.

Cheers.

I am Xtreme
    I used this to clone HDD to External SSD. Worked perfect.
    http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm

i used the software that came with my Samsung SSD

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks guys

Hardass, will have a look at that link ... hope its free , Evantaur, thanks, but as I explained in my post I have that software from my newer Samsung EVO SSD, it does not see anything but a Samsung SSD drive that I kinda understand, the SSD OS drives I'm trying to clone are both Ocz ones.

If there are any more tips for my dilemma, please dont hesitate to chime in.