Thread: Monitor upgrade for photo editing

Lightbulb Monitor upgrade for photo editing

I want to upgrade my monitor. I have the Nikon D7100 and with its 24MP (6000x4000) images I feel too restricted with my 24" 1920x1200 LCD. Heck, I even felt it wasn't enough with my 12MP Nikon D300.

So, I'm looking at bumping up to a 27" 2560x1440. But it has to produce accurate color and good black levels, the latter being something LCDs are historically not good at.

I'm looking at this currently:
    27" IPS-ZERO-G Slim Monitor WQHD 2560x1440

It seems like a great deal, but I want some input first on what everyone is using here.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Subbed, just to see how this pans out. Sorry I have no advice what-so-ever, other than to say I know Dell's ultrasharp monitors are great....they're just flippin' expensive.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've got an older NEC multisync IPS display. Love it to bits and it was cheap (refurb).
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ <---- I would check out this site as they have tons of detailed info about monitors. Hopefully they have some 27" ones available that can help you choose.

Xtreme Member
    EIZO, nuff said.

If you want to grab a monitor strictly for photo editing, pick one that is excellent in that field, especially if you plan to get your pictures printed.

"General purpose" monitors with big ass panels, 4K res and all the other "marketing features" can be great for watching film or gaming but are absolute trash compared to professional grade photo/video editing monitor.

The only downside is the price, EIZO monitors aint cheap.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    If you want to print your photos you also have to buy an expensive calibration kit that supports calibration of your camera + monitor + printer like the i1 Display Pro from X-rite.

Monitor-wise, if you want very good color reproduction and wide gamut support... you'll have to spend a whole lot.
    LaCie, Eizo, Nec, Dell have some professional and semi-professional monitors for the task.

Define your budget, purposes, if you make any money out of it, etc for more specific advice.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Here's what I found.

The Monoprice screen is great when calibrated, but can't dim the backlight. It is on 100% of the time. This leads to high power use. It lowers brightness by altering the digital white point. This means contrast is destroyed when lowering brightness to a calibrated level. Unacceptable.

Next I looked at the ASUS PB278Q. This offered virtually the same panel but with more features. Unfortunately, it has PWM dimming. If you want to know what this is, TFT Central explains it well in their reviews. This may not be an issue for most people but since I have suffered eye strain headaches from viewing certain types of screens, I don't want to take my chances.

So I moved to the Dell 27" Ultrasharp. Looks amazing, but the price is steep. Although, it is about the same price I paid for my 24" BenQ in 2008.

So after reading discussion forums, a new option emerged as a solution to the high price of the Dell, and the undesirable PWM dimming of other screens. The AOC Q2770PQU. This offers a newer version of a PLS panel with full features, and a true DC dimming circuit. No PWM. Plus, you can purchase a good colorimeter and end up at the same price as the Dell, only properly calibrated. I will likely be giving this one a go
    Last edited by Soulburner; 08-08-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Personally I would put my priority on the colors over the resolution. You can always zoom in if you need to pixel peep. I've got no personal experience with AOC, but I find it hard to believe that you're going to find a screen at that resolution with good colors at that price. That said if photos are not top priority then it may not matter.
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Member
    I have a Dell U2713HM. It is an outstanding monitor. I calibrated it with Spectracal's Calman 5 RGB monitor calibration software along with a C6 colorimeter. A delta E value of less than 3 is generally considered excellent and beyond the limit of dection of the human eye. This monitor calibrated grayscale at a delta E of 0.67 when set to a luminance of 33.9. The overall error was 0.3. I at times also play some games which seem to pose no problems either.

Quote Originally Posted by Razmatazz View Post
    I have a Dell U2713HM. It is an outstanding monitor. I calibrated it with Spectracal's Calman 5 RGB monitor calibration software along with a C6 colorimeter. A delta E value of less than 3 is generally considered excellent and beyond the limit of dection of the human eye. This monitor calibrated grayscale at a delta E of 0.67 when set to a luminance of 33.9. The overall error was 0.3. I at times also play some games which seem to pose no problems either
    Nice setup.

For those of us whose budgets are more earthly, something like the AOC Q2770PQU plus a colorimeter rental seems like a great deal. The monitor is new so there is not a large base of user reviews, but the ones posted so far are very positive, as was the TFT Central review. It will get you within a hair of the Dell's accuracy yet have quicker response time, while saving you a couple of Benjamins.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    Personally I would put my priority on the colors over the resolution. You can always zoom in if you need to pixel peep.
    I personally feel very limited in Lightroom at 24", 1920x1200. Oh, and I do not print my own photos. I go through Bay Photo via SmugMug usually.
    Last edited by Soulburner; 08-10-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    Well, mine is Eizo (95% aRGB, S-PVA) and Im obviously pretty happy with it. They have rather good stock factory settings, or at least mine does have. So happy than any future LCD will be Eizo again.

Otherwise, there is as far as I know worth something only few from Dell and NEC. But it depends on money..
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Pulled the trigger on the AOC. Now I wait
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340