Thread: Intel Core i7-5960X De-Lidded Haswell-E Uses Soldered TIM

Intel Core i7-5960X De-Lidded Haswell-E Uses Soldered TIM

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/int...dered-tim.html

For its most powerful Haswell-E based processors Intel will use Soldered TIM based on a strong epoxy. OCDrift discovered that when they removed (read forced off) the heatspreader. Beneath the adhesive layer that secure the IHS to the package, Intel soldered the chip?s die to the IHS with a strong epoxy.

As OCDrift reports; this is a good news for overclockers, simply because soldering the CPU die to the IHS allows for much better heat conductivity than if the gap was to be filled with thermal interface material (TIM) like we?ve seen on the Core i7-3770K, 4770K, and 4790K.

Haswell-E is expected to be released in September 2014, and the rumoured specifications suggested that the top model namely the Core i7-5960X will have 8 cores, 16 threads and clocked at 3.0GHz with a 3.3GHz Turbo peak.

Now the question begs, who the heck did they get that processor from ?
    Good news for us waiting to updated our systems
    Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics - Even if you win, you're still retarded

Can't wait to get one of that sexy 8 cores paired with a 20nm maxwell.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    why is this keep getting posted everywere like a suprise? the last 2 gen of -e cpus have been soliered. his one is EPOXIED, same differance, but the title of this thread is incorrect.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    why is this keep getting posted everywere like a suprise? the last 2 gen of -e cpus have been soliered. his one is EPOXIED, same differance, but the title of this thread is incorrect.
    Exactly. I didn't expect Haswell-E to be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Exactly. I didn't expect Haswell-E to be any different.
    glued to IHS is only thing that matters call it what you want.

c[_]
    "Beneath the adhesive layer that secure the IHS to the package, Intel soldered the chip?s die to the IHS with a strong epoxy."

So its glue, not solder. Heat activated epoxy is not solder.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    all you have is a picture of a forced delidded chip showing what looks like solder at edge, and die cleaved down the middle. And then the person that delidded clearly doesnt know the difference between epoxy and solder via the comment "Beneath the adhesive layer that secure the IHS to the package, Intel soldered the chip?s die to the IHS with a strong epoxy."

So that person thinks solder and epoxy is same thing, hence other than picture, any comments are worthless.

At tdp of 130W, im going with solder at 87 w/mk. There are epoxy's that are typically 1-5W/mk ie no better than paste. And you wont convince me that the thick bright silver is anything but solder.
    Last edited by rge; 07-29-2014 at 07:32 PM.

all outta gum
    What kind of epoxy (or whatever heat-activated polymer/metal composite stuff) holds stronger than die underfill and bond pads? This looks to me like metalised wafer soldered to IHS.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

c[_]
    I've torn gpu die's off using silicone and 24 hour epoxies.. yeah.

Xtreme Addict
    The top of the die, still stuck to the IHS, appears to be sitting on a cushion of whatever they are using...
    I hope that isn't solder.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Addict
    it is a blob of excess solder squished out the side after ihs put onto die.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    So its glue, not solder. Heat activated epoxy is not solder.
    It should still be pretty good, though.

E.g., some silver epoxy results are HERE.

Thermal conductivity of solder: 41 W/m*K.
    Thermal conductivity of ag-epoxy: 29 W/m*K.

The paper is from 2001, so perhaps there is something better by now.

Edit: HERE is a paper from 2007.
    They measure absolute temperatures of an ASIC die using epoxy (EDA) vs solder (SDA). They show that both solutions demonstrate very close results.
    Last edited by zalbard; 08-02-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    It should still be pretty good, though.

E.g., some silver epoxy results are HERE.

Thermal conductivity of solder: 41 W/m*K.
    Thermal conductivity of ag-epoxy: 29 W/m*K.

The paper is from 2001, so perhaps there is something better by now.

Edit: HERE is a paper from 2007.
    They measure absolute temperatures of an ASIC die using epoxy (EDA) vs solder (SDA). They show that both solutions demonstrate very close results.
    Didnt say it couldnt be good, just that its not solder

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Didnt say it couldnt be good, just that its not solder
    I am curious why Intel no longer uses solder, though. Is it just cheaper, or can't chips handle soldering temps anymore?
    If it's much cheaper, it would be nice to see this epoxy used in more affordable chips as well.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    I am curious why Intel no longer uses solder, though. Is it just cheaper, or can't chips handle soldering temps anymore?
    If it's much cheaper, it would be nice to see this epoxy used in more affordable chips as well.
    they do use it, 3930k and 4930k off the top of my head used it. prob expensive. so they are trying to cut costs to pad their profit margins.

Xtreme Member
    I think the whole solder vs tim issue comes down to product differentiation. Too many people are investing in the mainstream oc parts instead of going with the hedp. Intel is just creating a reason to spend more on higher end parts, and I am sure the cost savings is just a bonus to them. This upcoming release has a lot riding on it for enthusiasts. This is about the only generation I am excited about since nahalem. My i7 980 is still working great for me, but having a superior chipset with more cores sounds tempting. The only negative is being one generation behind mainstream parts. Intel should reverse that trend, and I bet sales would be significantly higher with better margins too.

Damn technology stagnation! It really hurts the scene for us hobbyist. Seems monitors, ssd, and perpherials are the only thing innovating lately. Even SSD has been super boring the last 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Deimos*** View Post
    WARNING GTX480 - may cause dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth, dehydration, shortness of breath, headaches, naussea, explosive diahrea

Foxconn Bloodrage P11 ( 2.1 SLIC MOD )
    Corei7 980 (3118B583) 4.2ghz 24-7 with stock vcore
    2x8GB PNY 1600c9 @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1T
    nVidia GTX 770
    256gb OCZ Vertex4 FW 1.5
    2TB Green Barracuda
    Antec HCG-620w PSU
    Corsair H50 ( Sucks Hairry Balls IMHO )
    Coolermaster Storm Sniper Black Custom Sleeved
    3 x Dell U2410 H-IPS 1920x1200 Surround
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Xtreme Addict
    Intels indium solder is 87 w/mk, it is listed in many different white papers, and at indium site. In the recent video which most that have DC has seen, the intel product manager that works with intel engineers states they did not use solder on DC because of cost constraints where use of solder requires a difference in manufacturing process (alluding to need to metalize the surface of silicone die so solder will attach without voids as stated in white paper) since solder would not be used in this chip across multiple platforms (only in DC ie less than 1% chips), but that they do still use solder on the enthusiast platform as all uses require same manufacturing across platforms (ie all need solder, and all will hence need metalize die). Though it looks like some will just have to wait until someone applies heat to it, where solder will be unmistakeable.

The primary role of the IHS is to spread the heat out
    evenly from the die and to provide a better bondline
    control of the interface material. This can be achieved by
    increasing the area of the IHS and by using a high thermal
    conductivity thermal interface material with low
    interfacial resistances. In order to meet thermal dissipation
    targets, Intel introduced polymer thermal interface
    materials (PTIM) initially with 3-4 W/moK bulk thermal
    conductivity and then successfully transitioned to Pb-free
    solder-based thermal interface material to meet the ever
    increasing demand for thermal cooling capability as
    shown in Figure 16.....
    thermal conductivity and the mechanical compliance requirements resulted in
    the development and qualification of low melting
    temperatures (157oC Tm), low mechanical yield strength
    (4-6 MPa), and relatively high thermal conductivity (~87
    W/moK) pure Indium (In) metal for STIM applications.
    http://www.lsi.usp.br/~acseabra/grad...0Packaging.pdf
    Last edited by rge; 08-06-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Good or bad ?... I am waiting for the review result soon.
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Addict
    Not that this should be news to anyone..but just in case:

Editor's Note: We just got confirmation from Intel that Haswell-E uses a soldered TIM, which is even better than the NGPTMI found on Devil's Canyon. This is great news.
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-14.html

Xtreme Monster
    It's good overall, 130 watts to be dissipated, that kind tdp on a fragile aircooling is hard,