Thread: Photoshop/Game Build

Photoshop/Game Build

Hi all, after many years I am again putting together a system parts list, and this is what I came up with. I haven't built a system since around 2006 while so all the stuff has changed and I am kinda out of touch, so I tried to pick well-reviewed parts that would be compatible.

I will use it mainly for three things:
    • Photo workstation --I am an amateur photographer, and do a little work with video, so heavy Lightroom, Photoshop, and some After Effects and Adobe Premiere.
    • Gaming, FPS and RTS mostly.
    • Video streaming(netflix, Amazon, etc and maybe as a DVR, if I can ever get Fios.

As far as other stuff goes, I mainly use a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor, but I would like to get a 4K when the price comes down a bit and they solve some of the issues. Might try crossfire if I have video performance issues but probably not. I would like to do some light overclocking, but I am not trying to break any records. I will probably add a second monitor that can be color-calibrated for photo work eventually.

These are the questions I have:
    • Where have I overspecced (wasting money) or underspecced (making performance bottlenecks)?
    • Have I left anything important out? Are any of the parts flat-out incompatible?
    • Are there better alternatives (or cheaper and just as good) that I overlooked?

Other notes:
    • I am aware that some people have serious problems with the backplane on the HAF XB EVO case. I might test mine out with some old drives but if it's glitchy I will just not use it. I like the case because of the air volume and ease of access to the parts, not so much for the hot swap.
    • The large amount of ram is more for the photos and video than for games. You can't have too much ram for those.
    • The two SSDs: The smaller is for the OS and main applications, the larger is for games.

Thanks for any feedback!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.00@ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($319.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($212.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($389.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-MFJR-07FK-R1 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Cougar Vortex 60.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($13.95 @ Mwave)
    Total: $2361.78
    Last edited by Stranger; 07-19-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Xtreme Member
    You're spending a little too much on the power supply and you're probably going to want a bigger SSD if you are going to put your Lightroom catalog on there, which I suggest doing. So perhaps two 512GB MX-100's; or get one Samsung 840 Evo 1TB for $444 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W16OU/?tag=pcpapi-20