Thread: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? - GURU3D

Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? - GURU3D

EVGA today is launching a new build of PrecisionX, this will be build 15. EVGA has made a move to developing the tweaking utility in-house, meaning they will cut ties with the previous developing programmer. By itself interesting news, but unfortunately this has to be the most awkward story I have ever written in the history of Guru3D.com Did EVGA copy the entire Rivatuner design and features concept from the original programmer ? Read more after the break (update #4)

As most of you guys know, Unwinder up-to this point developed EVGA's PrecisionX of the overclocking software. Basically EVGA licensed the use of the Rivatuner Core overclocking / tweaking elements. EVGA has been working for over half a year on their in-house developed version of PrecisionX. Developing a tweaking tool in-house was an unusual yet understandable choice from EVGA's business point of view. Especially as these days creating tweaking software for GeForce Graphics cards with the latest revisions of NVIDIA's API this is fairly a do-able task. The new PrecisionX will be restricted to GeForce Graphics cards only and will bring all the features of the older build as well as minor tweaks to the UI and 64-bit overlay support.

Over the past months or so here at Guru3D.com have been watching this development closely, as with this build EVGA departs from the old overclock infrastructure based on the Rivatuner core engine from Alexey aka Unwinder. So make no mistake this is correct, PrecisionX software is no longer created or licensed though from Unwinder. Some will love that, some will hate that.
    Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

I am Xtreme
    Yes they did!!!

IF this was a forum user they would get a ban, but this is a company that just took what they wanted and they deserve a LIFETIME BOYCOTT.

You can read Uniwinder's responses at guru3d.com.. This is just sad. If you buy EVGA you are supporting this kind of action from a Corporation.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this cannot actually be a real thing occuring
    so a guy that develops free software for gpu overclocking got paid.
    and now he is claiming propirate tory the UI.
    of a tool he developed on contract for evga. so that a whole new user base benefits from his tool. riva tuner under another name.
    fames and fortunes followed by the celeb style gossip and copyright acts.

Sure hope this stops and he just sits back and enjoys all his effort and hard work being now part of every evga users computer. else evga and msi might just join up and use that tool instead ...
    or did that already occur.

Oh well. if rivatuner didn't update it for the money for evga. maybe we'd never see this money driven support in riva tuner either apparently. and all be using msi's tool on our not msi product. cause it rocks on my amd laptop lol for 3d testing like ati tool once did for me.

if rivatuner didn't make it. anyone else would , for free. as we all obvserved and experienced over the lifetime of gpus. and to boycott evga. over design of the tool that rivatuner guy made money from. while i know it became LACKING and useless of a tool for me recents with my gpu usages of it. maybe the tool would be completely dead now and replace.

or in keywords summary.
    paid
    contract
    whines about ui cloned and exe cloned

as he didn't produce anything for evga and just updated rivatuner for the evga cards and benefited himself. and complains that evga used it as he provided to them on contract?
    doing for his fans of riva tuner the stuff for the money from evga. and now complains about what he provided evga on contract being used as he provided? to meet contract.

oh so the contract stated give us a working tool for this and that, he did that for riva tuner. evga copied that. and now he complains cause they got what they paid him to do in the end. and says, they were not allowed to use the same appearence. well if he did what they asked. maybe it would have worked outside of that compiled exe and ui. they had to clone to get what they paid him for . in contract.

no in the end. if EVGA is shutting down rivatuners website and saying they own it. ya whine then. til then. they did him a solid.
    they could have just waited for him to update the software for free if ever. and linked up these free softwares instead of bundled software. like everyone else in the free world.

and have nvidia update their drivers to do what. ati created with this voltage power curve on the r290's software. all i can see as evga's reasoning to fund this guy at all. which is probally over now. with this spectical.
    Last edited by Greg83; 07-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    MM Duality eZ modded horizon (microres bracket). AMD 8120 4545Mhz 303x15 HTT 2727 1.512v load. 2121Mhz 1.08v idle. (48hour prime95 8k-32768 28GB ram) 32GB GeIL Cosra @ RAM 1212Mhz 8-8-8. 4870x2 800/900 load 200/200 idle. Intel Nic. Sabertooth 990fx . 4x64GB Crucial M4 raid 0 . 128GB Samsung 840 pro. 128GB OCZ Vertex 450. 6x250GB Seagate 7200.10 raid 0 (7+ years still running strong) esata raid across two 4 bay sans digital. Coolit Boreas Water Chiller. CoolerMaster V1000. 3x140MM back. 1x120MMx38MM back. 2x120MMx38MM Front. 6x120MM front. 2x120MM side. silverstone fan filters. 2x120MMx38MM over ram/PWM/VRM , games steam desura origin. 2x2TB WD passport USB 3.0 ($39 hot deal score) 55inch samsung 1080p tv @ 3 feet. $30 month equal payments no int (post xmas deal 2013)

Xtreme Mentor
    vaow if they really did this... i couldn't find a word

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

all outta gum
    They got infected by Nvidia's mindset of standing alone and not giving a damn.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Addict
    Updated:

We just received word from EVGA that they are taking down PrecisionX 15 as download (it will take a few days for steam) and that they will go back to the drawing table with their utility. We have more details and a statement after the break.
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evg...statement.html
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

c[_]
    I wonder if the new blingy GUI interface will be less crap than the old one was? It was almost unusable. Lasted maybe an hour on my system, tops.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    Software is terrible. They added achievements and the statistics server is trash.

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg83 View Post
    this cannot actually be a real thing occuring...
    snip
    Your understanding of this is greatly flawed and you might want to re-research this.