Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Plus One - The 2014 Flagship killer

Champion

One Plus One - The 2014 Flagship killer

A lot of hype circulated the web regarding this phone, and with good reason - it has the hardware of a top notch flagship and the price of a mainstream phone, it can only be bought through invitation and the initial quantity sold out in 1 minute. We put the hyper aside and we tested the "wonder" to see if it lives up to the hype.

One Plus One Review - lab501.net (english)

Weissbier - breakfast of champions

Xtreme Addict
    Nice phone and the specs are astounding !!
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

yes and good price also

Champion
    Is it hard to get it in your countries too?

i only knew about it in the internet, never saw it live :-)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I really miss phone-sized phones.

Xtreme Mentor
    no micro sd slot make user buy 64gb version.
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This device isn't that great. and then on top of it its like this elite little group to get in just to buy it. Seems pretentious.
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Member
    Almost impossible to buy. Been waiting for months.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nossy23 View Post
    My 64gb version is coming this week.
    I can do a comparison vs a Nexus 5 if you want guys.
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SubZero.it View Post
    That would be helpful, my invite is due in 3-4 weeks based on current rate of invites. I'd be going from a Galaxy S3 (Exynos) to the O+O if it has reasonable battery life/gaming performance. I find the Exynos chip judders in ship to ship combat in Assassins Creed Pirates. If it's not that good I can always give the invite to someone else.

Champion
    It is preeetty good

Xtreme Member
    Hopefully this puts pressure to the big companies and forces them to stop charge premium from tech that is not that expensive to make these days. But then again, when apple, lg, samsung, htc have basically all the worlds cell phone manufacturing capacity, there are much room l.eft for others to come and properly challenge them.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nossy23 View Post
    Second how hard it is to even get an invite. I have a Nexus 5 now, which I love but the hardware junkie in me has me drooling over this phone. If I could get an invite, I'd snap sell my phone and order this the same day.

So who has an invite?
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Addict
    Phone has arrived yesterday, but I'm a bit busy. I'll post early next week some comparison shots and my impressions. Sorry!
    A small teaser...
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Phone has arrived yesterday, but I'm a bit busy. I'll post early next week some comparison shots and my impressions. Sorry!
    A small teaser...
    Cyanogen ?
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Cyanogen ?
    That's the OS the phones run on.
    Heatware
    filmbot

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PatRaceTin View Post
    no micro sd slot make user buy 64gb version.
    microSD and AMOLED is why I stuck with Samsung. These advertised storage doesn't matter when you can slot in a 128 GB microSD into your phone. Hell, you can even use an SDCard to microSD adapter for even bigger storage (provided that it can fit inside your phone, I guess!).

I wonder why on earth doesn't any other manufacturer follow what Samsung did. If they add angled keyboards to the mix, it'd be my wet dream. If Samsung ever moved away from microSD, then I'll hold my current phone for a loooong time.
    Last edited by blindbox; 07-23-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, as long as most of the phones out there are with measly 16GB storage, micSD is a deal breaker for me too, not to mention the AMOLED screen which is superior to any other out there at this time(yeah, now that note 3 and S5 phones have accurate colors on movie mode and even screen brightness is close to LCD, there nothing where LCD comes on top).

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Cyanogen ?
    The chinese version comes with ColorOS (the OS from OPPO) and the international version comes with CyanogenMod 11s pre-installed from the factory.

Regarding microSD, I have found during a lot of tests and phones that I have used that 32GB is more then enough for most people, and the 64GB version (the black one is 64GB, the white one is 16GB)of One Plus One should have more then enough memory for every user. Need even more than that? Tere you go, OTG USB for phones...

As far as Amoled vs IPS is concerned, I will personally choose a good quality IPS (think <1 dE) over an Amoled anytime. BUT...it is a thing of personal taste and I can understand people going for the colorful Amoleds.

SubZero.it - waiting for your initial thoughts

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstru View Post
    The chinese version comes with ColorOS (the OS from OPPO) and the international version comes with CyanogenMod 11s pre-installed from the factory.

Regarding microSD, I have found during a lot of tests and phones that I have used that 32GB is more then enough for most people, and the 64GB version (the black one is 64GB, the white one is 16GB)of One Plus One should have more then enough memory for every user. Need even more than that? Tere you go, OTG USB for phones...

As far as Amoled vs IPS is concerned, I will personally choose a good quality IPS (think <1 dE) over an Amoled anytime. BUT...it is a thing of personal taste and I can understand people going for the colorful Amoleds.

SubZero.it - waiting for your initial thoughts
    Sorry, could you explain what delta E is? I was thinking that many people would want accurate colour correction, if given a choice, and as far as I know, on the 1080p AMOLED phones by Samsung, the Movie preset gives extremely accurate colours. EDIT: Found out, you were talking about colour accuracy.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7376/s...ote-3-review/5
    dE <1 on what phones? That sounds interesting.

Unfortunately, my music collection is > 32 GB. Also, each of my lecture recordings is about 500 MB per hour (I compress them when I run out of microSD buffer), and the videos I take with my camera (I bought a phone tripod adapter. Thinking of buying a lens adapter for zooming as well, but so far I don't need it.)... also takes a ton of storage. OTG USB is a hassle, as it would cause the media library to go haywire when the attached device is pulled out.

It's always Samsung for me. If you say 32 GB is enough for most people, why would a lot of people go for Samsung? Because of AMOLED? Then again, Samsung still accounts for ~36% of android, assuming 'others' is android. You might be right I guess. I'm willing to bet they got most of their marketshare from AMOLED and microSD. There isn't any other difference between all of the latest phones.

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24823414
    Last edited by blindbox; 07-24-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    As far as I know, for color reproduction, Samsung AMOLED is total junk due to the oversaturation of blues and greens. How much they've improved since Galaxy S2, I don't know, but I hated looking at that phone.

The Galaxy S5 has a Delta E in Cinema mode of ~6 and blue color temperature. :/
    I got tired of waiting for the 1+1, ordered an Xperia Z2.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 07-25-2014 at 02:45 AM.
    Smile

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7376/s...ote-3-review/5
    dE <1 on what phones? That sounds interesting.
    There are some phones there with an extraordinary IPS screen, like iPhone 5s, HTC One, etc.

Unfortunately, my music collection is > 32 GB. Also, each of my lecture recordings is about 500 MB per hour (I compress them when I run out of microSD buffer), and the videos I take with my camera (I bought a phone tripod adapter. Thinking of buying a lens adapter for zooming as well, but so far I don't need it.)... also takes a ton of storage. OTG USB is a hassle, as it would cause the media library to go haywire when the attached device is pulled out.
    Well, I said most people, not all people

It's always Samsung for me. If you say 32 GB is enough for most people, why would a lot of people go for Samsung? Because of AMOLED? Then again, Samsung still accounts for ~36% of android, assuming 'others' is android. You might be right I guess. I'm willing to bet they got most of their marketshare from AMOLED and microSD. There isn't any other difference between all of the latest phones.
    They go for Samsung because it is a huge brand with HUGE marketing.

How much they've improved since Galaxy S2, I don't know, but I hated looking at that phone.
    They improved quite a lot since S2 (the S2 Amoled was horrible if you ask me) but they are still not close to the IPS color reproduction. Of course, this is when we speak about meters and numbers. When we speak about people, some of them will like the Amoled more, some will like the IPS more, it is a thing of personal taste.

Xtreme Addict
    For the first who see it, here's a link to the invite for buying the OnePlus
    https://account.oneplus.net/invite/c...EMTK-9JTC-APBX
    Stay tuned for more...maybe
    Good luck!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstru View Post
    There are some phones there with an extraordinary IPS screen, like iPhone 5s, HTC One, etc.

Well, I said most people, not all people

They go for Samsung because it is a huge brand with HUGE marketing.

They improved quite a lot since S2 (the S2 Amoled was horrible if you ask me) but they are still not close to the IPS color reproduction. Of course, this is when we speak about meters and numbers. When we speak about people, some of them will like the Amoled more, some will like the IPS more, it is a thing of personal taste.
    Interestingly, AMOLED is catching up, very fast. I didn't notice this review. http://anandtech.com/show/8258/evalu...moled-displays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast