Thread: PSU for low power HTPC?

PSU for low power HTPC?

Hi,

I'm planning to build a HTPC with some combined functions (NAS, FTP-server, TeamSpeak server)
    I belive I've picked out quite the hardware I need with focus on low power consumption, the only thing I'm not sure of is the PSU.
    Hardware:
    Intel i3 4130
    Asrock B85M-ITX
    Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 1,35v
    Crucial M500 120GB
    Fractal Design Node 304

And then PSU... I'v been looking at Seasonic G360 Gold cert but I'm not sure if that would be optimal considering the "bad" power efficency on lower watt,
    and I belive its gonna idle most of the time which would mean hopefully around 15w with the above hardware.
    Which have made me concider a PicoPSU instead, but how good are these PSUs if you look at power efficency? And would it be possible to supply an additional 3 HDDs on a PicoPSU?
    Most of the units I've been llooking at have only had one sata power connector? Or would it be better going for a "real" PSU when adding additional HDDs?

Thanks in advance for ur tips
    Lehto

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehto View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to build a HTPC with some combined functions (NAS, FTP-server, TeamSpeak server)
    I belive I've picked out quite the hardware I need with focus on low power consumption, the only thing I'm not sure of is the PSU.
    Hardware:
    Intel i3 4130
    Asrock B85M-ITX
    Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 1,35v
    Crucial M500 120GB
    Fractal Design Node 304

And then PSU... I'v been looking at Seasonic G360 Gold cert but I'm not sure if that would be optimal considering the "bad" power efficency on lower watt,
    and I belive its gonna idle most of the time which would mean hopefully around 15w with the above hardware.
    Which have made me concider a PicoPSU instead, but how good are these PSUs if you look at power efficency? And would it be possible to supply an additional 3 HDDs on a PicoPSU?
    Most of the units I've been llooking at have only had one sata power connector? Or would it be better going for a "real" PSU when adding additional HDDs?
    Unless you get a really good deal on a gold cert PSU dont bother paying the gold premium, just buy the cheapest/lowest wattage Corsair/Seasonic/reliable brand name PSU which will be very close in power usage running @ idle anyway

If your thinking of adding more drives and streaming hi def video/whatever then forget about Pico, yes it will work but in my experience with numerours Pico builds its just not worth the grief when things dont work as they should due to a power supply that can barely cope with the load, just try running a BD movie/drive + two or three HDD's and and then see how choppy watching a movie can get

Yes you will save ~ $5 a year on power with a Pico but unless you need the very smallest case its just not worth the hassle in my experience
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Unless you get a really good deal on a gold cert PSU dont bother paying the gold premium, just buy the cheapest/lowest wattage Corsair/Seasonic/reliable brand name PSU which will be very close in power usage running @ idle anyway

If your thinking of adding more drives and streaming hi def video/whatever then forget about Pico, yes it will work but in my experience with numerours Pico builds its just not worth the grief when things dont work as they should due to a power supply that can barely cope with the load, just try running a BD movie/drive + two or three HDD's and and then see how choppy watching a movie can get

Yes you will save ~ $5 a year on power with a Pico but unless you need the very smallest case its just not worth the hassle in my experience
    Hi, thank you very much for your input!

In the end I've planned to have 1x SSD and 3x HDDs so as you suggest I think I stick with a real PSU and skip the Pico since the chassi don't have a problem to swallow it.
    As you also stated a lower specified power supply would probably be best but there really isn't much to choose from, the lowest one from seasonic at least here in Sweden is that G360 gold.
    A 200 or 250w would probably be the best, but I require one that is pretty silent too so can't buy the first one I see with like 80mm fan.
    Do you happen to have any suggestions? I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem to buy it from abroad either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehto View Post

In the end I've planned to have 1x SSD and 3x HDDs so as you suggest I think I stick with a real PSU and skip the Pico since the chassi don't have a problem to swallow it.
    As you also stated a lower specified power supply would probably be best but there really isn't much to choose from, the lowest one from seasonic at least here in Sweden is that G360 gold.
    Do you happen to have any suggestions? I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem to buy it from abroad either.
    The G360 is really cheap in AU but I have no idea how much they charge in EU, do you have a preference for modular ???, much easier for a tidy instal but depends on whats avaialable, If I was buying new again for an HTPC I'd buy the Corsair CX Series™ Modular CX430M, more than enough output and only a few % less efficient @ 20% load
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's