Thread: Advancing and expanding Help Fight Childhood Cancer research

Xtreme Cruncher

Advancing and expanding Help Fight Childhood Cancer research

@WCG

By: Dr. Akira Nakagawara, MD, PhD
    President Emeritus, Chiba Cancer Center
    2 Jul 2014

Summary
    Dr. Nakagawara, the lead researcher for Help Fight Childhood Cancer, provides an update on his continued efforts to advance his neuroblastoma drug candidate discovery, his transition to a new role and his hopes for expanding his research on World Community Grid to other pediatric cancers.

I recently accepted a position as CEO of the Saga Medical Center KOSEIKAN, located at Saga City on the island of Kyushu, Japan. The Saga prefecture is my home region, and Saga's governor asked me to come back to manage the region's biggest general hospital. A new research institute is being set up within the hospital, which will be affiliated with Kyushu and Saga universities in the near future.

My association with the Chiba Cancer Center will continue - I am now President Emeritus and will keep my research position at Chiba's research institute as an official councilor. The collaboration between the Chiba Cancer Center Research Institute and Chiba University will also continue. In this capacity, I aim to build on the success of the first phase of Help Fight Childhood Cancer (the discovery of several drug candidates which in lab testing killed cancer cells, with no apparent side effects). While we will be closing out this phase of the project on World Community Grid, we will continue our efforts to seek pharmaceutical collaborations to advance these promising drug candidates through the drug development process.

I also plan to expand our research. We have started planning for a second phase to the project, possibly in collaboration with a newly formed pan-Asian oncology group, of which we are a founding member. While Phase I of Help Fight Childhood Cancer focused on neuroblastoma, we hope to expand the scope of Phase II to cover multiple pediatric cancers. We are in early discussions to define the scope of Phase II and look forward to working with our oncology collaborators and with the World Community Grid team to bring this project to World Community Grid volunteers.

We are so grateful of the support of World Community Grid volunteers and the role you've played in powering our Phase I research. We hope we can count on your continued support and participation as we prepare for Phase II.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Awesome news!!! Not only more crunching, but progress! (And potentially more resources from the scientists side!)

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks Otis, nice to see someone has something to say around here.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Haha, yeah, it has been fairly quiet... where'd everybody go? Sound off!

hopefully it will run on GPUs

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Evantaur View Post
    hopefully it will run on GPUs
    That would be awesome! I'm hoping the get something figured out soon in that area as I'm looking to completely revamp my farm in the next 2 years... would be nice to have some stability in GPUs to show it's going to continue before I jump in and invest significantly...

Plus, harnessing the extra work potential is just good for the project in general! (in the mean time - Nvidia go to GPUGrid, AMD I'm not quite sure where's best?)

Xtreme Cruncher
    IF they do release a GPU project it will be CUDA only. Why? Because I have 4 AMDs and 1 CUDA GPU.

Seriously, a GPU project would put this team back toward the top again.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    IF they do release a GPU project it will be CUDA only. Why? Because I have 4 AMDs and 1 CUDA GPU.

Seriously, a GPU project would put this team back toward the top again.
    It actually is very likely to be CUDA - why? Because these are actually complex problems that are difficult to vectorize... CUDA has lots of support and great development features, OpenCL, well, doesn't. From a development and support perspective, they're much better off with CUDA, even if it sacrifices half their user base, they sadly have more power than they can use since they're likely to be the only GPU project on WCG for a while. (Likely to run out of work units to keep the GPUs all busy consistently anyway - unless they're seriously prepared for it)

Xtreme Cruncher
    No they will pick CUDA because I have AMD. Science and math have nothing to do with it. They hates us precious.

A WCG GPU project would be enough to get me to get that new GTX 970 I have been drooling over
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 09-20-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    No they will pick CUDA because I have AMD. Science and math have nothing to do with it. They hates us precious.

A WCG GPU project would be enough to get me to get 10 GTX 980s I have been drooling over
    I think you had a few typos...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    I think you had a few typos...
    This from Mr. "Role Call"?

*cough cough*
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

HWiNFO Author
    I think in news some time ago there was something about porting MCM1 to GPUs...
    The new UGM1 (Uncovering Genome Mysteries) will be CPU only (at least for the start).

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    This from Mr. "Role Call"?

*cough cough*
    Huh... I had to google that. What'd'ya know...

(And I wasn't picking on him for grammar - I changed it to be 10 higher end GPUs instead of 1 high end.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
    I think in news some time ago there was something about porting MCM1 to GPUs...
    The new UGM1 (Uncovering Genome Mysteries) will be CPU only (at least for the start).
    Aww... sad day...

Any idea how the first GPU based project went? Did they get good results and it all go smoothly? Or is there a reason they're not having another one in the mean time (Other than the scientists simply don't want to code it)?

HWiNFO Author
    I haven't seen any further info about GPU..
    There's about 1 year left for MCM1, if they would launch a GPU version we'd complete it in a month or so...
    So maybe it's also a bit of politics - if all projects on WCG would be GPU, they all would be finished already and WCG would be empty

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumak View Post
    I haven't seen any further info about GPU..
    There's about 1 year left for MCM1, if they would launch a GPU version we'd complete it in a month or so...
    So maybe it's also a bit of politics - if all projects on WCG would be GPU, they all would be finished already and WCG would be empty
    But I feel like they would just accept more projects... I don't think there's a shortage of projects interested. They just limit the new projects in efforts to maintain enough resources for the current scientists. (at least to my understanding - they're concerned with getting a bunch of new projects and then old projects starting a phase 2 or 3 at the same time...)

My 7950 stays idle far too much...
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Linux those diseases
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    My 7950 stays idle far too much...
    Bring it over to Einstein@home. We're doing quite well there. Currently #1 team by RAC

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneageman View Post
    Bring it over to Einstein@home. We're doing quite well there. Currently #1 team by RAC
    Sam, What is the Team's name? Do you have link to its home page? Can you crunch WCG CPU WUs with a rig that has its GPU(s) committed to Einstein?

What are the steps to follow to join you guys and set it up?

HWiNFO Author
    Team is XtremeSystems.
    Sure, you can crunch WCG CPU WUs along with E@H GPU WUs. For AMD GPUs make sure to leave one core spare for each GPU/WU (which is not default). They have CPU WUs too, so if you want to crunch on GPU only, make sure to select BRP4G or BRP5 tasks.
    Some more info here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5238591

Also, their GPU tasks utilize the GPU only up-to 75%, which is a safety feature. So if you want a better RAC make sure to run multiple WUs (2-3 / GPU). You don't need an app_config for this, you can define this via their Preferences ("GPU utilization factor of BRP apps").

BTW, if your machine finds a pulsar (BRP4 or BRP5), you'll get a certificate from them
    Last edited by Mumak; 09-23-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Mumak and PG,

Thank you very much for quickly answering my post. This is exactly what I was looking for.