Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 - 2nd Gen Maxwell

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Sadly it looks like the $999 MSRP is here to stay.

GPU makers got jealous, in the past only Intel & AMD's flagship CPUs "could" ask for that amount of money... nowadays everybody's doing it.
    If somebody in the SSD sector for example manages to double the current Random 4k RW speed records, I wouldn't be surprised to see it asking three times the price of the current performance king.
    PCI-E SSDs have been over the 1k barrier for some time now. And workstation/enterprise class drives have always been crazy expensive... but they've shown up in desktops from time to time as well. The MSRP of the Titan should be $999, it should not be any lower. Titan was never truly a gaming card, it's a cheap GPU compute card that also happens to play games just fine. If you're buying it for gaming, you're not actually using the features of it that make it a steal at $999 compared to say a tesla. Now you can build a "gaming desktop" and load it up with Titan, PCI-E SSD, hardware RAID card to intel SSD 730s, and an EE CPU... and it will game just fine just fine and be a great box. However you aren't using any of these things to their max potential. Every single item, even the Titan, is being wasted.

A lot of these products are prosumer rather than consumer. They are workstation class items with some features intact, some missing, sold at price points firmly between consumer and professional gear. There's really nothing wrong with their price point. Geforce, Titan, Quadro, Tesla are all targeting different groups, and the price goes up reasonably for their intended usage model.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

I am Xtreme
    The way Nvidia advertises the Titan lineup is as gaming cards though. It is a gaming card that just so happens to excel at double precision as well.

GeForce GTX TITAN Z
    GeForce? GTX? TITAN Z is a gaming monster, the fastest graphics card we?ve built to power the most extreme PC gaming rigs on the planet. Stacked with 5760 cores and 12 GB of memory, this dual GPU gives you the power to drive even the most insane multi-monitor displays and 4K hyper PC machines.
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...ce-gtx-titan-z

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    The way Nvidia advertises the Titan lineup is as gaming cards though. It is a gaming card that just so happens to excel at double precision as well.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...ce-gtx-titan-z
    Gamers are a market that generally isn't tech savy, has more money than brains, and loves spending cash. I'm not going to criticize them for taking money from suckers through marketing tricks any more then I'm going to criticize Rolex for selling the Submariner as a dive watch to doctors. If you can find someone silly enough to buy it, you should take them for every last cent they have. See selling AR-15's to rednecks with all the mods by scaring them about the government and brown people, or selling Hummers to people in NYC. nvidia also sells them as super computers.

Marketing is all about convincing people to buy something... not about selling them things they could actually use. It's the buyers job to only buy things they can fully use, it's the marketers job to make you buy the most expensive thing possible even if you can't use it. Who's the smarter cat in this game is known by what gets bought!
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crash5s View Post
    Gamers are a market that generally isn't tech savy, has more money than brains, and loves spending cash. I'm not going to criticize them for taking money from suckers through marketing tricks any more then I'm going to criticize Rolex for selling the Submariner as a dive watch to doctors. If you can find someone silly enough to buy it, you should take them for every last cent they have. See selling AR-15's to rednecks with all the mods by scaring them about the government and brown people, or selling Hummers to people in NYC. nvidia also sells them as super computers.

Marketing is all about convincing people to buy something... not about selling them things they could actually use. It's the buyers job to only buy things they can fully use, it's the marketers job to make you buy the most expensive thing possible even if you can't use it. Who's the smarter cat in this game is known by what gets bought!
    Fully agree with the second part, I think it's really rare for users on this forum see an advert for new hardware before they've read a review, considered it's pros and cons, and formed a pretty solid opinion of it. Maybe reading a few other reviews and endorsements from people they respect may sway their view either way, but an advert won't stand a chance.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Sadly it looks like the $999 MSRP is here to stay.

GPU makers got jealous, in the past only Intel & AMD's flagship CPUs "could" ask for that amount of money... nowadays everybody's doing it.
    If somebody in the SSD sector for example manages to double the current Random 4k RW speed records, I wouldn't be surprised to see it asking three times the price of the current performance king.
    the prices also drop a lot faster there, since they release new products on a faster pace. Like gpu manufacturers did in the past, now with luck we get a refresh after a year and a new ?arch after 2.

Xtreme Addict
    This time it is pretty confirmed: Maxwell 28nm = November

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvi...-november.html

Hilbert H. wrote:

I can write with pretty good indication that in the November 2014 we will see Nvidia launch their new GeForce GTX 870 and GTX 880 graphics cards. Last week at an Nvidia event a little birdie already whispered in my ears 'we'll see you again soon Hilbert'. More info from an external source however indicates that 28nm Maxwell based GPUs (indeed not 20nm) will be released within roughly three months time.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    So what's this thing;

http://ultimate.nvidia.eu/en-gb

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    So what's this thing;

http://ultimate.nvidia.eu/en-gb

-PB
    Their new Shield tablet ?
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Alleged 880 benchmarks:
    The Maxwell GTX 880 in this particular 3D Mark benchmark boasts a very impressive result of 6110. Since the GTX 780 scores around the 4500 Mark and the GTX 780 Ti scores around the 5000 Mark, this is impressive performance. Comparing it to its predecessor, the GTX 780 we see an almost 40-35% power jump which is quite decent.
    Authenticity not proven, but exciting and not beyond the realm of probability.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    Gpu score is 28 percent higher than a 780 ti, if legit of course which I'm hearing it isn't (reportedly lower than actual card will be) . Launch rumors pointing very strongly at gamescom mid August though which is exciting! Can't wait.... One poster at OCN said a birdie told him mid August several days ago and now we're hearing that on H, as well as nvidia tweets about mid August and posting gamescom pages on their site.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Gpu score is 28 percent higher than a 780 ti, if legit of course which I'm hearing it isn't (reportedly lower than actual card will be) . Launch rumors pointing very strongly at gamescom mid August though which is exciting! Can't wait.... One poster at OCN said a birdie told him mid August several days ago and now we're hearing that on H, as well as nvidia tweets about mid August and posting gamescom pages on their site.

How do you get 28%? I'm only getting 22% ?
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nossy23 View Post
    How do you get 28%? I'm only getting 22% ?
    GPU score. Not cpu and gpu combined. Look at the screenshot. You don't compare video cards with the combined system score.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Give us something fresh, my two 780 ti cards are rather dusty.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by flesheatinvirus View Post
    Give us something fresh, my two 780 ti cards are rather dusty.
    Sell one to me!

(but serious, pm me)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Alleged 880 benchmarks:

Authenticity not proven, but exciting and not beyond the realm of probability.
    There is zero indication that this is a GTX 8xx card other than from author's fantasy...
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Their new Shield tablet ?
    So it was.

How lame.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    There is zero indication that this is a GTX 8xx card other than from author's fantasy...
    Wel...not quite, the article does point out that there's fairly clearly a blurred 8 and then probably another 8:

However, there is indeed nothing to stop this being a straight out shop or other manipulation, but of course that's the nature of any pre-release rumour.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Addict
    I can totally believe the 25% improvement over previous generation. But I'll be more interested when I start seeing pictures of the hardware..
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    G-Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb - 2133Mhz
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    i7 2600k @ 4.4Ghz
    Sapphire 7970 OC 1.2Ghz
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 128Gb

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriman View Post
    I can totally believe the 25% improvement over previous generation. But I'll be more interested when I start seeing pictures of the hardware..
    Well, there's what purports to be an ES (albeit a pixellated one) in the OP :P
    Rig specs

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Wel...not quite, the article does point out that there's fairly clearly a blurred 8 and then probably another 8:

However, there is indeed nothing to stop this being a straight out shop or other manipulation, but of course that's the nature of any pre-release rumour.
    Bad blur job looks like marketing to me

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Bad blur job looks like marketing to me
    Haha, yeah, distinct possibility. Still, if it is PR then even assuming drivers that have been optimised to hell and back for Futuremark, bodes well for general performance and lends a touch of credibility.
    Rig specs

Xtreme Member
    launch of gtx 880/870 last week of september, i dont know if it is HARD launch, but this is date of official reviews!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Performance? If it were more than 25% faster than the 780 Ti, I would be surprised...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    Performance? If it were more than 25% faster than the 780 Ti, I would be surprised...
    25% isn't a huge amount in fps, like going from 35 to 43fps. I reckon a new architecture, even if on 28nm should at least be around that. Over that, well, I'd be hopeful. But we know almost nothing yet so would love to be proven wrong. I think most of us with normal resolution monitors won't care that much. It's not like there are many games around that need that much performance nowadays.

Looking forward to massive price drops for older gen cards. No way would I again spend ?500 on a gfx card. ?200 tops lol.
    Last edited by Tim; 07-31-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
    ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
    EVGA GTX 970 SC
    Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LP 1600
    Corsair H80
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO, 500GB WD Scorpio Blue, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Corsair RM650
    Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
    OC: 5Ghz | +0.185 offset : 1.352v

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123