Thread: Linux Mint v17

Xtreme Mentor

Linux Mint v17

I have a bunch of extra parts laying around, so I decided to buy a case and put a rig together to sell on Craigslist. The one drawback was that I didn't have a spare Windows OS laying around, and didn't feel like forking out $100 for an OEM Windows disk...

That brings me to the point of this post.
    I put the rig together and installed the newest version Mint on it... All I can say is WOW!
    The install went very smooth and it recognized all the gear without any problems.

Hardware used:
    CPU: AMD A10 7850k
    Mobo: ASRock FM2 Pro4+
    Misc: WD 1Tb Blk, DVD writer and 8Gb of 1600 Samsung mem

The learning curve on Mint seems really easy for a person coming from a MS background, and the system updates came in a flash! As long as you don't want to run Windows based games it's quite functional!

I've only had an hour or two to play with it (so far), but the basic functions (pre-installed) include:
    FireFox, Thunderbird (mail server) and a Media Player (w/codecs) that play every file I've thrown at it including FLAC, M2TS, AVI and MP4. I'm sure this is no surprise to Linux fans, but I may have found a Linux OS I can live with...

I've not been very happy with Win 8.1 and WMC. Might be time to give Mint and XBMC a try!

Here's a link:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have been using Mint for a few years now along side many others for much longer. Love Mint for personal use. I even let my girlfriend borrow my 2nd laptop that I didnt really use, just ran an update to put it up to date and let her have at it, and it took her no time to learn and she likes it. Of course all she does is the typical web surfing so she can't tell a difference, yet being linux it will work amazing, the virus threat is not like MS, etc.

So really for anyone that likes the MS layout I highly suggest it over Ubuntu, but any Mac people I usually point towards Ubuntu over Mint.
    Last edited by HuffPCair; 07-02-2014 at 02:29 AM.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Member
    I've been using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit for almost a year and a half. The first week or so it was pretty frustrating but after I got the hang of installing things it got easier. Now I love it. I even use my VPN in Linux, and its much more stable. I can be on my VPN for days without an interruption. Banshee is a decent audio player. I use VLC for video. Brasero is a decent no frills burner along the lines of ImgBrn or Brrn or whatever those programs were/are. I do have dual boots with Windows and MacOSX just in case I need to use some OS dependent proprietary software(Usually Word or PPoint). Heck I even have Netflix working on Linux.

I should give a shout out to D_A and Old Chap for helping me install BOINC and get WCG up and going on my first Linux boxes as well as answering questions. As well as PG and some other people I"m probably forgetting right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    the virus threat is not like MS, etc.
    That's true, but don't get lulled into a false sense of security like the iSheep. There are some nasties that will infect Linux machines. I've been using a Linux based antivirus program from Comodo just as backup. Also, I turn the built in firewall on. I would like to upgrade to a better, more feature reach firewall. I just keep forgetting to tinker with some of the ones that are available for Linux.
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Legend
    Haven't gotten around to 17 yet but in general I have to agree with everything mentioned so far. Because I still have one Windows box I have not learnt as much as I should but from the time it takes to do a fresh install and upgrade or update to the mostly intuitive places to find stuff, for day to day use that does not require specific programs it is a breeze.

Not being anything like a power user I can get along with LibreOffice too

Now I am trying to get a very small and fast Linux running the way I want and so far so good....fits on a 1GB stick

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    There seems to be some changes in LM17. Updating, driver installation, and display amongst them. Also they have HiDP and Retina graphics display support. Also they have the latest Linux kernel embedded in it:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_c...n_whatsnew.php

Looks like its time to update......
    Desktop rigs:
    Oysterhead- Intel i5-2320 CPU@3.0Ghz, Zalman 9500AT2, 8Gb Patriot 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 120Gb Kingston V200+ SSD, 1Tb Seagate HD, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit, LG 330W PSU

Flying Frog Brigade-Intel Xeon W3520@2.66Ghz, 6Gb Hynix 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 640Gb Hitachi HD, 512Mb GDDR5 AMD HD4870, Mac OSX 10.6.8/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon dual boot

Laptop:
    Colonel Claypool-Intel T6600 Core 2 Duo, 4Gb 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 1Gb GDDR3 Nvidia 230M,240Gb Edge SATA6 SSD, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Xtreme Mentor
    You folks seem to have alot more experience with Mint than me...

Banshee is pretty cool and plays everything I need, but I can't figure out how to make music playlist's.
    Is there a better option for music (Jukebox)? I'm impressed with Mint, but if you folks could help me out with what (best) packages to DL I'd appreciate it...

Sad as it may seem, I'm trying to free up the Win7 OS I use in my game room (mainly used for music), so I can use it on my HTPC.

I know I should do most of the experimenting myself, but if anyone has any tips It'd make my life easier...
    What can I say, I'm frikken lazy!

Thank's
    Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    There seems to be some changes in LM17. Updating, driver installation, and display amongst them. Also they have HiDP and Retina graphics display support. Also they have the latest Linux kernel embedded in it:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_qiana_c...n_whatsnew.php

Looks like its time to update......
    Me too, if it wasn't for lightroom I'd ditch the virus called windows today, I know its fashionable to bad mouth MS but the way they have treated users is unforgivable, I refuse to build rigs for ppl these days if they want windows

I have an old Dull Latitude D420 lappy that used to run W7 that was a real dog due to being so slow even with an SSD but since installing Mint its soooo much more responsive
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by yojimbo197 View Post
    I've been using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64 bit for almost a year and a half. The first week or so it was pretty frustrating but after I got the hang of installing things it got easier. Now I love it. I even use my VPN in Linux, and its much more stable. I can be on my VPN for days without an interruption. Banshee is a decent audio player. I use VLC for video. Brasero is a decent no frills burner along the lines of ImgBrn or Brrn or whatever those programs were/are. I do have dual boots with Windows and MacOSX just in case I need to use some OS dependent proprietary software(Usually Word or PPoint). Heck I even have Netflix working on Linux.

I should give a shout out to D_A and Old Chap for helping me install BOINC and get WCG up and going on my first Linux boxes as well as answering questions. As well as PG and some other people I"m probably forgetting right now.

That's true, but don't get lulled into a false sense of security like the iSheep. There are some nasties that will infect Linux machines. I've been using a Linux based antivirus program from Comodo just as backup. Also, I turn the built in firewall on. I would like to upgrade to a better, more feature reach firewall. I just keep forgetting to tinker with some of the ones that are available for Linux.
    LOL trust me I know plenty about Linux.
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Dave, you could try running your favorite windows music player via Wine under Linux. For video there's VLC
    That's how I run foobar2000 on my Mint installation. Works fine, except some problems with cyrillic text when I load flac tracks from .cue file.
    You can also try to install a windows program via Playonlinux.

Easiest way for you would be to install wine, winetricks and playonlinux from the software manager. Then run the Wine config utility.

or you can use the console:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine winetricks playonlinux
    Last edited by I.nfraR.ed; 07-04-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks Ivan,
    I'll try the various Windows emulators.

I went ahead and installed the Game Room copy of Win7 on the HTPC (hopefully it'll let me validate when it gets insistent)... Win 8.1 just had too many problems running WMC, lost tuners, saying things were "copy protected" and couldn't play, just too quirky in general!!!

On the bright side, JRiver Media Center has a version for Linux! I bought it and have a key for Windows, hopefully it'll work on the Game Room PC using Mint.

Thanks for the help,
    Dave

Xtreme Cruncher
    also check out pipelight for any programs like netflix that use sliverlight, or shockwave, etc.
    Last edited by HuffPCair; 07-06-2014 at 06:17 AM.
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~