Thread: Standbymode with Windows XP on Z87?

Standbymode with Windows XP on Z87?

Hi guys,

My setup is a 4770K CPU with an Asus Z87-A mainboard, but I have the same problem with an ASRock Z87 Pro3 board.

I googled a lot to find drivers for Win XP and so managed to get rid of all yellow exclamation marks in device manager. System works well. The only problem so far is that I can't enter the standbymode (S3, Suspend to RAM). Same with S4, but that is not important for me. Windows starts going into standbymode, but next second the display is on again and windows shows the following message: "the device driver for the 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System' device is preventing the machine from entering standby".

The installed driver for this device is acpi.sys from Microsoft, version 5.1.2535.0, date 01.07.2001. I can't find any newer one on the net.

Has anyone solved the standby problem and would let me know how?

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    first, why did you buy a current gen hardware setup and not upgrade the dinosaur of an OS?
    that in itself could be causing that issue.

holycrap, registered in 2005 and this is your first post! WELCOME TO XS!

Xtreme Member
    I'm curious, how fast does Windows XP feel on such a setup?

Sorry I cannot help with the suspend situation.

Thanks for welcoming!

I can't upgrade OS, because, I use Software (with printer drivers), that is not running on Windows 7/8. Virtual Machine isn't a solution, too. But Please don't discuss further about OS upgading. For me (at current time) there's no alternative to Windows XP. If there is no solution for standby with Haswell, I would rather stay at Ivy.

And yes, buying Haswell was my mistake. I simply didn't know, that it is not running with Win XP.
    Last edited by Sunny01; 06-29-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicey View Post
    I'm curious, how fast does Windows XP feel on such a setup?
    So far it feels good, but I've done only a testinstallation yet (with 2,5'' HDD, no SSD).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny01 View Post

The installed driver for this device is acpi.sys from Microsoft, version 5.1.2535.0, date 01.07.2001. I can't find any newer one on the net.
    That's a little strange, because a 2001 date is supposed to indicate an XP without service packs. SP3 usually has 2008 dates.
    Asus Maximus II Gene -Yorkfield Q9450 SLAWR
    -GeForce GTX 660