Thread: Cable Amplifiers

Xtreme Mentor

Cable Amplifiers

I've been wondering if I need one of these...
    Lately, my HTPC has been giving error messages (occasionally), saying that I have a weak signal.
    I'm not sure if an amp would help or if I just need to call TWC for a service.
    My incoming cable is split (using high quality "Monster" splitters) as follows:

When the cable enters the house it goes through a 2x splitter. One output going to the DVR, and the other going to a 4x that feeds the following devices:
    1) An Internet cable modem (Surfboard)
    2) Motorola Phone modem
    3) SiliconDust HD Prime (CableCard Tuner)
    4) TWC's (Cisco) tuning adapter

I'm assuming that since I have a DVR (w/PPV) and a cable phone, I would need an amp that's bi-directional?

I've been looking at one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signa...ble+amplifiers

I'm hoping one of my XS brothern works for a cable company or at the very least is more familiar with this stuff than I am....

Thanks,
    Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

c[_]
    Might just try getting a better splitter, monster is typically junk.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Im not a "cable guy", but it seems like a good idea to me to get that higher quality amplifier/splitter. Many Monster products are junk, some are actually pretty decent, but either way it is still splitting the signal 4 ways and is not an amp. One thing though with cable that I know of is for internet use, too high of signal will actually degrade your performance. You should try and get into your internet modem and look at the actual signal level values and see what you are at.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    I've been wondering if I need one of these...
    Lately, my HTPC has been giving error messages (occasionally), saying that I have a weak signal.
    I'm not sure if an amp would help or if I just need to call TWC for a service.
    My incoming cable is split (using high quality "Monster" splitters) as follows:

When the cable enters the house it goes through a 2x splitter. One output going to the DVR, and the other going to a 4x that feeds the following devices:
    1) An Internet cable modem (Surfboard)
    2) Motorola Phone modem
    3) SiliconDust HD Prime (CableCard Tuner)
    4) TWC's (Cisco) tuning adapter

I'm assuming that since I have a DVR (w/PPV) and a cable phone, I would need an amp that's bi-directional?

I've been looking at one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Signa...ble+amplifiers

I'm hoping one of my XS brothern works for a cable company or at the very least is more familiar with this stuff than I am....

Thanks,
    Dave
    Still having issues?

Type 192.168.100.1 to see the Cable Modem's status / signal strength... more than -10dbmv is an issue.
    The phone modem can't be accessed from the LAN.

I can't help with the CableCard Tuner but for the DVR, if it is a Scientific Atlanta / Cisco 8000 series, then hold down the power button on the remote until the light blinks on the box, then press it again and you will get the diagnostic pages. Use the PAGE +- buttons on the TWC Remote to flip through the different diagnostic pages, I think there are about 20 of them. One of the pages will show what frequency each tuner is locked at and the signal strength. If the signal is below -10dbmv then the splitters are probably causing too much signal loss. Our TWC DVR starts blocking and skipping around -12.
    Smile

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

I finally got the situation sorted, and the Amp DID help...
    After a bit of trial and error, I bought a 3 way "Low Loss" splitter (whatever that means) and split the incoming cable in the following manner:

Incoming cable to the 3way, with one leg to the Cable modem, one to the Phone modem and one to the Amp.
    Then from the amp (4way), I sent one leg to the "HD Prime/Cable card tuner", one to the "Tuning Adapter" and one to the Samsung DVR, terminating the last leg of the amp.

Not sure if this will help anyone else... But it did fix my problems and everything is running smooth now!

Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).