Thread: Format 4TB drive

Xtreme Enthusiast

Format 4TB drive

Been all over the web, following different instructions to format this WD Black 4TB drive. Will only recognize 2.2TB. I have win7 pro 64. Tried on 4 different systems including a laptop with Win8.1. I initialize GPT. Still won't. Anyone been through this and have a solution?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You initialize GPT in order to boot from it ? If yes, it will be only recognized by UEFI not simple BIOS

Also check this

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Only for storage, not boot drive. I've read that but already did those steps. Not sure if UEFI is needed for external storage only drive.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can you give more information of your system (board, bios, etc.) ?

Maybe you should contact tech support and ask if your motherboard is compatible ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I checked and its supported. Asus P9X79 LE. I even tried ubuntu on my laptop to see if I could do this. Nope. Still shows about 1.6TB before formatting. Read somewhere to try command line in windows might do it. Will put it internal today to see if this will work.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its done. After putting it in the computer, recognized all of it right away. Guess going through USB was the culprit.

Xtreme Guru
    Death to USB! Also, make sure to do the full format, quick format is worthless and will not find any bad sectors.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!