Thread: AMD for gaming rig? need educated on the hardware these days...

AMD for gaming rig? need educated on the hardware these days...

ok so i havent been back on this site in AGES, im now kind of getting back into building a new gaming rig and i was wondering if anyone knows of a sticky or a website where they have a list of all the new cpu's and gpu's and whats better than what, there are so many different names these days with amd phenom or phenom II and i5 this and i7 that, dual core, quad core, hardcore? who knows!

built my first computer back in like 2003 or 2004 and i loved it.i still remember the specs

amd 2400 mobile I-stepping- overclocked to 2.5 ghz (250 fsb)
    corsair pc-3200 1gb 2x512mb sticks, 2-2-2-11 timing (bh-5?)
    evga nvidia 6800 GT 256 mb i think?
    abit nf7-s v2 mobo
    a slk 900u heatsink with a crazy tornado fan on it

anyways i loved it..

i need info's, i need updated about what cpu's are hot nowadays, what video cards are good, if intel>Amd now? so i have kind of heard

and honestly i need to build a rig, roughly 1k-1200, possibly 1500 bucks as i need pretty much everything, ill stick with my old CRT for the time being,going to need everything basically from a case to the psu and a OS

any info you have is appreciated, im ready to build =)
    ~halo~

Xtreme Member
    Still using a CRT? Wow! How many hours do you spent per day in front of it? Do you use glasses?

Intel > AMD if you are building a rig right now but this doesn't mean that AMD is slow.

Check AMD FX83xx and Intel 4670/4770k(socket 1150) rigs.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Intel > AMD CPU wise. My laptop's i7-2630QM turboing at 2.4GHz pretty much performs as good as my "6 Core" FX-6300 OC'd to 4.1GHz.

I'd look into building an Intel i5 series rig unless you can find a smoking deal on an FX-83xx series and matching motherboard, but AM3+ is pretty much a dead platform now, so...

On the video card front AMD (They bought ATI just in case you've been out of the loop that long) is pretty much equal to nvidia. An R9 270 is a great card, at a pretty reasonable price. What resolution does your CRT operate at?
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Nerdy Powerlifter
    If you're in the US (looks that way), look for deals on Slickdeals. I noticed there was a FX8350 for $150. $75ish cheaper than a 4670k. I agree with everyone else, unfortunately, Intel > AMD.

This is XS, so I'll just assume you're playing to OC. I'm guessing you're looking for a moderate air OC?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

unfortunatly i actually do not even have ANY working computer at the moment :\

the crt monitor i have i think does max 1280x1024? maybe a bit higher than that, hell i dont even know

i see the amd fx 8350 at newegg is 190 bucks (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113284) and 170 at micro center (http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...oxed_Processor)

intel i7 4770k is 340 at newegg...damn... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116901)

intel i5 4670 is 240 at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-899-_-Product)

this r9 270 at 150 bucks after $10 rebate isnt bad (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-090-_-Product)

this all looks promising, i mean i am in favor more of the i5 side of things but is getting the i7 worth the extra $? i know the graphics card (the r9 270) isnt the BEST, maybe an i7 may be overkill with such a slow gpu...

im planning on playing everquest next and the system will be 90% gaming, 10% browsing and paying bills online, so raw power is what i need

and also yes i do plan on OCing and yes ill go with air cooling, i have no clue on what is good for air cooling these days, i was on the amd side 10 years ago and i had a pretty good OC going, i loved that rig =\
    ~halo~

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halomarine99 View Post
    unfortunatly i actually do not even have ANY working computer at the moment :\

the crt monitor i have i think does max 1280x1024? maybe a bit higher than that, hell i dont even know

i see the amd fx 8350 at newegg is 190 bucks (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113284) and 170 at micro center (http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...oxed_Processor)

intel i7 4770k is 340 at newegg...damn... (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116901)

intel i5 4670 is 240 at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-899-_-Product)

this r9 270 at 150 bucks after $10 rebate isnt bad (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-090-_-Product)

this all looks promising, i mean i am in favor more of the i5 side of things but is getting the i7 worth the extra $? i know the graphics card (the r9 270) isnt the BEST, maybe an i7 may be overkill with such a slow gpu...

im planning on playing everquest next and the system will be 90% gaming, 10% browsing and paying bills online, so raw power is what i need

and also yes i do plan on OCing and yes ill go with air cooling, i have no clue on what is good for air cooling these days, i was on the amd side 10 years ago and i had a pretty good OC going, i loved that rig =\
    Amazon has the same price as MicroCenter on the FX-8350 currently but now that they are charging sales tax the free shipping means diddly for someone like me who can drive to MicroCenter in ~20 minutes.

I think it is too early to buy hardware for Everquest Next. It has a long way to go before it will even be at a closed beta stage, let alone a complete game. I have been infrequently playing the Landmark closed beta (same engine as Everquest Next) and from one patch to the next I have switched from being entirely GPU bound to CPU bound. The framerate is horribly spiky even with barely anything going on.. Just walking around the landscape and I'll see framerate dips that don't seem relevant to what terrain is visible. I would be very surprised if there was playable (enjoyable) version of Everquest Next within the next nine months or longer. I would wait until at least the next round of video cards come out before putting together a system if that game is your primary use for it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'd lean towards the i5 and the R9 270, and put the rest towards a new monitor. I still have a CRT as well, but it's a Trinitron sweetheart that can do high resolution at a high refresh rate.

1280x1024 is pretty bad these days, and you'd be well off getting something better like a nice IPS LCD.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Wow really I wouldnt think the eq next sould be running that terribld. I mean the graphics are nice but not....that crazy. Im torn now hearing that because yes I really do want to be apart of thd eq next generation. I played original everquest way back 10++ years ago. I didnt think it should be that far away from completion....

Argh what system are u using to play landmark?

Its probly better than this i5 r9 270 build that I and u all have had in mind for me -_-
    ~halo~

there's no reason not to use a FX combo if it is to play with 1920X1080 at least, buy a good Fx a good board and spend money in the gpu
    i have P55 (i5 750) / X79 (4930K) / Z68 (i5 2500K) and AM3+ (8320) and playing wont notice any difference between them using gtx 580 3gb / R9 290 4gb / 7870 LE 2gb with cheap 1920X1080 lcds
    and just love to overclock the 8320 with CHVF

Xtreme Member
    Concerning the potential performance we will see with EQ Next, I think we can look to PlanetSide 2 for that in some ways due to being built on the same engine (I think EQ:N uses a slighty updated version). I would also argue from everything I have seen thus far the graphics on PS2 look better compared to EQ:N. If I were you I would most definitely go for a Intel processor. PlanetSide 2 runs way better on Intel CPUs compared to AMD's due to being CPU bound. For GPUs either Nvidia or AMD run fine. A 270 should be able to run the game without issue, though max graphics could potentially put a damper on the system. My 4670K and 7850 (slower card compared to the 270) run PS2 without any problems. I also would recommend getting a SSD for sure if you haven't thought about it. Makes your system very very snappy.

I did log into Landmark one day with my system and it really did not handle the game to well that mentioned above. However the game is nowhere near being released, so I am not that worried about the current level of performance.
    Last edited by xBanzai89; 06-10-2014 at 03:57 AM.

FX-6300/GB GA-970A-UD3P
    : $190 with code EMCPDWP28 before $10 rebate

MSI R9 280: $230 with code EMCPDPE36 before $30 rebate

That should leave you more than enough room for any extra goodies ...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Halomarine99 View Post
    Wow really I wouldnt think the eq next sould be running that terribld. I mean the graphics are nice but not....that crazy. Im torn now hearing that because yes I really do want to be apart of thd eq next generation. I played original everquest way back 10++ years ago. I didnt think it should be that far away from completion....

Argh what system are u using to play landmark?

Its probly better than this i5 r9 270 build that I and u all have had in mind for me -_-
    Oh no I'm on old hardware but Landmark is really unoptomized at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if I could get twice the performance once they do some more work on the engine. Even those with new gaming computers are complaining about low (compared to any equivalent game) framerates at the moment. Right now they are still adding major features and that is a higher priority than optimizations.

These are my current settings on air cooling. I am going back to water cooling this week and possibly upgrading to a FX processor as well so I can tell you if that helps.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...netside-2-dev/
    Hopefully they port those improvements to the other projects running on the engine and FX processors will have a fair footing for Landmark & Everquest Next.

Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post

FX-6300/GB GA-970A-UD3P
    : $190 with code EMCPDWP28 before $10 rebate

MSI R9 280: $230 with code EMCPDPE36 before $30 rebate

That should leave you more than enough room for any extra goodies ...

This looks promising and that card look nice but isnt that card pci 3.0 and am3 doesnt support it?

Argh whats with amd not stepping up the game. Am3 socket seems like its pretty much at the end of its lifespan at this point

-_-
    ~halo~

And I think this sytem would run eq next fine once its optimzed. But besudes the fx 83xx series whats left ?
    ~halo~

PCIe Gen3 video cards work just dandy in Gen2 slots ... miniscule (if any) difference in performance. If you need high thru-put, an -FX motherboard has 42 PCIe Gen2 lanes

The thing is ... it's all dead. DDR4 memory should be making its way into desktops in the next year or so. We might be able to afford it in 2 years or so

Here's a full version of Win8.1 for $95 with code EMCPDWP64.

The best component for any new rig these days is an SSD. Crucial and Kingston 240GB models hit $100-$110 on the Egg-Blast last week. IPS-panel monitors ($160 with code EMCPDWP53) would be the best step coming from a CRT because of color reproduction, but their response (8ms for that Dell as an example) can be slow in fast-action gaming.

5ms and below is the 'standard' for LED-panels with the woods full of great bargains on 2ms models.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The FX-6300 is an "okay" CPU, but like I said, overclocked to 4.1 GHz, the 2.4GHz i7-2630QM in my laptop performs just as good.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme 3D Team
    I might release a few FX 8 core CPUs really cheap in a couple weeks, depends on how good they are.
    Smile