Thread: DeepCool GamerStorm GF140

Threaded View

Xtreme Reviewer

DeepCool GamerStorm GF140

Introduction

Deepcool, based in China, is a very popular company to the cooling scene and it's fairly established company. They have a big range of cooling products for Servers, Desktops and Laptops. Their main goal is to provide maintain customer satisfaction by serving customer's ever-changing thermal needs and providing the quickest and most comprehensive service available.Today, I'll be having a detailed look at their all new GF140 Fans under its GAMER STORM brand.

Main Specifications:

Packaging and Bundle

The DeepCool GamerStorm GF140 fan ships in a clear plastic packet with the product clearly visible from the front.These coloured fans looks great.

The rear of the packet highlights the specifications of the unit.

Inside the packet is a 7V voltage reduction 3 pin adapter and 4 rubber rivots.

The fan

The Deepcool GF140 fan is rather eye catching and nicely finished, comprised of 9 fan blades.

The Deepcool GF140 fan in red would look great in a red chassis from the likes of Lian Li or NZXT.

The fan measures 140mm x 140mm x 25mm and weighs 179g.

Deepcool GF140 is a round frame Hydro Bearing 140mm fan, 26mm thick that comes in Green and Red color options.

Its operating voltage is from 10.8~13.2VDC achieving speed of 700~1200RPM.

The blades of the fan are made from a combination of rubber and plastic which is aimed to reduce turbulence and noise.

There is PWM connector on the fan cable, meaning that it could be system-controlled.

Another nice touch is that the cable itself is made from PTFE (Poly Tetra Fluoro Ethylene), which is fire resistant.

The fan frame is covered with TPE (Thermoplastic Polyurethane Elastomer) that absorbs vibrations, allowing for silent operation.

Airflow is optimized by implementation of AACC technology (Airflow Auto-Control Channel) on the fan blades.

The construction quality of the fan is very high, and it is immediately noticeable all of the fine attention to detail, even on the corners of the unit.

Test System and Methology

Test System:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme
    Motherboard: Asus P9X79
    Cpu cooler:Thermalright HR-22
    Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ares
    Graphics Card:2 X GTX 560 Ti Hawk
    Power Supply: Seasonic G-Series 650W
    Chassis: Lian-Li PC80
    Monitor: Dell U2311
    Boot Drive: Intel SSD 510
    Storage Drive: WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD

Software:

CPUID HW Monitor 1.23
    CPUID CPU-Z 1.65
    Prime95 v27.1
    Furmark 1.11.0

I am testing the GF 140's performance as follows:

Room temperature is kept at 22C throughout my tests.
    The CPU Fan is set to 100% to eliminate inconsistencies as a result of PWM control.
    Idle temperatures are obtained after booting the PC and idling on the desktop for 30 minutes.
    CPU load temperatures are obtained after running Prime95′s Small FTTs test for 15 minutes.
    GPU load temperatures are obtained after running Furmark's Burn-In Test for 15 minutes.
    To measure noise levels i disable the CPU fans,GPU fan and rear pc case 120mm fan.

Results

As you can see the GF140 fans definitely offered up an advantage over the Lian-Li 140mm fans at equivalent speeds. This advantage on my system is around 2 degrees.

The Lian-Li fans are quite loud, spinning up to 48.9dBa are clearly audible and moderately intrusive.The DeepCool GamerStorm GF140 fans by comparison are extremely quiet.

Conclusion

I don't often analyse fans on Xtremesystems.org, mainly because it is such a dull prospect for everyone involved.Until DeepCool took some time to explain the new GamerStorm GF140 design i was ready to politely refuse and move onto something "more interesting".I am glad i decided to accept the samples for review, because the GF140 fans are something special.There is no doubt in my mind that while DeepCool may still be earning their reputation in the enthusiast sector, that they are coming up with some great ideas.The 140mm fans should be rated with the quietest fans currently available and my testing has shown that by removing the default Lian-li fans on the PC-80 pc case, you can reduce system noise emissions substantially.I for one thoroughly enjoy building a nice quiet system and always budget in extra money for quality fans.We all know that many case manufacturers will use the cheapest fans they can order, in bulk to keep down their costs.

The GF140 not only looked fantastic, but I couldn't hear it when it was switched on, earning it bonus points.The fact that DeepCool are selling fans in 2 different colours is also sure to prove popular with the image conscious enthusiast system builder. Technically, they are high grade Hydro Bearing fans built to last a very long time , in excess of 100,000 hours.I have no hesitiation in giving these DeepCool GamerStorm GF140 fans my Great award. They are exceptionally well built, emit virtually no noise, but can compete with many performance fans currently shipping with pc cases.I don't yet have confirmed pricing or store links, but I have been told that prices will range between 11 and 13 Euro's, per fan.

Last edited by testman78; 06-05-2014 at 02:13 PM.