Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64-bit Chrome available for Windows now!

Xtreme Addict

64-bit Chrome available for Windows now!

Chrome is now available in 64-bit for Windows http://blog.chromium.org/2014/06/try...anary-and.html

Supposedly you can do an in place upgrade just by downloading and installing the new version over your old too. (I had already uninstalled and re installed the new version by the time I read that :P)

Dev and Canary versions only for now though.
    Last edited by Zaskar; 06-03-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    Using Chrome? No thanks, I know better.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mano View Post
    IE all the way.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Please elaborate.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by WangChung View Post
    Please elaborate.
    I wouldn't be too curious, it probably involves tinfoil hats.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Doesn't matter what browser you use. They are all unsecure.

Xtreme Addict
    Chrome browser is good, Its not horribly slow like Firefox. The only downside I have with it is that the pepper flash plugin sometimes goes funny after updates and youtube videos no longer display full screen properly meaning I have to enable the standard adobe flash plugin which doesnt seem to work with Adblock Plus.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    Chrome browser is good, Its not horribly slow like Firefox.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Its not opinion it's fact, Chrome is faster than Firefox.

That said Chrome does still have its issues like I mentioned above. I use Chrome at home but Firefox in the office, mainly due to chromes incompatability with some of our internal sites.

Tried installing the Canary version and it doesn't even load any bloody pages, even with a clean install. Will stick to 32bit Chrome for the time being until it becomes a bit more stable.

Xtreme Addict
    Chrome is a data gathering platform disguised as an internet browser.
    It comes from a company that makes money out of selling your privacy.
    Does not respect the "do not track me " requests.

Why would I use Chrome when I can use Firefox which follows standars, is as fast as any other browser, and does not make money selling my privacy?
    Last edited by El Mano; 06-04-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    What he said

Xtreme Guru
    maxthon?

Xtreme Member
    GTX 880 with 64 bit OS support confirmed?!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    cool thanks for the info! going to give it a try.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Member
    It's amazing how software update threads attract haters.

Thanks op for the heads up - although I mainly use Firefox there are occasions where I need/prefer another browser for testing, I always have 4 installed, Chrome being one of them.
    Intel 6700K @ 4.3 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
    4x4GB Corsair DDR3-2800
    GTX980Ti MSI Lightning
    Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
    4 x Intel 80GB x25-m SSD's RAID0
    Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W

Quote Originally Posted by chinobino View Post
    It's amazing how software update threads attract defenders with complete denial of reality...
    Fixed it for you.

Chrome may be setup as generally secure as other browsers, primarily by techy-types of course, but for the unwashed and uninformed masses it's simply not the case.

It's primarily the 'younger' types installing it on family computers without a secure setup. I've seen it happen countless times.

I've also seen it in office environments where a secure IE or Firefox browser has been configured, but an unsecured Chrome has been installed because, "Sally likes to use it ..."

What does it being 64 bit actually give?
    I know Chrome is an absolute memory whore but i don't think being 64bit will fix that
    Bring on the motorbikes!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by himaro View Post
    What does it being 64 bit actually give?
    I know Chrome is an absolute memory whore but i don't think being 64bit will fix that
    Memory management is much less complicated using the large flat 64-bit virtual address space. This provides foremost a better scalability and stable operation and while this won't magically shrink memory occupancy, it will reduce the waste and (possibly) leakage, making the performance degradation more graceful.

Xtreme Addict
    You'll probably find Chromes default install is actually a lot more secure than the most of the other major browsers, Opera would probably be the most secure, partly because they have a very good dev team and the lack of people using it in comparison to the others meaning its not targeted as much.

I would always advise people to install Adblock plus or something similar. I would say to add ones such as NotScripts also but for the non techy people out there NotScripts can be a major PITA as it will block a lot by default and most non tech people dont want that extra headache.

I am Xtreme
    You'll probably find Chromes default install is actually a lot more secure than the most of the other major browsers, Opera would probably be the most secure, partly because they have a very good dev team and the lack of people using it in comparison to the others meaning its not targeted as much.
    Opera is Chromium-based, the biggest difference from Chrome code base being UI... It is hardly more secure.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, did not know that. Been a long time since I've looked at Opera, Having read up on it I guess it made sense if they couldn't keep up using their own engine.
    Last edited by Scubar; 06-05-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Wow, did not know that. Been a long time since I've looked at Opera, Having read up on it I guess it made sense if they couldn't keep up using their own engine.
    Chrome/Opera is the rough equivalent of Firefox-Thunderbird/SeaMonkey Suite.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's the 21st century outside, which means privacy is rotting in it's grave if it ever even really existed in the 1st place.

Every major company tracks at least some part of your online activities, if you believe otherwise you're just naive or in denial. You could set yourself up in tin foil land and they'd still find a way to get you if they really were bothered to.

Oh and Firefox is slow as compared to Chrome.

Xtreme Addict
    Chrome is a data gathering platform disguised as an internet browser.

Why would I use Chrome when I can use Firefox which follows standars, is as fast as any other browser, and does not make money selling my privacy?
    Oh dear lol.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Opera is Chromium-based, the biggest difference from Chrome code base being UI... It is hardly more secure.
    Only in the more recent versions, which is mostly why I stopped using Opera. ATM it's just a slightly tier Chrome with some of their own stuff bolted on.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast