Thread: SPD Reading/Flashing with RaspberryPi

Xtreme n00berclocker

SPD Reading/Flashing with RaspberryPi

TiN and I have been working on an open source project for flashing DDR3/DDR4 SPDs using a RaspberryPi. You can follow the project on xDevs.com as well as grab the code.

TiN designed an awesome PCB for DDR3/DDR4 slots that connects up to the RaspberyPi and lets you flash your modules.

This is the top of the board that TiN designed.

And the back side of the board

It has three switches for changing the address as well as LEDs to indicate which address is being used.

He also included a header to connect the RaspberryPi as well as a power switch.

He also added support for a MCU so eventually we can plug this via USB into a regular PC to flash.

Here it is in action flashing DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    damn you guys...am i in a three way and didn't know it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian y.
    Im exclusively benching ECS from this point forward

This is an interesting project! Well done, TiN and Planet!
    However, I have to admit, for a layman like me it looks like lots of time and effort is needed to build one...

Quote Originally Posted by TiN @ HWBOT
    Available - now, you can get all needed files from article here.
    Cost - 0 USD, FREE.

It's build yourself educational project, I don't personally have plans to make it like a "ready-to-go kit" at this moment.
    Just did it for own needs on a free weekend, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Nice project, well done guys,
    looks like it's time to dig up my Pi from the basement.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_Dan View Post
    This is an interesting project! Well done, TiN and Planet!
    However, I have to admit, for a layman like me it looks like lots of time and effort is needed to build one...
    If you have an old DDR3 motherboard, some wire, soldering equipment and a RaspberryPi it should only take a few minutes. I'll post up a guide on how to do it in a little bit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet View Post
    If you have an old DDR3 motherboard, some wire, soldering equipment and a RaspberryPi it should only take a few minutes. I'll post up a guide on how to do it in a little bit.
    Very interested in seeing that guide. I'm almost certain that what takes you only a few minutes is more like a day's worth of time for me (not to mention perhaps more than a few sacrificial motherboards).
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

On an old DDR3 motherboard I could also use SPDTool, on newer motherboards there's still the possibility to use Thaiphoon Burner. Though I admire the work you put into the project, the use of it seems very little to me. Software is a lot more practical in most cases, only if you don't want to hotplug or don't know which pins to cover with tape, then the hardware solution can be used to recover sticks with borked SPDs.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    On an old DDR3 motherboard I could also use SPDTool, on newer motherboards there's still the possibility to use Thaiphoon Burner. Though I admire the work you put into the project, the use of it seems very little to me. Software is a lot more practical in most cases, only if you don't want to hotplug or don't know which pins to cover with tape, then the hardware solution can be used to recover sticks with borked SPDs.
    Software is ok if you are using an older board thats supported but alot of the time I dont have one running. Also hardware is much easier to flash and if anything goes wrong its simple to reflash. Also need a way to flash DDR4.

Xtreme Addict
    Software is ok if you are using an older board thats supported but alot of the time I dont have one running. Also hardware is much easier to flash and if anything goes wrong its simple to reflash. Also need a way to flash DDR4.
    Not to mention it's awesome! Raspberry Pi FTW>
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

ha! very well done!

p.p. nice pcb
    PROUD|REX|E8600|2*1GB HYPER|9800GTX+ DK|on AIR
    XOCT |RIIIBE|i7 920|3*2GB HYPER|4890 MATRIX|460W Enermax 3in1 24p|SyncMaster 940BF|on AIR
    MEMBER|RIVBE|i7 4960X|4*2GB HYPER|GTX 470 SOC|1KW SilentPro|TV|Seidon 240|

Well, Thaiphoon Burner should support all current platforms and DDR4, though not having a way to flash DDR4 is probably only a problem for very few people at the moment.
    As I said, I can only see this being useful when you mess up the SPD or something goes wrong during the flashing process.

Xtreme XIP
    Awsome little gadget , thank you Jake and TiN for sharing this with the community.

Xtreme n00berclocker
    Well, Thaiphoon Burner should support all current platforms and DDR4, though not having a way to flash DDR4 is probably only a problem for very few people at the moment.
    As I said, I can only see this being useful when you mess up the SPD or something goes wrong during the flashing process.
    Not all chipsets plus it can be finicky if the right drivers aren't installed. This solution works 100%