Thread: Do you guys think this could actually work?

Do you guys think this could actually work?

So yesterday, I was on the phone with a former colleague, and he was telling me about a side project his boss had been brain storming for about a year and finally got a team together to attempt to bring forward.

His idea? Use the Oculus Rift, along with a pseudo game that would have different "child's dream" scenarios built on-top of it, set up in children's hospitals for terminal kids. Think walking with the dinosaurs, being a fireman, flying, etc. Essentially, giving the kids without much time left to live the chance to live out their dreams.

Honestly, I think it sounds awesome if he can actually get the backing for it. Combined with Cryengine 4 or UE4, some impressive feats could be accomplished if they only have to focus on top end set ups. Just want to see what other hardware sites think about it.

Here's a link to the page. He would've started it sooner, but KickStarter denied him because it's for charity, which is apparently banned from their site. He's been arguing with them for months, and finally he said screw it and went another route.

https://www.facebook.com/childsmindroams
    Last edited by DilTech; 05-16-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Addict
    I envision it like the psychological world in Ender's Game, pretty cool idea!

PS: Ender's Game the film was probably one of the better book to movie films I've seen in a long time.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

That's kind of how I see it too. The idea hits close to home with me, as my sister was born with cancer and spent a vast majority of her short life in St. Louis Children's Hospital, which is apparently where he'd like to test it out. This could be one of the best uses for the Rift.

Something like this, along-side the Make a Wish foundation, could seriously do a lot to make those children's short time here less dreary.
    Last edited by DilTech; 05-15-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty