Thread: Chilled Water Cooling Using Peltier/TEC Assembly Now 17 Months in Operation.

Chilled Water Cooling Using Peltier/TEC Assembly Now 17 Months in Operation.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28...-water-cooling

To save some typing I've supplied a link to my cooling, as I am 4Ryan6 at Toms Hardware, if you have any questions that are not answered for you in the link, I'll be glad to answer them here.

Best to all here! Ryan

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For anyone that has the slightest interest in a 24/7 peltier based water chilled system, then I would encourage you to read Ryan's work log. I think that not only will you find it a very interesting read, but if you are so inclined, you will find a blueprint to building a fully functioning, and relatively compact system.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Reefa_Madness View Post
    For anyone that has the slightest interest in a 24/7 peltier based water chilled system, then I would encourage you to read Ryan's work log. I think that not only will you find it a very interesting read, but if you are so inclined, you will find a blueprint to building a fully functioning, and relatively compact system.
    Thanks!

Hows things with you?

I know this day, Mothers Day, will be tough for you once again as is every day you face without Gracie, I pray for God's Grace to get you through! Ryan
    Last edited by RyNemesis; 05-11-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks, Ryan...probably harder on the kids, as the reminders are everywhere they look. It has been 3 years, so while the pain from the loss is still there, perhaps the wound has healed somewhat.

Plus we take comfort in knowing that we will see her again in due time.
    In memory of Gracie, my sweet, sweet wife and mother of my children. Darling, we will miss you dearly. May you rest in peace (born to this world on March 30, 1976; went to her Heavenly Father on Good Friday, April 22, 2011).

http://animoto.com/play/E0wFhd6tN0nA...ent=challenger

Heat

Xtreme Addict
    Very interesting.

Bencher/Gamer(1) 4930K - Asus R4E - 2x R9 290x - G.skill Pi 2200c7 or Team 2400LV 4x4GB - EK Supreme HF - SR1-420 - Qnix 2560x1440
    Netbox AMD 5600K - Gigabyte mitx - Aten DVI/USB/120Hz KVM
    PB 1xTitan=16453(3D11), 1xGTX680=13343(3D11), 1x GTX580=8733(3D11)38000(3D06) 1x7970=12059(3D11)40000(vantage)395k(AM3) Folding for team 24

AUSTRALIAN DRAG RACING http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFsbfEIy3Yw

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How efficient would a setup like this be? I can't help but think it would use a bunch of electric.
    q9550 @ 444 x 8.5 1.3v - Venomous X
    p5q DLX
    Ocz RPR 1066 4 x 2g @ 1066
    eah5870 V2 @ 920/1250 - HR-03gt
    Antec Fusion Remote MAX
    Xonar HDAV1.3
    Ocz zx850w

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    How efficient would a setup like this be? I can't help but think it would use a bunch of electric.
    Peltiers are not efficient, and never have been claimed to be so, to the best of my knowledge.

It falls more into the category of acceptable use!, for the below ambient cooling trade off.

Both peltiers energized use a constant 400w wall power, at 200w each, that's the equivalent of running 4 100w lights when both are energized because it is a constant power draw, that wattage is a personally solid tested power draw fact, from actual wall outlet readings.

In my beginning of seeking a below ambient cooling solution I was using a 54qt Coleman camping cooler and freezing ice in gallon jugs with a 10 gallon total water volume with the jugs submerged, I was using 2 freezers to freeze the ice, the peltiers dropped my monthly power bill by $50 US dollars, compared to running 2 freezers freezing the ice for the cooler.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27...-water-cooling

So to me the expense is more than acceptable, as my goal was to have the peltiers be able to drop my water temperature in the insulated reservoir down to 10c, and they handle that and beyond, so the electrical expense is absolutely acceptable to me, but however, it may not be to you!

The electrical use is what it is and there's no getting around that, so it's either an acceptable expense or not, it's up to the individual user, but if the setup is duplicated you'll get the same results.

Going below ambient is going to cost an additional added expense anyway you look at it besides the expense for the hardware itself, that has to be taken into consideration from the beginning.

Whether it is extreme, or mildly extreme as what I class this cooling solution, and this particular cooling solution requires electrical power and the hardware cost to achieve it, anything of any useful value will cost you something!

When you consider what it would take in the traditional radiator water cooling realm just to get as close as possible to ambient, then this initial hardware cost to go below ambient is more than logical especially when you take into consideration my 3770K is overclocked to over 5ghz and it has not been delidded!

Check the CPU temperature at the time of the validation.

Last edited by RyNemesis; 05-15-2014 at 02:34 AM.

Oh,I know these guys
    Bong cooler stays sub-ambient all the time. (6-11c in res) :P http://www.overclock.net/t/406256/th...56k-fail/0_100
    with just 1 pump.
    Ryan's gets cooler, though.

Quote Originally Posted by schmuckley View Post
    Oh,I know these guys
    Bong cooler stays sub-ambient all the time. (6-11c in res) :P http://www.overclock.net/t/406256/th...56k-fail/0_100
    with just 1 pump.
    Ryan's gets cooler, though.
    Sup schmuckley?

How've you been doing?