Thread: Video capture software for Windows gaming.

Xtreme Addict

Video capture software for Windows gaming.

Hello,
    I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times all over the internet, but I keep finding different opinions so I can't make up my mind.
    I'll trust this community however, so here it goes:

Which video capture software would you recommend me?
    My games are installed on an SSD, but I intend to store all videos in an external HDD using USB 3.0, in case it matters.
    I don't need awesome detail or quality, as I plan on sharing my videos over Line and Telegram, no Youtube.

Thank you very much!

Xtreme Addict
    Nobody?
    Seriously?

I've always been a fan of FRAPS http://fraps.com/ as they were the first people to really make it work without impacting game performance. They're a little old fashioned and many of the younger guys use Open Broadcast Software http://obsproject.com/ as the UI and setup is a more modern.

Neither one is really superior to the other from the perspective of the video file generated but OBS is open source and donateware vs FRAPS being a more old school shareware with a purchase to unlock some of the higher end options. I purchased into FRAPS when they were the only game in town but once you purchase it you don't have to purchase again nor have multiple licenses for all your PCs.
    HARDWARE
    CPU: Intel i7-6700K - Delided and repaste w/Liquid Metal
    RAM: 4x4GB Kingston CL15 3000
    MB: Gigabyte Z170x-UD5-TH
    GPU: *Waiting for Vega*
    AUDIO: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
    HD:
    *waiting for NVME drive*
    1x512Gb Samsung 850 Pro
    2x150Gb Raptors RAID 0
    PSU:
    EVGA 850 P2
    Meanwell 320w-12(Running 13.4v for pumps)
    MNT:Acer 2423W & HP ZR24W

COOLING

CPU: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
    GPU: *SOME WATERBLOCK FOR VEGA*
    RAD: BlackIce III Extreme
    PMP: 2xLang D5 in series
    TUB: 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon Silver Antimicrobial
    FANs:
    3xDelta EFB1212SHE TriBlade
    2xSharktoon SK-2000-80
    2xCM Excalibur
    1xDelta GFB1212VHW

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Baenwort View Post
    I've always been a fan of FRAPS http://fraps.com/ as they were the first people to really make it work without impacting game performance. They're a little old fashioned and many of the younger guys use Open Broadcast Software http://obsproject.com/ as the UI and setup is a more modern.

Neither one is really superior to the other from the perspective of the video file generated but OBS is open source and donateware vs FRAPS being a more old school shareware with a purchase to unlock some of the higher end options. I purchased into FRAPS when they were the only game in town but once you purchase it you don't have to purchase again nor have multiple licenses for all your PCs.
    I think I'll try both. Thank you!

c[_]
    also MSI afterburner supports video recording, though i'm unsure how well it works as i've not tried yet.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    A little research revealed that many people like Afterburner over FRAPS, probably because of what Baenwort mentioned: it's getting old.
    I couldn't find many opinions about OBS so I'll just install it along with Aferburner and see after that.
    Thank you guys!

Xtreme Mentor
    i couldn't make afterburner work

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.