Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maxwell nVidia chips GM204 GM206 & put tape out back for 28nm manufacturing

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    If it comes...
    It will, since GDDR5 has exhausted its potential.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.geforce.com/landing-page/gaming-expo-e3-2014

Maxwell? Sounds like a possible announce date with cards a couple weeks later?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    http://www.geforce.com/landing-page/gaming-expo-e3-2014

Maxwell? Sounds like a possible announce date with cards a couple weeks later?
    Huum, dont they was informations that the chips have been taped out just recently ? ( March, April ), that seems a bit too early.. ( if we can trust this information ofc ). Looking at it, maybe more the release of TitanZ ?
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanek View Post
    Huum, dont they was informations that the chips have been taped out just recently ? ( March, April ), that seems a bit too early.. ( if we can trust this information ofc ). Looking at it, maybe more the release of TitanZ ?
    Older rumors had it they taped out last year, and that new rumor-mill article was based on some anonymous random forum post on the site's forums so I trust it absolutely zero percent. I think we'll see them in July sometime, which is why I think it's interesting timing on that event I linked... .

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
    Older rumors had it they taped out last year, and that new rumor-mill article was based on some anonymous random forum post on the site's forums so I trust it absolutely zero percent. I think we'll see them in July sometime, which is why I think it's interesting timing on that event I linked... .
    I agree with you, Golden Tiger.

20nm mass production has begun in January 2014. According to the recent news, 2Q should be the time of Apple`s A chips for iphones. 2 more factories were opened in April as well to mass produce 20nm. As well as the sources point out to Summer, at least the onces that are creditable enough.

Also, Fud talks of this as well: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34...o-support-h265

And as I said long time ago, Maxwell will be aimed at 4K. Plus the support of the latest codec suggests it as well.

Now before anyone goes nuts about Fudzilla: Last year they were the ones who proved the existence of 700 series cards by publishing an article, when Nvidia was planning a major series release, contacting their AIB partners. A little reminder: Almost no one thought 700 series would be released, people thought there would be only different Titans.

Fudzilla also talked about Maxwell coming in February before any other sites like 3d center and sites like that.

The only concern I have left is: Isn't June too early for an announcement with the release in July? Early July might be a better option.
    Last edited by SinOfLiberty; 05-21-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I dont say it is right or wrong, but dont do a misstake by compare SOC mass industrial production ( cited in this article ) with GPU / CPU (x86 ) production... at this point it is like compare Nand productions and CPU in term of fabrication process.. Today Nand can use 14-16nm Finfet.. forget to use the same process for CPU.
    TSMC is now more implied on producting SOC, that they are for GPU/CPU and high density chips. So their comments are not forcibly aimed to x86 system ..
    Last edited by Lanek; 05-21-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Addict
    I've never seen a companies stock hit a record high while supposedly having crippling manufacturing problems, causing their largest customers to jump-ship and/or delay products that were under contractual production agreements for upwards of a year. IMO, all that crap is based on fanboy speculation from biased media sources *cough* Charlie *cough* who are dependent on web traffic, so they make their own news.

I still go by what was said at recent share holder meetings where it was clearly stated that 20nm parts are being manufactured at TSMC for nVidia. Why? Because it's a serious crime to lie to share holders at those meetings because serious money is on the line.

In regards to your claim that there are multiple 20nm processes... that's utter hogwash. 20nm at both TSMC and GlobalFoundries are high performance. The difference between them is the node shift for TSMC is 20nm SoC which replaces 28nm HPM. While the node shift for GlobalFoundries is 20nm LPM replaces 28nm HPP. There is no cheap low power node that costs low and uses Poly-Si gates. Only expensive high performance nodes that costs high and uses HKMG. This is not a process suitable for NAND due to the long term costs associated with it.

TSMC is more than capable to make 20nm gpu's, the problem is all their capacity is being sucked up Apple's A8 20nm chip. We WILL see 20nm GPU's from at least nVidia this year. My money is late Q3 or early Q4.

TSMC's stock price hitting a record high today clearly shows that there are no production issues like the rumor-mill keeps claiming and if anything, demand seems to have far exceeded supply of 20nm wafers. The stock peaked on the news that they're doing record sales at TSMC and 20% of current revenue is coming from 20nm chips.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    TSMC's stock price hitting a record high today clearly shows that there are no production issues like the rumor-mill keeps claiming and if anything, demand seems to have far exceeded supply of 20nm wafers. The stock peaked on the news that they're doing record sales at TSMC and 20% of current revenue is coming from 20nm chips.
    They are ANTICIPATING that 20nm sales will account for 20% of it's Q4 revenue...
    Which is roughly what 28nm did, 22%, in Q4 2012.

Anyway, I agree that TSMC seems to be doing very well and 20nm appears to be moving along just as well as 28nm at this point.
    Last edited by LordEC911; 05-27-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    I've never seen a companies stock hit a record high while supposedly having crippling manufacturing problems, causing their largest customers to jump-ship and/or delay products that were under contractual production agreements for upwards of a year. IMO, all that crap is based on fanboy speculation from biased media sources *cough* Charlie *cough* who are dependent on web traffic, so they make their own news.

I still go by what was said at recent share holder meetings where it was clearly stated that 20nm parts are being manufactured at TSMC for nVidia. Why? Because it's a serious crime to lie to share holders at those meetings because serious money is on the line.

In regards to your claim that there are multiple 20nm processes... that's utter hogwash. 20nm at both TSMC and GlobalFoundries are high performance. The difference between them is the node shift for TSMC is 20nm SoC which replaces 28nm HPM. While the node shift for GlobalFoundries is 20nm LPM replaces 28nm HPP. There is no cheap low power node that costs low and uses Poly-Si gates. Only expensive high performance nodes that costs high and uses HKMG. This is not a process suitable for NAND due to the long term costs associated with it.

TSMC is more than capable to make 20nm gpu's, the problem is all their capacity is being sucked up Apple's A8 20nm chip. We WILL see 20nm GPU's from at least nVidia this year. My money is late Q3 or early Q4.

All this no 20nm fluff is garbage. 20nm from NV should be here in Q3.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SinOfLiberty View Post
    All this no 20nm fluff is garbage. 20nm from NV should be here in Q3.
    And I am sure you have no source to prove your claim, either.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    And I am sure you have no source to prove your claim, either.
    Well, if we went onto it, then 800 might not come out at all.

I say what is the most relevant and I have been right quiet a few times, considering my participation which there is not much of at all.

Edit: is there an official source about 20nm delay that keeps being relevant? I am sure, the answer is no.

I am Xtreme
    You can read your own thread that you started HERE.

It uses a leaked information from a fab (hence, quite accurate) about upcoming processors that were just taped out being made on 28nm. And those are targeting Q3 if no further delays occur.
    Donate to XS forums

I want some of what you guys are smoking if you believe nVidia 20nm GPUs will be arriving in Q3 of 2014.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    You can read your own thread that you started HERE.

It uses a leaked information from a fab (hence, quite accurate) about upcoming processors that were just taped out being made on 28nm. And those are targeting Q3 if no further delays occur.

Just because I stared it, does not mean I think the same.

I can create another thread, with different info if people would like.

We WILL see 20nm GPU's from at least nVidia this year. My money is late Q3 or early Q4.
    take a look at beyond3d . "Erinyes" suggests gm200, gm204 and gm206 are 28nm parts. I trust this guy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12